Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk :: View topic - What is the easiest way to work out how many Calories I am..

Home FAQ Register Usergroups Search Memberlist Gallery StatisticsForum Sponsors •  Photo RequestProfile • Links Log in to check your private messagesLog inBC Eastmidlands

What is the easiest way to work out how many Calories I am..
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Health & Fitness
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Legs
E, Gold

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even if you're trying to balance it against the amount of food you eat, you'd need to make sure you're being accurate and honest in your assessment of what your *CENSORED* is. Was watching a prog on t' tellybox a few weeks ago about how, even the aid of 'food diaries', people massively underrecord the amount of food they eat. Working out what you've actually eaten is a minefield - how much is a Legs standard bowlful of cereal? Certainly a damn sight more than 30g and 50ml of semi-skimmed milk or whatever...

Your best bet is, as Billy sez, to avit a lot.
MrLoverman
E, Bronze

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattr wrote:
Roy Gardiner wrote:
MrLoverman wrote:
How can I figure out how many calories I am buring when I do exercise?
Why do you want to know? What use will you make of the information?
Probably to justify pie intake.

Thats the one Wink Laughing

I just want to know how much I can eat without undoing all the exercise I am doing.

Visit - http://love-muscle.myminicity.com/
MrLoverman
E, Bronze

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Legs wrote:
Even if you're trying to balance it against the amount of food you eat, you'd need to make sure you're being accurate and honest in your assessment of what your *CENSORED* is. Was watching a prog on t' tellybox a few weeks ago about how, even the aid of 'food diaries', people massively underrecord the amount of food they eat. Working out what you've actually eaten is a minefield - how much is a Legs standard bowlful of cereal? Certainly a damn sight more than 30g and 50ml of semi-skimmed milk or whatever...

I will just avit and avit a lot. At the end of the day you should eat a healthy and balanced *CENSORED* and keep yourself in good shape and providing you are doing that then it doesn't really matter how many calories you are burning when you exercise just as long as you are being sensible with your lifestyle.

why is D I E T censored?

Visit - http://love-muscle.myminicity.com/
JONNO
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are on level 14 on the Life Fitness bikes you find in fancy hotels then at 95rpm you are burning 858 cph.

Approximately.
I was being chased by a police dog last week, and made the mistake of trying to escape through a little tunnel, over a see-saw and through a hoop of fire. It finally caught me as I was weaving in and out of some sticks.
Ridley
E, Silver

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Normal brisk 17-20 mph group/solo riding that at a generalisation probably covers the majority of us... 1000 calories an hour is a good rough guide...
KJ
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrLoverman wrote:
Legs wrote:

I will just avit and avit a lot. At the end of the day you should eat a healthy and balanced *CENSORED* and keep yourself in good shape and providing you are doing that then it doesn't really matter how many calories you are burning when you exercise just as long as you are being sensible with your lifestyle.

why is D I E T censored?

Many things are censored on VR. Adds to the mystique.
JimmyRay
E, Silver

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best thing to do is look up average calorie expenditure for a given speed, and then treat with a pinch of salt either way depending on the terrain and conditions.

A couple of years back, working off a Polar HRM I was able to accurately predict my weight loss per week following a calorie controlled *CENSORED*.

However, this is a-nal and time consuming and actually I just got lucky in that the assumptions my Polar HRM was making about my efforts coincided with teh assumptions I was making about calorific values of certain food groups.

As advice right now, I'd weigh yourself once a month for the next few months, not worry about food and see if your current d-iet is naturally over or under compensating for the exercising.

Then you can work out what action needs to follow after that.

I am a personal believer in eating as much as you can get away with, not as little... sounds silly to say, but I think so many athletes are hampered by the calorie restricted nature of their d-iets.
Davey C
Div 2 Pro

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JimmyRay wrote:
Best thing to do is look up average calorie expenditure for a given speed, and then treat with a pinch of salt either way depending on the terrain and conditions.

A couple of years back, working off a Polar HRM I was able to accurately predict my weight loss per week following a calorie controlled *CENSORED*.

However, this is a-nal and time consuming and actually I just got lucky in that the assumptions my Polar HRM was making about my efforts coincided with teh assumptions I was making about calorific values of certain food groups.

As advice right now, I'd weigh yourself once a month for the next few months, not worry about food and see if your current d-iet is naturally over or under compensating for the exercising.

I am a personal believer in eating as much as you can get away with, not as little... sounds silly to say, but I think so many athletes are hampered by the calorie restricted nature of their d-iets.

Jokes aside, I agree with the latter part of this post. When I was racing a few years ago I tried to eat as little as possible and subsequently alwasy felt tired and had trouble recovering week on week.

This time round, admittedly I'm racing at a much lower level, but I'm eating what I want (within reason) and as much as I want and I feel better and stronger for it.
Billy Boy
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JimmyRay wrote:

Yer me too

"Eating is not for wimps" - coal miner

"most of us don't have your brilliance." - John McC
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Health & Fitness All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: