Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk :: View topic - Carbs or Protein

Home FAQ Register Usergroups Search Memberlist Gallery StatisticsForum Sponsors •  Photo RequestProfile • Links Log in to check your private messagesLog inBC Eastmidlands

Carbs or Protein

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Health & Fitness
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Andrew Jackson
E, Gold

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 5:00 pm    Post subject: Carbs or Protein Reply with quote

Just been looking at the "new" way of eating as featured in CW and the book by Joe Friel - Paleo for atheletes.

Anyone tried it ?
Terry Tibbs
E, Gold

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Carbs or Protein Reply with quote

Andrew Jackson wrote:
Just been looking at the "new" way of eating as featured in CW and the book by Joe Friel - Paleo for atheletes.

Anyone tried it ?

describe
Andrew Jackson
E, Gold

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Carbs or Protein Reply with quote

Terry Tibbs wrote:
Andrew Jackson wrote:

Anyone tried it ?

describe

Rather than eat the usual pasta, rice, bread, potatoes day in day out and then load up on extra carbs the day before an event it's suggested that you eat a more natural d1et based on fruit, veg, lean meat protein, fish, nuts etc. Then use carbs before (2 hours), during and after exercise. The bias for protein as calories will get the body running leaner, more efficient, repair tissue quicker (recovery) and reduce inflammation. Carbs are allowed but protein and veg etc have the bias.

http://www2.trainingbible.com/joesblog/2007_04_01_archive.html
Pocket Rocket
E, Silver

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as you have enough glycogen in your muscles for racing/training then it seems good. If I was doing a 100 mile race the next day i'd still want to shovel the pasta in the night before though.
Tucker
Tour Winner

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Carbs or Protein Reply with quote

Andrew Jackson wrote:

Anyone tried it ?

Its not that one where you shove food up your ar$e and crap out of your mouth, is it?

I missed pringles.
Badger
E, Gold

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

can anyone recommend a good protein recovery drink, preferably one that doesn't make you parp like Rego
elaina

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Badger wrote:
can anyone recommend a good protein recovery drink, preferably one that doesn't make you parp like Rego

Try Maximuscle
Roy Gardiner
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here we go again.

Low/reduced carb is what helped me lose weight; cut right down on (as listed above) pasta, bread, rice, potatoes.

But the standard reply is 'all you did was cut your calorie intake.'

"Everything in war is simple, but the simplest thing is difficult." Carl Von Clausewitz
Badger
E, Gold

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roy Gardiner wrote:
Here we go again.

Low/reduced carb is what helped me lose weight; cut right down on (as listed above) pasta, bread, rice, potatoes.

I personally don't need to lose weight. Just want something to stop my legs getting so sore. Could eat alot of steak I guess.
Billy Boy
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Badger wrote:
Roy Gardiner wrote:
Here we go again.

I personally don't need to lose weight. Just want something to stop my legs getting so sore. Could eat alot of steak I guess.

Do what I do, drive.

"Eating is not for wimps" - coal miner

"most of us don't have your brilliance." - John McC
Badger
E, Gold

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy Boy wrote:
Badger wrote:
Roy Gardiner wrote:
Here we go again.

Do what I do, drive.

won't I get a sore bottom?
Terry Tibbs
E, Gold

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Badger wrote:
Roy Gardiner wrote:
Here we go again.

HMB might work. Its helped me in the gym anyways
Terry Tibbs
E, Gold

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Carbs or Protein Reply with quote

Andrew Jackson wrote:
Terry Tibbs wrote:
Andrew Jackson wrote:

Anyone tried it ?

describe

Rather than eat the usual pasta, rice, bread, potatoes day in day out and then load up on extra carbs the day before an event it's suggested that you eat a more natural d1et based on fruit, veg, lean meat protein, fish, nuts etc. Then use carbs before (2 hours), during and after exercise. The bias for protein as calories will get the body running leaner, more efficient, repair tissue quicker (recovery) and reduce inflammation. Carbs are allowed but protein and veg etc have the bias.

That's pretty sensible. Done something similar when racing. Felt like I'd taken something when I'd load up more for a race.
Tucker
Tour Winner

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 6:23 am    Post subject: Re: Carbs or Protein Reply with quote

Andrew Jackson wrote:
Terry Tibbs wrote:
Andrew Jackson wrote:

Anyone tried it ?

describe

Sounds like bolleaux. Are there any scientific studies proving that this theory works, or has some guy decided he likes the sound of it and written a book to help pay off his mortgage?
KJ
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Badger wrote:
Billy Boy wrote:
Badger wrote:
Roy Gardiner wrote:
Here we go again.

Do what I do, drive.

won't I get a sore bottom?

More likely if you eat too much protein and not enough fibre or too much fibre.

Personally my *CENSORED* has always been quite prehistoric. High amount of unprocessed grains, nuts, fruit and vegetables. My system struggles however with protein.
mattr
World Champ

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KJ wrote:
Personally my diet has always been quite prehistoric. High amount of unprocessed grains, nuts, fruit and vegetables. My system struggles however with protein.

Christ, i thought you were in your 50's.
Stotti
E, Bronze

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 11:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Carbs or Protein Reply with quote

Andrew Jackson wrote:
Terry Tibbs wrote:
Andrew Jackson wrote:

Anyone tried it ?

describe

I just ordered the book off amazon - £5.99
I get sore joints and one of the big benefits is reduced inflammation which can be caused by having an acidic system, which is generated by processed sugars and carbs/starch etc. Gonna give it a try as I need to lose some weight anyway following 5 weeks off the bike after my ACL repair.

I was ridin bikes when Moses wore short pants
LewisJ
Cat 2 Groupie
Cat 2 Groupie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Carbs or Protein Reply with quote

Stotti wrote:
I get sore joints and one of the big benefits is reduced inflammation which can be caused by having an acidic system, which is generated by processed sugars and carbs/starch etc. Gonna give it a try as I need to lose some weight anyway following 5 weeks off the bike after my ACL repair.

A high carb d i e t will more than likely actually lead a more alkaline blood pH.

A high protein d i e t will more than likely lead to a more acidic blood pH for 2 reasons. 1. Inceased intake of sulphur containing amino acids, which reduce blood pH and 2. If liver glycogen is not kept topped up, due to the reduced carb intake this will lead to ketoacidosis (production of ketones to supply the brain with energy).
Stotti
E, Bronze

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 8:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Carbs or Protein Reply with quote

LewisJ wrote:
Stotti wrote:

A high carb d i e t will more than likely actually lead a more alkaline blood pH.

A high protein d i e t will more than likely lead to a more acidic blood pH for 2 reasons. 1. Inceased intake of sulphur containing amino acids, which reduce blood pH and 2. If liver glycogen is not kept topped up, due to the reduced carb intake this will lead to ketoacidosis (production of ketones to supply the brain with energy).

CW said opposite last week. I'll see what the book has to say and if youre right i'll ask CW for me 5.99 back Wink

I was ridin bikes when Moses wore short pants
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Health & Fitness All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: