Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk :: View topic - Cyclo Cross help required.

Home FAQ Register Usergroups Search Memberlist Gallery StatisticsForum Sponsors •  Photo RequestProfile • Links Log in to check your private messagesLog inBC Eastmidlands

Cyclo Cross help required.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Tips & How To
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JONNO
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:48 am    Post subject: Cyclo Cross help required. Reply with quote

I'm building a bike up to ride a few cyclo-cross events this winter and need some pedals. As I won't be having spare bikes and a team of helpers with jet washes and brushes at the ready I need some pedals that will take a bit of muck and still work. What's the favoured type these days?
I was being chased by a police dog last week, and made the mistake of trying to escape through a little tunnel, over a see-saw and through a hoop of fire. It finally caught me as I was weaving in and out of some sticks.
Steve P
Div 3 Pro

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Egg beaters will be ya best option, 2nd Candys then 3rd XTR'S
mattr
World Champ

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or Time ATAC.

Think they are still cheaper than all of the above.
Almost as good mud clearance as the eggbeaters, as good as candies, better than XTR. And no history of falling apart (eggbeaters).
Nice positive action (not as good as XTR, but better than the eggs/candies, which i've found a bit vague and bleeeurgh). Also a good release, there are tales of eggs releasing suddenly with *very* slightly worn cleats..... not experienced it, but don't want to!!

My first pair of ATACs (which i have mentioned on here before) have finally been thrown in the bin. I bought them shortly after the national champs in 1996. Then raced MTB on them for several years, then trained/raced cross on them, then let the wife use them. Then gave them to a mate to replace some SPDs (which were crippling her). They expired in the spring (after yet another winters commuting). RIP.
nellyp
E, Silver

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattr wrote:
but better than the eggs/candies, which i've found a bit vague and bleeeurgh).

I'll agree with Mattr on this, i tried some eggs and it never felt as though i was firmly clipped in. Went back to SPD's...

www.v-sprint.com
JONNO
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys, I've used time rxs on my road bikes up to this year and never had a problem with them so it sounds like a good bet.
I was being chased by a police dog last week, and made the mistake of trying to escape through a little tunnel, over a see-saw and through a hoop of fire. It finally caught me as I was weaving in and out of some sticks.
mattr
World Champ

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you already use time on the road bike, you should have no issues with them at all.

(oh, they have a nice big stable platform too, compared to *most* of the competition)
martin smith
World Champ

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Egg beaters do release eventually but only once the plates are so worn it barely clicks as you put your foot in which takes about a year or more. i've managed to trash a couple of pairs by crashing but never had them fall apart, although i have seen one come clean off the bearing when it had worn so much the balls didn't hold the axle in any more. that said, the rider in question had said on every ride for the previous six months 'i really muse replace these bearings, they feel really sloppy'

the feel of them is a matter of taste, i quite like them, i can see why some don't.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Tips & How To All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: