Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk :: View topic - Tooley Street, Laarrddddaaarrrn

Home FAQ Register Usergroups Search Memberlist Gallery StatisticsForum Sponsors •  Photo RequestProfile • Links Log in to check your private messagesLog inBC Eastmidlands

Tooley Street, Laarrddddaaarrrn

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Discussion (Commuting)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yorkie
Elite Poster
Elite Poster

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:04 am    Post subject: Tooley Street, Laarrddddaaarrrn Reply with quote

FYI, if it applies to anyone on here:

For those that commute up Tooley Street to London Bridge (where they have closed off one carriageway to dig it up) there are now bobbies pulling over cyclists who 'illegally' nip up the opposite lane rather than following the diversion.

I think it's on-the-spot fines of £60, so if you're going to do it make sure you can ride away sharpish
Zarate
E, Silver

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Road Traffic Act applies to everyone, so getting nicked is to be expected. Wouldn't ride a motorbike through, so why a bike? That apart from the possibility of getting mown down by someone not expecting to find a plonker on a bike ignoring a one-way. Sorry, I forget, rules don't apply to certain bikies in London.
Fritz
E, Gold

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got pulled over by the polizei yesterday morning. There's me thinking "what have I done now?" and he asks "have you got a few mins". I said "okay" and he gives me the spiel about having lights, helmet, proper clothing, brakes and so on and then pulls out a batch of reflective arm bands and gives me one for being such a good boy.
Brightens up your day eh?
Terry Tibbs
E, Gold

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How very efficient. Plus the trains run on time over there.
yorkie
Elite Poster
Elite Poster

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

observer wrote:
Road Traffic Act applies to everyone, so getting nicked is to be expected. Wouldn't ride a motorbike through, so why a bike? That apart from the possibility of getting mown down by someone not expecting to find a plonker on a bike ignoring a one-way. Sorry, I forget, rules don't apply to certain bikies in London.

http://www.thelondonpaper.com/thelondonpaper/news/london/no-one-way-restrictions-for-cyclists

Plus other schemes in boroughs such as Hackney.

Get off your high horse and realise that the majority of cycle commuters ride Evil or Very Mad bikes from halfords etc, and are just as likely to go the 'wrong' way down a one-way street, especially given the location of the roadworks (on a major cycle link) and the alternative route presented (a diversion along much busier roads with several dangerous intersections).

Either way they seem to have stopped giving out tickets recently so hope this warning at least stopped a few people getting a fine/points
Fritz
E, Gold

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terry Tibbs wrote:
How very efficient. Plus the trains run on time over there.

Trains, buses, trams, everything Terence. You can even time a sprint with a bus departure.
Zarate
E, Silver

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well if Yorkie wants to ride down one-ways without a marked contraflow lane that's fine. I'll ride my high horse where there's a lane for them. Doesn't alter the fact that RTA applies to road users, and who comes off worst in a head-on with a ton of metal?
And before you ask, I am a Londoner by birth and inclination.
Mr.B
E, Bronze

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
And before you ask, I am a Londoner by birth and inclination.
metros_exual? Confused Laughing
Zarate
E, Silver

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very much metro, and very much hetero.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Discussion (Commuting) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: