Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk :: View topic - "Sorry Mate, I forgot to look"

Home FAQ Register Usergroups Search Memberlist Gallery StatisticsForum Sponsors •  Photo RequestProfile • Links Log in to check your private messagesLog inBC Eastmidlands

"Sorry Mate, I forgot to look"
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Discussion (Commuting)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tis
E, Silver

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 4:59 pm    Post subject: "Sorry Mate, I forgot to look" Reply with quote

"I forgot to look" FFS, how about that as an excuse for knocking me off?!? This morning on my way to work a car pulled out in front of me when I was barely 10m away, I didn't even get to touch the brakes before the crunch. Clown.

You'll be glad to hear that my bike was relatively unscathed, just bent the bars a little. I however suffered a shoulder separation, damaged ligaments and a bruised rotator cuff.

I'm not a happy bunny, going to have to get the bus to work for a while - 1h30mins instead of 30mins.
Magnier
E, Silver

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get the witnesses details and get a claim in! Hope you recover soon.
Tucker
Tour Winner

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: "Sorry Mate, I forgot to look" Reply with quote

tis wrote:
"I forgot to look" *CENSORED*, how about that as an excuse for knocking me off?!? This morning on my way to work a car pulled out in front of me when I was barely 10m away, I didn't even get to touch the brakes before the crunch. Clown.

You'll be glad to hear that my bike was relatively unscathed, just bent the bars a little. I however suffered a shoulder separation, damaged ligaments and a bruised rotator cuff.

I'm not a happy bunny, going to have to get the bus to work for a while - 1h30mins instead of 30mins.

'kin 'ell Irish, glad you're okayish, but you're in the country 5 minutes and you get mown down by a car.

Can't believe you accepted that as an excuse without opening a large can or whup-a$$.
racyrich2
E, Gold

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dial 999 and call an ambulance. Police then attend. A***hole nicked.
JONNO
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

racyrich2 wrote:
Dial 999 and call an ambulance. Police then attend. A***hole nicked.

Ha, I got knocked off right in front of a policeman and the to55er still tried to drive off, policeman jumped in front of him to stop him, then came to see if I was OK and the guy then did a runner. Fortunately the copper had written the car reg on the back of his hand but said later that although he would like to throw the book at him it was basically up to the CPA to decide whether to prosecute or not. Glad you are OK anyhow.
I was being chased by a police dog last week, and made the mistake of trying to escape through a little tunnel, over a see-saw and through a hoop of fire. It finally caught me as I was weaving in and out of some sticks.
tis
E, Silver

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm ok, hurts more today than it did yesterday and sleeping was more of a challenge than I'd like...

Probably should have done a bit more about it at the time, I thought I was ok so I rode the 10k to work one handed - which in hindsight probably indicated that I was not Smile
JONNO
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tis wrote:
I'm ok, hurts more today than it did yesterday and sleeping was more of a challenge than I'd like...

Probably should have done a bit more about it at the time, I thought I was ok so I rode the 10k to work one handed - which in hindsight probably indicated that I was not Smile

Exactly what I did. The problem is that you are in a bit of shock and your initial reaction is to try and do the normal things. I rode home and it wasn't till a couple of days later when I looked at my bike I found he had hit me so hard it snapped the frame near the bottom bracket. I thought I just had cuts and bruises but was still in pain two weeks later and found I had some damaged ligaments so if in doubt get straight down to the doctors or A&E.
I was being chased by a police dog last week, and made the mistake of trying to escape through a little tunnel, over a see-saw and through a hoop of fire. It finally caught me as I was weaving in and out of some sticks.
tis
E, Silver

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

'kin 'ell, that must have been a big smash. My commuter is 531 although by its weight I think it might well be solid bars and not tubing. The good people at work 'mothered' me to the local minor injuries unit, so I got taken care of Smile
sub4
E, Bronze

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least your numpty admitted it. Mine just accused me of being responsible, and is trying to sue me!!! Hope your shoulder clears up - physio would be advised. Mine got put back together with screws. Evil or Very Mad
Patrick
Div 3 Pro

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you are OK considering. Claim for any damage, bike/yourself, and nail the idiot where it hurts - their insurance premium.
noddy
Cat 2 Groupie
Cat 2 Groupie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had the same happen to me on the 24th, guy pulled out on me on a roundabout, bike knackered, ribs and hip bruised, still having breathing issues and general back pain. Smashed the guys window, dented his door and wing and bust his wing miror. Luckily I hit an insured driver and he has admitted fault to his insurance. Felt a bit Embarassed when a paramedic, 2 police and an ambulance turned up.
Mscott
Cat 2 Groupie
Cat 2 Groupie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

not a very good excuse than "sorry I forgot to look"... These non looking drivers shouldn't drive!
MrLoverman
E, Bronze

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mscott wrote:
not a very good excuse than "sorry I forgot to look"... These non looking drivers shouldn't drive!

If you had four wheels and an engine then they will see you it's just that they think they have priority over you cause you are on a bike and therefore non human.
TBK
Div 3 Pro

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: "Sorry Mate, I forgot to look" Reply with quote

tis wrote:
"I forgot to look" FFS, how about that as an excuse for knocking me off?!? This morning on my way to work a car pulled out in front of me when I was barely 10m away, I didn't even get to touch the brakes before the crunch. Clown.

If you still have the guy's details its him paying for taxis to work for you for the next few weeks. Idea
Dan Souf
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a great one today, a guy approaching the T junction on the wrong side of the road as I was turning right into it (if you can picture that). I squeeze past his window, which is down, to him saying in a thick oirish accent: "you should ride on the right side of the road mate, you'll gonna cause an accident" Shocked
JimmyRay
E, Silver

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of year back I were doing this 'ere comuute see, and on this 'ere commute there woz a get big descent. Bottum descent, there be this gert big right 'ander, beauty she were, get un right and your doing 40mph +, as I say a beauty.

Anyways, one day, eyes giving it stick down this 'ere descent and went through the corner proper on it like, and there presented before me was a gert big car, giving it plenty comin' tha other way... wrong side un road....doing a good 50mph or more...nutter like.

Well I pap myself, as eyes right on the white lines leaning over like, adn he is on my side of the road cuttin' into the apex... he was clearly papping it un all, but somehow, dunno 'ow, we missed each other, an' both kept it right side up an all.

Put a zing in my step for the rest of the ride I can tell ee.
Bubbly
Cat 4 Groupie
Cat 4 Groupie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly the same thing happened to me this week. THe policeman said it was a genuine accident and she (car driver) didn't see me because I'm "small"!!!!!!!!
I'm 5' 10", wearing a bright green jersey and less than 5m away - what's not to see?!
Rich Hill
Tour Winner

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mscott wrote:

I would love to know if such a phrase is tantamount to admitting negligence?
noddy
Cat 2 Groupie
Cat 2 Groupie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How long would you expect for drivers insurance to cough up for damage to bike and kit + injuries? My accident was almost 9 months ago now, and still nothing? Drivers Insurance company admitted liabilty the day after the accident!! BC solicitors say they are chasing?
Des

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

noddy wrote:
How long would you expect for drivers insurance to cough up for damage to bike and kit + injuries? My accident was almost 9 months ago now, and still nothing? Drivers Insurance company admitted liabilty the day after the accident!! BC solicitors say they are chasing?

Keep chasing the solicitors. If there are no other outstanding claims from you there should be no further delay. If there are they could still push for an interim payment.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Discussion (Commuting) All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: