Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk :: View topic - Travelling via bike in Cardiff

Home FAQ Register Usergroups Search Memberlist Gallery StatisticsForum Sponsors •  Photo RequestProfile • Links Log in to check your private messagesLog inBC Eastmidlands

Travelling via bike in Cardiff

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Discussion (Commuting)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scott C
E, Silver

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 12:50 pm    Post subject: Travelling via bike in Cardiff Reply with quote

Starting this September I will have to be travelling around Cardiff a fair bit. Thankfully everywhere I travel to will have showers and safe storge for my bike.

I have several questions of practicality.

Firstly I have only one bike at current which is a Kinesis RC2 with Chorus groupset. This is the bike I have trained on in the past 2 years. Would this be suitable for slogging around a city?

What tyres are best to use fo ridin on gritty and glass covere roads? I use vrendastien atm for training but my commuting is soo to become my training/exercise whist I do my pos grad studies and am too skint to race.

Would I be better off buying a cheap MTB bike? or hybrid type thing?

I am not overly fussed about trashing my current bike as long as it doesn't fall appart in a matter of weeks but I am also aware that 10 speed campag isnt overly required for commuting!

Any other useful info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys.
Rob of the Og
E, Gold

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cardiff's ok for riding, not as busy as many similar sized cities. I wouldn't worry about tyre choice if you are going to stick to the roads, but there are semi-off-road routes like the Taff Trail that would be better on a hybrid or something.

Get yourself to Cyclopedia on Crwys Road and find out about all the chain gangs and club runs.
Scott C
E, Silver

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been on the chaingangs etc a few years back. I was the guy in the team bradgate kit. The Sunday runswere ok when I ws fit and able to ride with ian and matt. But the thought of being left behind in the middle of the welsh country side doesn't overly appeal to me.

Are there any more sociable runs on a Sunday and Saturday for beginners/people who just want to rance about in lycra?

I enjoyed the wed and monday rides on the velodrome but they did cost a few pounds.....which when being a self funded masters student could be small issue!
Rob of the Og
E, Gold

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott C wrote:
I have been on the chaingangs etc a few years back. I was the guy in the team bradgate kit. The Sunday runswere ok when I ws fit and able to ride with ian and matt. But the thought of being left behind in the middle of the welsh country side doesn't overly appeal to me.

Are there any more sociable runs on a Sunday and Saturday for beginners/people who just want to rance about in lycra?

I enjoyed the wed and monday rides on the velodrome but they did cost a few pounds.....which when being a self funded masters student could be small issue!

Sorry, I live out in the hills now and only ride in for work so I'm not sure what different groups they have now. I'm sure there are plenty of slower rides (slower than Matt and Ian anyway!). Cyclopedia is definitely the best place to ask.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Discussion (Commuting) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: