Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk :: View topic - Deep rim carbon, why

Home FAQ Register Usergroups Search Memberlist Gallery StatisticsForum Sponsors •  Photo RequestProfile • Links Log in to check your private messagesLog inBC Eastmidlands

Deep rim carbon, why
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Tips & How To
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mattr
World Champ

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And the R-SYS absorbs so much power it sometimes explodes........
highlandpro
Div 3 Pro

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: Deep rim carbon, why Reply with quote

Davey D wrote:
Hi there

maybe something for the discussion section but try here, I've been wondering what the benefit is to racing with deep rim (40/50) carbon wheels.
I've got an excellent pair of Dtswiss hand builts but got the chance to race on some deep rim carbons, not sure what the benefits will except for looking good.

Give Derek a phone at wheelsmith, he will explain the pros and cons mate his number is on his website, www.wheelsmith.co.uk

Thanks HP Laughing

www.wheelsmith.co.uk
www.metaltek.co.uk
www.nottinghamforest.co.uk
www.meltonolympic.co.uk
mattr
World Champ

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Davey C wrote:
mattr wrote:
Davey C wrote:
Engineers - any further clue?
Clue to what?

They are faster on the flat, and on marginal gradients. (7/8% IIRC)

They cost a shyt load if you break them.

Braking is cack in the wet (CF is slippery).

Tubs are a hassle (relatively)

???

Thanks.
what else did you want to know. FWIW, a 10 minute search on WW will give you more info than any reasonable person would want.

I'd have both. Except i'm a fat knacker.
Davey C
Div 2 Pro

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used some Shamals last night at Castle Coombe. Can't say I noticed a big difference but think some deeps sections would have been better...
Tucker
Tour Winner

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Davey C wrote:
I used some Shamals last night at Castle Coombe. Can't say I noticed a big difference but think some deeps sections would have been better...

+1, except for Shamals I had ksyriums.

In related news, I was speaking to a bloke at a race last weekend who was explaining why he was riding 32 spokes box sections on a pan-flat motor circuit - apparently he can't feel any difference vs deep sections. Of course, his ceramic jockey wheel bearings probably more than made up the difference.

Needless to say, he was not seen in the same postcode as the front of the race.
Davey C
Div 2 Pro

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tucker wrote:
Davey C wrote:

In related news, I was speaking to a bloke at a race last weekend who was explaining why he was riding 32 spokes box sections on a pan-flat motor circuit - apparently he can't feel any difference vs deep sections. Of course, his ceramic jockey wheel bearings probably more than made up the difference.

The Shamals do have nice bearings. I think the Shamals vs my old clincher Zipps the Shamals win out. However I would like some deeps to have the option for crits and the like.
Tucker
Tour Winner

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Davey C wrote:
Tucker wrote:
Davey C wrote:

The Shamals do have nice bearings. I think the Shamals vs my old clincher Zipps the Shamals win out. However I would like some deeps to have the option for crits and the like.

+1

I made a terrible mistake buying semi-deep sections - they're the worst of all worlds. Light though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Tips & How To All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: