Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk :: View topic - "Sorry Mate, I forgot to look"

Home FAQ Register Usergroups Search Memberlist Gallery StatisticsForum Sponsors •  Photo RequestProfile • Links Log in to check your private messagesLog inBC Eastmidlands

"Sorry Mate, I forgot to look"
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Discussion (Commuting)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave Griffiths
E, Silver

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

noddy wrote:
How long would you expect for drivers insurance to cough up for damage to bike and kit + injuries? My accident was almost 9 months ago now, and still nothing? Drivers Insurance company admitted liabilty the day after the accident!! BC solicitors say they are chasing?

Well, my 'accident' took at least 4 years before being settled, moneywise. The insurance companies appear to try their best to avoid paying out. I had used a solicitor, right from the start, (on my own, I don't think I would have got a anything) not having a BC Membership. BC gets a lot of praise for the way its legal team deals with claims
DenHaag
E, Gold

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last time I was in an accident I dealt with their insurance company personally, took my own photos, estimate etc. Got paid in 3 weeks! No personal injury claim though.
superlight2
Cat 2 Groupie
Cat 2 Groupie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine took 12 months or so - if (I hope it doesn't ) but if it happens again then I would ensure I contacted the solicitor at least once per week to ensure that they were actively doing something.
Often it was a case of 'Oh, we sent a letter 2 weeks ago and we are waiting for the reply'
I'd now tell them 'Don't wait 2 weeks for a reply *CENSORED*, get on the blower to then today !'
Your case is likely not top of the pile or their workload - try to ensure that you are such a pest that they want to get it resolves asap and you off their back.
Do NOT wait for them to contact you, contact them today, then contact them tomorrow (tell them you will be doing this as you need the payout to fund your replacement bike, chase them regularly !
noddy
Cat 2 Groupie
Cat 2 Groupie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

superlight2 wrote:
Mine took 12 months or so - if (I hope it doesn't ) but if it happens again then I would ensure I contacted the solicitor at least once per week to ensure that they were actively doing something.
Often it was a case of 'Oh, we sent a letter 2 weeks ago and we are waiting for the reply'
I'd now tell them 'Don't wait 2 weeks for a reply *CENSORED*, get on the blower to then today !'
Your case is likely not top of the pile or their workload - try to ensure that you are such a pest that they want to get it resolves asap and you off their back.
Do NOT wait for them to contact you, contact them today, then contact them tomorrow (tell them you will be doing this as you need the payout to fund your replacement bike, chase them regularly !

Have just done this, will keep you posted
snakeeater
E, Silver

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, I second that - ring em everyday as your case will not be top dollar for them. Ringing them everyday means they waste time and money talking to you so they may bring your case near to the top.
MrB
E, Bronze

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm now just over 2.5 years in, but seemingly the other side are now talking to us even if they are asking for extra details on some of the details, and are challenging the companies accountants as to how they calculated the losses, despite having all the figures in front of them as evidence Rolling Eyes
I figure this means we are now at the payout amount negotiation phase Confused
Dave Griffiths
E, Silver

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrB wrote:
I'm now just over 2.5 years in, but seemingly the other side are now talking to us even if they are asking for extra details on some of the details, and are challenging the companies accountants as to how they calculated the losses, despite having all the figures in front of them as evidence Rolling Eyes
I figure this means we are now at the payout amount negotiation phase Confused
In my case, this phase was very lengthy. The insurer would make an offer and the gist of it was: accept or take us to court and then, if the court decides that the offer was 'reasonable'(or some such legal term) you will have to pay all 'their' costs i.e you lose out bigtime.
In my case, with legal advice, I rejected three offers and the fourth was approaching what 'we thought' (solicitor and myself) was a fair settlement.
I decided to accept that 4th offer (which was 5 times the original offer).
JONNO
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Conspiracy theorists might argue that neither sides solicitors are in a hurry to settle as each time a letter passes back and forth they earn another sixty quid or so paid for by the insurance companies. Confused
I was being chased by a police dog last week, and made the mistake of trying to escape through a little tunnel, over a see-saw and through a hoop of fire. It finally caught me as I was weaving in and out of some sticks.
Joursans
Div 2 Pro

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Sixth sense" saved me from severe injury last night.

I just knew the bloke coming from the left on a mini roundabout was not going to look or stop so slammed the anchors on.

I got little more than a fleeting glimpse of the shocked expression on his face about six inches from mine, as, when he eventually looked up half way across the roundabout, he was surprised to discover that a London road can in fact have other users on it as late as 8:30pm.

C**t! Evil or Very Mad
PeteMcCosh
E, Silver

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joursans wrote:
I just knew the bloke coming from the left on a mini roundabout was not going to look or stop so slammed the anchors on.

Sadly I didn't know and that's exactly what happened to me at the weekend. Bike completely knackered (well, you could probably use the front wheel if you were desperate and not too bothered about going in a straight line) and bloody sore leg and assos for me, but nothing more. Police attended and the guy's being charged (although I suppose that'll really be up to the CPS) with whatever the offence is when you're too busy shouting at your wife in the back seat to look at the road.

I don't have cycling insurance and I don't drive so I've never made a claim before. This may seem very naive, but I'd appreciate it if anyone could give me a few pointers. What do I need to know to go to his insurers? What can I reasonably claim for? Given that the bike is my main form of transport to work I can't be without it for months on end. Anything else I should be thinking of?

Any responses appreciated. Cheers, Pete
Roy Gardiner
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PeteMcCosh wrote:
I don't have cycling insurance and I don't drive so I've never made a claim before.
If you are in BC or CTC, you do. Fingers X'd that you are...

"Everything in war is simple, but the simplest thing is difficult." Carl Von Clausewitz
Des

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're not a member look in the back of the comic for a cycling friendly solictor.
Dogma Dave
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

racyrich2 wrote:
Dial 999 and call an ambulance. Police then attend. A***hole nicked.
Absolutely correct course of action. Every time.
PeteMcCosh
E, Silver

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roy Gardiner wrote:
PeteMcCosh wrote:
I don't have cycling insurance and I don't drive so I've never made a claim before.

Sadly not.
mattr
World Champ

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PeteMcCosh wrote:
Roy Gardiner wrote:
PeteMcCosh wrote:
Sadly not.
Join then, its cheap enough. My one solitary claim thro their tame solicitors has more than paid for the 20 odd years of membership. (And enough left over to buy a bike)

BTW, see if your household insurance has legal aid or similar included.
green chemist
Cat 4 Groupie
Cat 4 Groupie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try a company called Cycle Claims. They are a claim handler and will deal with the other party's insurance company etc, and will appoint a solicitor for compensation claim if needed.

Just used them for my wife who got knocked off, and they seemed very good. Money for the bike took about 2 months to come through, personal injury is separate and ongoing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Discussion (Commuting) All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: