Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk :: View topic - Exercise and illness.

Home FAQ Register Usergroups Search Memberlist Gallery StatisticsForum Sponsors •  Photo RequestProfile • Links Log in to check your private messagesLog inBC Eastmidlands

Exercise and illness.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Health & Fitness
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ninaprettyballerina
Div 3 Pro

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:40 pm    Post subject: Exercise and illness. Reply with quote

I live a pretty stressful life, and have long gaps between exercise due to circumstances. Anyway last week for the first time since September I had the chance to get in the gym, swim and power walk I enjoyed it, felt energised and was keen for more however as is almost always the case, this week I have a sore throat and cold and feel worn out.

Any idea's what I can do to prevent this happening. Change of lifestyle is not a possibility.

Thanks Smile
Tucker
Tour Winner

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you considered MingTFU?
mattr
World Champ

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if your lifestyle is that busy try multivits and echineacea.

keeps me pretty much cold/knackered free.
Ninaprettyballerina
Div 3 Pro

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattr wrote:

I do take a good multivit, have never tried Echineacea for any length of time but will give it a go.

Thanks.
mattr
World Champ

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ninaprettyballerina wrote:
mattr wrote:

I do take a good multivit, have never tried Echineacea for any length of time but will give it a go.

Thanks.

don't take it continually, i've found three weeks on, one week off works well, may differ for you tho, but as good a starting point as any.

can also get drops (instead of tab lets) apparently absorb better, but i'm too lazy to muck around.
elaina

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Exercise and illness. Reply with quote

I live a pretty stressful life, and have long gaps between exercise due to circumstances. Anyway last week for the first time since September I had the chance to get in the gym, swim and power walk I enjoyed it, felt energised and was keen for more however as is almost always the case, this week I have a sore throat and cold and feel worn out.

Any idea's what I can do to prevent this happening. Change of lifestyle is not a possibility.

Thanks Smile

Maybe it's simply that you have picked up a virus.

If your body isn't used to exercising doing too much to soon can lead to a reduced immune system.
Have a look at what exercise you do each week - the sort of thing you wouldn't normally regard as exercise - walking, going up and down the stairs, sweeping the floor - etc etc.
Do the same exercises but build up the intensity - so if you normally take 5mins to walk the length of the ward do it in 4mins.
Make sure the daily diet contains plenty of fruit and veg and that you stay well hydrated.
Broken Bones
Div 2 Pro

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

effervescent echinacea works best for me - tastes slightly rank tho Mad
Ninaprettyballerina
Div 3 Pro

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Exercise and illness. Reply with quote

elaina wrote:

Thanks Smile

Maybe it's simply that you have picked up a virus.

If your body isn't used to exercising doing too much to soon can lead to a reduced immune system.
Have a look at what exercise you do each week - the sort of thing you wouldn't normally regard as exercise - walking, going up and down the stairs, sweeping the floor - etc etc.
Do the same exercises but build up the intensity - so if you normally take 5mins to walk the length of the ward do it in 4mins.
Make sure the daily diet contains plenty of fruit and veg and that you stay well hydrated.

I was ill for most of December and the first two weeks of January so the virus is certainly a possibility.

Thanks all for suggestions.
jk_bike
E, Silver

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

since i'v started drinking green tea i seem to be getting ill much less frequently. in fact the only time i have been ill in the last 6 months occured when i had stopped drinking green tea...i used to suffer badly, i think my personal best was three seperate infections in a month.
Gains
E, Bronze

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Transcendental meditation.

Don't be put off by the name (as I very nearly was)- it's not about groups of aging hippies stinking of incense and chanting.

I've got a pretty busy life and my job can be very stressful at times. If I ever started trying to push the exercise a bit harder I'd always end up with a cold/sore throat or similar. Since learning TM I've been caning it on the bike and haven't been ill once.
Des

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simples

Avoid the gym, exercising in a atmosphere of damp recycled air, using kit handled by someone else who's personal hygiene you have no idea about - recipe for illness - get out in the fresh air this time (any time) of year.
Ken Avit
E, Silver

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Des wrote:
Simples

Avoid the gym, exercising in a atmosphere of damp recycled air, using kit handled by someone else who's personal hygiene you have no idea about - recipe for illness - get out in the fresh air this time (any time) of year.

+1

also, for all those lapping up the anecdotal evidence - since i started drinking beer i've never ever fallen down a well
Rich Hill
Tour Winner

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nina - you need to plan to change your lifestyle
Dogma Dave
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Exercise and illness. Reply with quote

Change of lifestyle is not a possibility.

Of course it is! Just a little bit at a time....
Billy Boy
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eat more cheese.

"Eating is not for wimps" - coal miner

"most of us don't have your brilliance." - John McC
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Health & Fitness All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: