Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk :: View topic - Rebecca Romero Ready for The London-Paris 2010

Home FAQ Register Usergroups Search Memberlist Gallery StatisticsForum Sponsors •  Photo RequestProfile • Links Log in to check your private messagesLog inBC Eastmidlands

Rebecca Romero Ready for The London-Paris 2010

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Announcements
View previous topic :: View next topic  
veloriders
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:46 pm    Post subject: Rebecca Romero Ready for The London-Paris 2010 Reply with quote

Olympic and former world cycling champion, Rebecca Romero, has confirmed that she’s targeting the World Time Trial Championships and says the Commonwealth Games are also in her sights. Romero will ride in this summer’s London-Paris 2010 as part of her switch from track to road cycling after her individual pursuit event was dropped from the Olympics for 2012. She was speaking as The L2P announced that American cycle giants, Specialized, will be the event’s official bicycle partner for the second year running.

Romero said: “The L2P is part of my preparation for the World Time Trial Championships in Melbourne in September. It’s something to train for and a good marker at the end of June. The Commonwealth Games in Delhi are another opportunity. I could be there. The only individual event left for me is the Time Trial. The idea is to have a go and see if it’s feasible.”

Romero, who won gold in the 3km individual pursuit at the Beijing Olympics in 2008 and the 3km individual pursuit world title in the same year, will line up with riders for the start of The London-Paris 2010 on June 24th.

Romero is the only British woman and one of only two women in the world to win summer Olympic medals in two different sports. Romero was a rowing silver medallist at the Athens Olympics in the quad sculls.

She said: “I’d like to be successful in the Olympic Time Trial in London in 2012. That’s the ideal target and dream but I’m still in the initial stages of seeing if it’s possible. I’ve got to have a go at some rides. The idea is to build up my fitness in events like The L2P but 100 miles a day is going to be a huge effort.”

L2P director, Sven Thiele said: “The L2P 2010 looks like being the most exciting ride in our seven year history. Interest and participation in cycling is expanding rapidly and we are proud to be joining forces for a second year with Specialized, one of cycling’s global giants. Our partnership is aimed at giving cyclists the best technical experience possible.”

Richard Hemington, Specialized’s MD, said: “Specialized are delighted to be the official bicycle partner of the London-Paris ride for the second year running. The London-Paris ride generates a huge amount of excitement amongst cyclists but also within Specialized. Being part of it all and sharing with the riders those special moments during the ride is a real privilege.”

Specialized has a global reputation for innovation and the company is known for its focus on riders’ needs through technically advanced products. The 11 L2P Ride Captains will be kitted out with Specialized Tarmac or Roubaix Expert bicycles, Specialized helmets and shoes.
The London-Paris 2010 is the blue-riband of cyclosportives and is recognised as the closest the amateur rider can get to the Tour de France experience. The ride covers 550km in three days with a rest day in Paris. The Daily Telegraph recently ranked the event as one of the world’s top 25 participation events, alongside the London and New York marathons. The event has also been named in the top ten of adventure events for women.
Ex-professional rider, Magnus Backstedt and former footballers, Geoff Thomas and John Salako, have also signed up to ride in The L2P 2010. Other star riders will be announced shortly.
Magnus Backstedt said: “I’ve heard a lot of people taking about this event, so when I retired I decided I wanted to ride it. I’m still fiercely competitive but I also just enjoy riding and having fun. I will get a bit itchy after a few hours and no doubt I’ll be pushing it at some point.”

Geoff Thomas, who will lead a team of 25 Geoff Thomas Foundation riders raising money for leukaemia patients, said: “It’s great to be back with the Specialized team. They have been tremendous supporters of the GTF. The company’s backed us all the way with bikes and equipment. Specialized help us to raise money to campaign for better treatment for people with blood cancer and their support is making a significant difference.”

John Salako said: “Ahead of last year’s L2P I was training on an old mountain bike and the difference when I got on my Specialized bike was incredible. Everything suddenly changed when I got on a top of the range machine. Until then I never knew just how much enjoyment you could have on a bike. Having a bike like that just makes it so exciting to get out there a ride a hundred miles. I love my bike.”
www.londres-paris.com
www.specialized.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Announcements All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: