Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk :: View topic - A question for the swimmers on here

Home FAQ Register Usergroups Search Memberlist Gallery StatisticsForum Sponsors •  Photo RequestProfile • Links Log in to check your private messagesLog inBC Eastmidlands

A question for the swimmers on here

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Health & Fitness
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gains
E, Bronze

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:08 pm    Post subject: A question for the swimmers on here Reply with quote

I ended up with Achilles tendonitis in my left leg 6 weeks ago but didn't realise how long these things take to heal and kept trying a bit of swimming/biking as soon as the pain went, only to find myself back at square one again. From what I've read since, I reckon I'm going to have to avoid using it at all for another 6 weeks.

It's already done my head in so the thought of 6 more weeks doing absolutely no training is just sh1te.
I'm wondering if I could get away with swimming if I wore ankle floats so that I'm effectively dragging myself through the water using only my upper body. It'd probably look ridiculous but it'd keep me sane and reasonably fit.

Would this work or am I just going to end up drowning? I'm a strong swimmer using the usual four limbs but have never tried this so have no idea if it's a viable option.
Hans Datdodishes
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can do front crawl using just arms - I used to do this out of boredom - legs don't need floats as well

I'm a qualified coach.
mattr
World Champ

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it formed part of training drills for swimming, arms only crawl (or butterfly, or backstoke) Its not hard to do.
Gains
E, Bronze

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds promising.

I was thinking that if I used ankle floats I could strap my foot up and it'd make sure that there was no strain on the tendon at all.
Steve McGinty
Div 2 Pro

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use a float between your thighs

just cross your ankles and the float will give you enough buoyancy. It's a good workout
AnG
Cat 2 Groupie
Cat 2 Groupie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve McGinty wrote:
Use a float between your thighs

just cross your ankles and the float will give you enough buoyancy. It's a good workout

+1. that's what I was gonna say.
rugbyleague
E, Bronze

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And me it's part of a swimmers drill to strengthen upper body when I coach we also use a rubber band to stop sneeky kicks..... Just be careful with a dodgy ankle pushing off the wall
Gains
E, Bronze

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rugbyleague wrote:
And me it's part of a swimmers drill to strengthen upper body when I coach we also use a rubber band to stop sneeky kicks..... Just be careful with a dodgy ankle pushing off the wall

Yeah I'd avoid tumble turns until it was better.

I've ordered a pull buoy and will give it a go then. It sounds like as long as I can stop my foot flexing around as it drags in the water then it might be ok. Certainly hope so as sitting around idle is seriously doing my nut in and I can't think of what other form of exercise I could try.
colinpeerman
E, Gold

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gains wrote:
rugbyleague wrote:

I've ordered a pull buoy and will give it a go then. It sounds like as long as I can stop my foot flexing around as it drags in the water then it might be ok. Certainly hope so as sitting around idle is seriously doing my nut in and I can't think of what other form of exercise I could try.

wanking
Gains
E, Bronze

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

colinpeerman wrote:
Gains wrote:
rugbyleague wrote:

wanking

I'm already putting in 20 hour weeks where that's concerned.
Tucker
Tour Winner

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gains wrote:
colinpeerman wrote:
Gains wrote:
rugbyleague wrote:

wanking

I'm already putting in 20 hour weeks where that's concerned.

Impressive. I haven't been able to recover that fast since I was 16.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Health & Fitness All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: