Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk :: View topic - ACL Reconstruction

Home FAQ Register Usergroups Search Memberlist Gallery StatisticsForum Sponsors •  Photo RequestProfile • Links Log in to check your private messagesLog inBC Eastmidlands

ACL Reconstruction

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Health & Fitness
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stotti
E, Bronze

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 6:03 am    Post subject: ACL Reconstruction Reply with quote

I had this operation yesterday due to a snapped ACL. I'm due to visit physio tomorrow but wondered if anyone had any tips/experience for getting back on the bike etc?

Cheers

I was ridin bikes when Moses wore short pants
Max Drury
E, Silver

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Order yourself a book called 'Clinical Sports Medicine' by Peter Brukner and Karim Khan.
It lists a structured rehabilitaion plan listing what you should be doing and when. It obviously depends on the severity of the injury eg. if you've torn your meniscus and whether you did any preoperative rehab.

I train a couple of guys who have acl reconstructions. One 5 years ago using a hamstring graft and the other 6 months ago using his patellar tendon and I find the book is worth it's weight in gold.

You'd probably be looking at about 3-4 months before Road Biking and 2 weeks before light 'exercise' biking. But, straight away the physios should have you doing gentle knee flexion and extension, hip abduction & extension and calf raises (also good idea to do dorsiflexon exercises for front of lower leg).
Make rubber tubing your friend and get your glutes working to save your knees Very Happy

Out of interest, how did you do rupture your acl?
Stotti
E, Bronze

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Max Drury wrote:
Order yourself a book called 'Clinical Sports Medicine' by Peter Brukner and Karim Khan.
It lists a structured rehabilitaion plan listing what you should be doing and when. It obviously depends on the severity of the injury eg. if you've torn your meniscus and whether you did any preoperative rehab.

I train a couple of guys who have acl reconstructions. One 5 years ago using a hamstring graft and the other 6 months ago using his patellar tendon and I find the book is worth it's weight in gold.

You'd probably be looking at about 3-4 months before Road Biking and 2 weeks before light 'exercise' biking. But, straight away the physios should have you doing gentle knee flexion and extension, hip abduction & extension and calf raises (also good idea to do dorsiflexon exercises for front of lower leg).
Make rubber tubing your friend and get your glutes working to save your knees Very Happy

Thanks Max - i'll get hold of the book. Did it playing football - had the hamstring graft.

Max Drury
E, Silver

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stotti wrote:
Max Drury wrote:

Thanks Max - i'll get hold of the book. Did it playing football - had the hamstring graft.

Hamstring is probably better from the research I've seen.
Did you suddenly turn and get your studs caught in the ground? Or was it direct trauma?
All the best with the rehab.
irishdave
E, Silver

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not alot can be given advice wise (your rehab plan should be individual to you and you alone) except be patient and give yourself the best possible rehab with regard to physio, rest etc.

expensive book but years of reading and learning....

i take mine everywhere !!!

good luck with the rehab.

Dave
Stotti
E, Bronze

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Max Drury wrote:
Stotti wrote:
Max Drury wrote:

Did you suddenly turn and get your studs caught in the ground? Or was it direct trauma?

Yes but it was on astro turf - i turned but my lower leg didnt Crying or Very sad

Max Drury
E, Silver

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stotti wrote:
Max Drury wrote:
Stotti wrote:
Max Drury wrote:

Yes but it was on astro turf - i turned but my lower leg didnt Crying or Very sad

Big 'ouch' factor!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Health & Fitness All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: