Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk :: View topic - Cycling with ACL injury

Home FAQ Register Usergroups Search Memberlist Gallery StatisticsForum Sponsors •  Photo RequestProfile • Links Log in to check your private messagesLog inBC Eastmidlands

Cycling with ACL injury

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Health & Fitness
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Crew
Elite Poster
Elite Poster

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:45 am    Post subject: Cycling with ACL injury Reply with quote

Hi all,

I've torn my ACL and my consultant says that it should make no difference to the cycling. Is anyone here cycling with an ACL injury?

All other sports seem out at the moment. I have 3 choices on the operation (if I feel the need and the knee is collapsing). One is material from the hamstring that will reduce power in a leg my up to 8%. The other is an area below the knee. But apparently this can result in a lot of acute pain. The other is to just do nothing and don't play sports that may irritate it.

Has anyone had the operation and if so what do you feel the outcome is?

Andy
JimmyRay
E, Silver

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not first hand experience, but my missus had the op...not sure where she had material taken from; I'll ask her.

For her, the need for the op came because her knee was collapsing on quite a regular occurance... not doing sports or anything, but during little things like walking across a field; getting off a bus, that soirt of thing.

This was many years ago and as it stands, the knee is holding up well...no collapsing anymore, no ongoing problems. OK, she hasn't quite got full range of movement, but only a problem if kneeling down etc.

I would advise however that you take the time to do the physio post op and really build up the muscles again, and most importantly your confidence in teh joint, as my missus did alright at the physio, but not the confidence and she has had back problems from muscle imbalances as she protects that joint in most activities.

As for do you need the op, depends on how big a problem the joint is now, and what sports you want to play. It will be fine for cycling as it is, but a few collapses of the joint elsewhere will see additinal damage that could have more lasting effects. Do some research on Cadel Evans as he had this injury end of 2008 and I am not sure if he's gone down teh op route.
cjdjustride
Elite Poster
Elite Poster

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sports Injury Bulletin issue.96 Feb. 2010.
Too much info to regurgitate here. A comprehensive article with the pros and cons. Bottom line is that it's down to you to make an informed decision!
Crew
Elite Poster
Elite Poster

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The last issue I can see is number 73? How do I buy 96?
cjdjustride
Elite Poster
Elite Poster

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PM'd you
grime
Cat 2 Groupie
Cat 2 Groupie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Must be a lot of it about - I did mine four weeks ago along with the mcl. Just started physio this week as swelling is still a bit of a problem. Consultant and physio have both told me that if the if I work at it and the rehab goes well cycling won't be an issue and I should be able to build up enough stability in my knee to allow me to get back to hill walking without too much trouble. If I don't get ths stability back however then I can always get the reconstruction done in the future.

Advice was that if I get an op now, I could end up with quite a stiff knee due to the other injuries and will be off work for quite a while during rehab. For now I am going to give the physio a go and see where I get to.

Good luck.

Last edited by grime on Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Crew
Elite Poster
Elite Poster

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How old are you grime. I've read about some worrying reports of osteoarthritis with long term ACL absence.

Although with all of this its debatable but I think I'm leaning towards the op with the patella tendon rather than the hamstring.
grime
Cat 2 Groupie
Cat 2 Groupie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

43. I think it depends on what stresses are put on the knee without the acl as to whether or not you get osteoarthritis longer term and that goes back to whether or not you can get good stability in it but it is something I will speak with the consultant about. He really wasn't too keen on doing the surgery but did say it was entirley my decision (I am fortunate enough to have private health insurance). I fortunately haven't damaged the meniscus which I think helps. I am still not entirely sure about surgery or not but because of the mcl injury it is unlikley he would operate right now in any event so I have a couple of months to decide.

As far as I know there are a lot of people who carry on fairly active lives without an acl and don't really have any problems but I guess for me time will tell. One thing I have found about looking at the interent is that you only tend to hear about the bad news stories as those who get by just fine don't tend to write about it. I'm going to keep asking questons of my consultant as more things come to mind and also see how the rehab goes for now.
Crew
Elite Poster
Elite Poster

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I think your right about peoples views. I'm working my way through colleagues at work and successfully find a very large amount who have had the same injury and its very mixed on the op/no op.

I'm going to speak to someone tomorrow who has done both and neither have been operated on. I guess he's very lucky with the configuration of his knees.
zebedee
Cat 2 Groupie
Cat 2 Groupie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Theres a bloody good physio near to you,he sorted my knee,scottish bloke ,tells you straight,doesnt expect you to return again and again as what he does and instructs you to do actually works,he also said to me " the bike is your friend"

ive just emailed a mate who is the local knee *CENSORED* and also works in oxford,re trampolines and she said they enhance your knees,which is the green light for me to buy one.... Very Happy
irishdave
E, Silver

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

patella tendon grafts have better outcome stats from what i ve read.. surgeon can also graft from gracilis (an adductor) or one of the hamstrings (semimembranosis or semitendinosis)

no matter what your decision re: op or no op, a comprehensive and progressive strengthening programme is required for definite!

see a chartered physio, your consultant can refer you, you ll get in quicker to NHS with a referral.

any physio should start this immediately as long as pain and swelling are no longer active / recurring!! swelling is the most important factor of these two. pain is temporary and all that.....
Stotti
E, Bronze

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did my acl 10 years ago and was okay for about 7 years before the surgeon recommended the op as i was having issues. I had an ACL reconstruction last Feb.(hamstring section) Had another op in october as I was left with a residual problem. Still having difficulties, my knee is full of scar tissue - the only time its not sore is when i ride my bike as i seems to loosen up.

My advice would be to have the op as there is no problem with my acl now - the scar tissue that built up over the years since the injury has created my issues, i think if i had had it one straight away and done proper physio it would have been sorted.

I was ridin bikes when Moses wore short pants
JimmyRay
E, Silver

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From people who have had other ligament tears, I am of the firm belief that early reconstructive work is the way forward if you are going to go that way.

Generally from the limited pool of people who have gone through such ops, the outcomes are prety damn good.
rugbyleague
E, Bronze

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had 3 cruciate knee replacements caused by rugbyleague

both knees done first one failed after 3 years and was a carbon fibre graft I don't think they do this version of the op anymore because lots failed

anyway one op is 15 years old the other about 10 years cycling reccomended for rehab and have no problems now

lost a little bit of bend in my leg and kneeling not too comfortable but apart from that it's loads better than my knee giving way all the time

recovery post op can be quite quick aswell

i
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Health & Fitness All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: