Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk :: View topic - Anybody who's had Achilles tendonitis...

Home FAQ Register Usergroups Search Memberlist Gallery StatisticsForum Sponsors •  Photo RequestProfile • Links Log in to check your private messagesLog inBC Eastmidlands

Anybody who's had Achilles tendonitis...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Health & Fitness
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gains
E, Bronze

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:00 pm    Post subject: Anybody who's had Achilles tendonitis... Reply with quote

...did you manage to cycle through it (assuming that you could rectify the original cause of the injury)?

I've got it in my left foot after taking a new road bike out for a long ride with the saddle accidentally set too high.
I did 3,500 odd miles on my old bike last summer without any problems so I know the ride position on that is ok. I've since adjusted the new bike so that it matches the old one, but daren't take it out for a ride without asking around first in case it's just a really bad idea regardless.
JimmyRay
E, Silver

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes and no... You need to get the swelling down in the tendon sheeth before you can really go at it, but at the same time, if you have identified and rectified the cause of the irritation than you should be able to ride through to a degree.

personally I'd rest a couple more days and then start some riding... comng home before it hrts not when it hurts.
Gains
E, Bronze

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there an easy way to tell when the swelling has gone? It never looked swollen or felt it (to the touch) but at its worst it was squeaking and cracking if I moved my foot up and down.

It isn't doing that now but is still sore and I get the odd stab of sharp pain when walking (particularly up and down stairs).
Hans Datdodishes
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gains wrote:
Is there an easy way to tell when the swelling has gone? It never looked swollen or felt it (to the touch) but at its worst it was squeaking and cracking if I moved my foot up and down.

It isn't doing that now but is still sore and I get the odd stab of sharp pain when walking (particularly up and down stairs).

Had it - bloke who treated mine sorted it with ultrasound and ibuprofen - didn't train again until I was totally pain free.

I'm a qualified coach.
Gains
E, Bronze

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hans Datdodishes wrote:

Had it - bloke who treated mine sorted it with ultrasound and ibuprofen - didn't train again until I was totally pain free.

Out of interest, how long did it take to get yours sorted?

I did mine 6 weeks ago but it's never had more than two straight weeks of complete rest because I kept trying a bit of swimming as soon as the pain had completely gone, thinking that it was ok.
As a result I've ended up setting it back a few times, although in hindsight swimming is probably the worst thing for it when you consider how much your feet must move around as you kick so maybe I'd have been better off trying a bit of easy cycling instead.
Hans Datdodishes
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gains wrote:
Hans Datdodishes wrote:

Out of interest, how long did it take to get yours sorted?

I did mine 6 weeks ago but it's never had more than two straight weeks of complete rest because I kept trying a bit of swimming as soon as the pain had completely gone, thinking that it was ok.
As a result I've ended up setting it back a few times, although in hindsight swimming is probably the worst thing for it when you consider how much your feet must move around as you kick so maybe I'd have been better off trying a bit of easy cycling instead.

Two ultrasound sessions and two weeks off the bike.
Mine was mild though - caused by a minor fall in training that knocked one of my shoeplates slightly askew. Rode the prologue and stage one of the Silver spoon two day, couldn't walk on the sunday morning, went to the remedial masseur bloke on the Monday so it was dealt with quickly

I'm a qualified coach.
Gains
E, Bronze

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopefully mine's pretty mild too then as it was the result of doing one 50 mile ride with the saddle too high rather than repeated abuse over a number of rides/long period of time.
16mm
E, Silver

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: Anybody who's had Achilles tendonitis... Reply with quote

Gains wrote:
...did you manage to cycle through it (assuming that you could rectify the original cause of the injury)?

I've got it in my left foot after taking a new road bike out for a long ride with the saddle accidentally set too high.
I did 3,500 odd miles on my old bike last summer without any problems so I know the ride position on that is ok. I've since adjusted the new bike so that it matches the old one, but daren't take it out for a ride without asking around first in case it's just a really bad idea regardless.

I put my foot in alternating warm and ice water to increase the bloodflow around the area.

I think acupuncture is also used to increase the bloodflow.
I rode turbo, so I could get off as soon as it started to hurt.
I was also told by physio to stretch it as much as I could.

Maybe 4 weeks off the bike.
JimmyRay
E, Silver

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll know when the swellings gone as there will be no pain!

Might be worth going to see a good physio as knocking and banging suggests there is some scar tissue to break down.

Worth spending some time really looking in to biomechanics too as one ride with your saddle too high, suggests that you're pretty close to your limits on a day to day basis with your normal position.

I have a weakness in my achilles an often get irritation... that irritation rarely moves towards tendonitis, but I always have to be careful. Think about your shoes, and moving your cleats back a bit.
Lone Wheeler
E, Bronze

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had bad case of it in both ankles in about 2005, never known pain like it. They also creaked and you could feel the ligments had swollen and it hurt even to walk never mind ride the bike, felt like they were burning. Had lots of radiotherapy and did stretching and cold/hot water stuff. Still sometimes hurts and sometimes its sore on cold/wet days even before getting on the bike. Could of been worse, could of snapped em!
Voodoo
Div 2 Pro

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had since I was 15 in both ankles

I have just had to live with it as nothing seems to clear it for me.

I tore my right achilles when I was 15 in a cross country race and neither have been the same since. I've only been able to run again after 10 years not doing it over the past few months.

I normally rub Ibroprufen Gel in it if it is bad. Ultrasound has helped in the past but after 20 years I can't really get that all that often

I have never had a problem riding a bike though (well other than the obvious lack in ability)
Gains
E, Bronze

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JimmyRay wrote:

Might be worth going to see a good physio as knocking and banging suggests there is some scar tissue to break down.

Worth spending some time really looking in to biomechanics too as one ride with your saddle too high, suggests that you're pretty close to your limits on a day to day basis with your normal position.

The knocking/creaking only lasted for a day but it's now burning and tingling so it sounds like there must be inflammation there. I've got a physio appointment coming up soon though just to make sure.

As for ride position; on the ride that injured it I'd got my saddle almost 5cm too high (don't ask!) so it was a long way off my normal position. I did just under 3,500 miles last year without any problems so I reckon my cleats etc must be ok and it was just this one instance of stupidity that did me in.
Hans Datdodishes
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gains wrote:
JimmyRay wrote:

The knocking/creaking only lasted for a day but it's now burning and tingling so it sounds like there must be inflammation there. I've got a physio appointment coming up soon though just to make sure.

As for ride position; on the ride that injured it I'd got my saddle almost 5cm too high (don't ask!) so it was a long way off my normal position. I did just under 3,500 miles last year without any problems so I reckon my cleats etc must be ok and it was just this one instance of stupidity that did me in.

Just stick your saddle at 109% - jobs a good'un Laughing
An un-named teammate once read about saddle height and put his straight to full height (gradual increases are for fairies), oh how we laughed

I'm a qualified coach.
Gains
E, Bronze

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got it wrong by matching the standover height with my old bike rather than the saddle-to-pedal height.

It's comforting to know that even the pros sometimes slip up too though Very Happy
JimmyRay
E, Silver

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hans Datdodishes wrote:
Gains wrote:
JimmyRay wrote:

Just stick your saddle at 109% - jobs a good'un Laughing
An un-named teammate once read about saddle height and put his straight to full height (gradual increases are for fairies), oh how we laughed

Apparently latest studies suggest that when making adjustements to positional changes, you do it all in one, and then adjust your training load to accomodate the muscle/joint vunerability. Moving teh saddle in increments, just encouraged your body to sit on teh saddle differently to achieve the same position as before.... or something.
Gains
E, Bronze

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JimmyRay wrote:

Apparently latest studies suggest that when making adjustements to positional changes, you do it all in one, and then adjust your training load to accomodate the muscle/joint vunerability. Moving teh saddle in increments, just encouraged your body to sit on teh saddle differently to achieve the same position as before.... or something.

I can see the logic in that, just make sure that you test any adjustments on a series of short, easy rides in case you've got it wrong like I did!

My injury turned out to be a damaged sciatic nerve, despite me having textbook symptoms of Achilles tendonitis. Lucky I went to see somebody about it as it'd never have got better on its own regardless of my vigilant RICE'ing, and I'd never have figured out that it was actually a back injury.
JimmyRay
E, Silver

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! thats nuts innit?

Glad you're better though .
Gains
E, Bronze

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers.

Yeah it is a bit nuts. After almost 3 months off the bike with virtually no improvement I was starting to think I'd never get better, then within a week of it being correctly diagnosed I was riding again.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Health & Fitness All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: