Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk :: View topic - Mickey mouse help needed - training in cold weather

Home FAQ Register Usergroups Search Memberlist Gallery StatisticsForum Sponsors •  Photo RequestProfile • Links Log in to check your private messagesLog inBC Eastmidlands

Mickey mouse help needed - training in cold weather

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Health & Fitness
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hans Datdodishes
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:16 am    Post subject: Mickey mouse help needed - training in cold weather Reply with quote

Does anybody know of a link to a mickey mouse explanation of why training in cold weather in incorrect clothing (ie not enough) is a bad thing?
Can't be too scientific cos its to be addressed to a group of 9 and 10 year olds
eastway82
Div 3 Pro

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JONNO
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was being chased by a police dog last week, and made the mistake of trying to escape through a little tunnel, over a see-saw and through a hoop of fire. It finally caught me as I was weaving in and out of some sticks.
Hans Datdodishes
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

very useful, ta
KJ
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Assuming it's a kosher question try

http://www.sportengland.org/about_us/how_we_are_structured/our_local_offices.aspx

Your area seems to be one of two options Peterborough or Lincolnshire.

I've rung the Leeds office more than once and they are always helpful however irrelevant my never ending questions are.

Or if you have a football development officer in your area ask him/ her to come and give the children some advice on winter training.

I'm sure you know all this so I apologise in advance if, yet again, I've annoyed you.
Hans Datdodishes
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KJ wrote:

http://www.sportengland.org/about_us/how_we_are_structured/our_local_offices.aspx

I've rung the Leeds office more than once and they are always helpful however irrelevant my never ending questions are.

Or if you have a football development officer in your area ask him/ her to come and give the children some advice on winter training.

I'm sure you know all this so I apologise in advance if, yet again, I've annoyed you.

Oooh, get her.

It is a genuine question, I have a basic idea of the theory behind glycogen supplies in muscles being burnt up quicker if the body is shivering, and white blood cells increasing, but I wanted something pictoral to show the little sods at footy training who insist on wearing short sleeve tops and shorts when its freezing.
Terry Tibbs
E, Gold

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hans Datdodishes wrote:
KJ wrote:

Oooh, get her.

It is a genuine question, I have a basic idea of the theory behind glycogen supplies in muscles being burnt up quicker if the body is shivering, and white blood cells increasing, but I wanted something pictoral to show the little sods at footy training who insist on wearing short sleeve tops and shorts when its freezing.

Show them the "Cankles" on a Geordie lass.
Hans Datdodishes
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terry Tibbs wrote:
Hans Datdodishes wrote:
KJ wrote:

Oooh, get her.

Show them the "Cankles" on a Geordie lass.

They're too young. I told them the nun and the blind man joke yesterday, and they didn't get it
special guest star
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

is tha' all bein bluddy munted

peter post
E, Bronze

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The body will use more energy when it's cold and one is dressed in thin clothing.
The body's reaction to cold is to speed up the metabolism by shivering. It's process called thermogenesis. It's done to regulate the body temp.
Since the body will burn more energy(in the muscles), heat will be produced as it's the by-product of metabolism and hey presto, we are warm Laughing
Dave Griffiths
E, Silver

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

peter post wrote:
The body will use more energy when it's cold and one is dressed in thin clothing.
The body's reaction to cold is to speed up the metabolism by shivering. It's process called thermogenesis. It's done to regulate the body temp.
Since the body will burn more energy(in the muscles), heat will be produced as it's the by-product of metabolism and hey presto, we are warm Laughing

Hardly ever worked for me. Well, not when cycling. Did 'once' turn up for a Xmas Road Race and was considered 'well overdressed', by the other riders (guffaws of laughter - who cares, its Xmas). All went well, nice and cosy Laughing but there was an uphill finish and, after hitting the front, in the final dip, I turned into an instant pressure cooker and rolled in last.
Was out for 3 hours, yesterday. Mostly had full sun but it still felt b****y cold, and yet I saw a youngish guy riding a road bike in shorts and single race top. There were a number of MTB guys out, well dressed, mud spattered and some in baggy shorts but that was sort of understandable.
I was wearing a full Gore Bike Wear outfit, with an undervest, overshoes, Gore headband (under my helmet) and thermal gloves.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Health & Fitness All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: