Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk :: View topic - Maths question

Home FAQ Register Usergroups Search Memberlist Gallery StatisticsForum Sponsors •  Photo RequestProfile • Links Log in to check your private messagesLog inBC Eastmidlands

Maths question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Tips & How To
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JONNO
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:26 pm    Post subject: Maths question Reply with quote

A Cyclist weighs x amount in December. By March he has lost 10% weight through cutting out beer and all that cr@p. Now assuming he still has the same power output could he ride up a vertical hill 10% faster? And by the same logic a 45degree hill 5% faster? He would need quite sticky tyres obv.
I was being chased by a police dog last week, and made the mistake of trying to escape through a little tunnel, over a see-saw and through a hoop of fire. It finally caught me as I was weaving in and out of some sticks.
alexc
Div 2 Pro

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Maths question Reply with quote

JONNO wrote:
A Cyclist weighs x amount in December. By March he has lost 10% weight through cutting out beer and all that cr@p. Now assuming he still has the same power output could he ride up a vertical hill 10% faster? And by the same logic a 45degree hill 5% faster? He would need quite sticky tyres obv.

has his bike become 10% lighter as well, and what about his wind resistance, has that halved as well, if not then no (I think)
Steve McGinty
Div 2 Pro

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Maths question Reply with quote

JONNO wrote:
So, by that logic on the flat he'll go 0% faster? And he gave up beer!!!
Rob of the Og
E, Gold

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Maths question Reply with quote

JONNO wrote:

No
Ken Avit
E, Silver

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Maths question Reply with quote

JONNO wrote:
A Cyclist weighs x amount in December. By March he has lost 10% weight through cutting out beer and all that cr@p.

that's ridiculous. how can he lose 10% of his weight if he goes from Dec - March without having a cr@p?
mattr
World Champ

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Maths question Reply with quote

Ken Avit wrote:
JONNO wrote:
A Cyclist weighs x amount in December. By March he has lost 10% weight through cutting out beer and all that cr@p.

how can he lose 10% of his weight if he goes from Dec - March without having a cr@p?
colo/ileostomy, bit of a severe weight loss plan, but i'm sure it works well. Confused
Rob of the Og
E, Gold

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Maths question Reply with quote

JONNO wrote:

(the gradient of the hill doesn't really come into the *percentage* increase in speed directly; although obviously it affects *how fast* you go. In a perfect zero-rolling resistance, zero-air resistance scenario, then taking 10% off the weight will give a 10% increase in speed on *any* slope. In reality, the greater the slope, then the slower you go, so the more that air resistance tends to zero, so the closer you get to a linear relationship between power/weight and speed - but the same applies for someone who's putting out a lower power, that is that the slower you're going on a climb then the more influence that mass has in the total equation compared to air resistance. Rolling resistance comes into it as well, but it's by far the least important of the three opposing forces.)
JONNO
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like it ain't worth it then, I'll just keep riding round the fekkers and eating what I like. Shocked Idea
I was being chased by a police dog last week, and made the mistake of trying to escape through a little tunnel, over a see-saw and through a hoop of fire. It finally caught me as I was weaving in and out of some sticks.
Dogma Dave
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Maths question Reply with quote

Ken Avit wrote:
JONNO wrote:

that's ridiculous. how can he lose 10% of his weight if he goes from Dec - March without having a cr@p?

Quality Laughing
nettie biker
Div 3 Pro

Location: Struggling to keep all the balls in the air.............

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how tall is he?
Hans Datdodishes
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

50:50

I'm a qualified coach.
billyam998
E, Gold

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

saddles too high
fatnick
Cat 1 Groupie
Cat 1 Groupie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Maths question Reply with quote

JONNO wrote:
By March he has lost 10% weight through cutting out beer and all that cr@p ....

This is where I got stuck. Cutting out beer?!?!? WARN us before you say bad things like that, please. It gives me time to put my fingers in my ears Smile

Nick
dane
E, Silver

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 1:27 pm    Post subject: . Reply with quote

er so cutting out crap and beer doesnt help?.............and even if it does bring on the beer an christmas cake i say! its once a year, sod it!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Tips & How To All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: