Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk :: View topic - Fat burning heart rate zone

Home FAQ Register Usergroups Search Memberlist Gallery StatisticsForum Sponsors •  Photo RequestProfile • Links Log in to check your private messagesLog inBC Eastmidlands

Fat burning heart rate zone
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Health & Fitness
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chrissylaa
E, Gold

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andrew Jackson wrote:
Davey C wrote:
Andrew Jackson wrote:
Eat more protein and less carbs. Pasta and bread full of empty cals. Go out and just enjoy riding, throw away the HRM. Eat less, eat smart - paleo is the future.

Not this again. Rolling Eyes

Legs/muscles hurt less after exercise if they are fed protein. In a previous post there was a comment that his legs hurts a few days after training. More protein helps recovery and weight loss.

...but you need carbs to deliver the protein to the muscles properly.
pheonix
Cat 3 Groupie
Cat 3 Groupie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I understand carbs and proteins a little (I have read things on the internet about the HR zones, cycling etc. That is how I found VeloRiders), but don't feel that am into it that specifically. I'll eat my usual meals, go out and ride, get back and have my tea and download the HRM. In fact I am hoping to go out tonight for 2.5 hours if it isn't wet. I think I will try and ride at a level where I am breathing hardish and pushing a bit but will ignore the HRM and see what the numbers say and what sort of zone I was in when I get back home. I'll let you know how I get on if it's not too boring.
Billy Boy
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave Griffiths wrote:
‘Chuck away the heart monitor’, well, if it gives someone an added interest then ‘why’?

Because it means you end up relying on it and can become a slave to what it says all the time, which can be misleading, demotiviating and pointless. If it adds interest them fine, but for me a HRM became as interesting and useful as a bag of mouldy burgers.

"Eating is not for wimps" - coal miner

"most of us don't have your brilliance." - John McC
Rich Hill
Tour Winner

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy Boy wrote:

Because it means you end up relying on it and can become a slave to what it says all the time, which can be misleading, demotiviating and pointless. If it adds interest them fine, but for me a HRM became as interesting and useful as a bag of mouldy burgers.

I think in TRAINING - PowerMeters and HRMS have their place. I found using a PowerMeter very interesting as I found that I could tend to soft pedal when I 'thought' I was 'avin it'

In racing though - pointless.
Joursans
Div 2 Pro

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Losing a pound a week is sensible. I would n't try to lose it it at any faster rate.

Mebbe line up some cycling "event" to work towards to help with motivation. Then again if you're enjoying your cycling anyway, mebbe don't bother. Smile
Billy Boy
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich Hill wrote:
Billy Boy wrote:

I think in TRAINING - PowerMeters and HRMS have their place. I found using a PowerMeter very interesting as I found that I could tend to soft pedal when I 'thought' I was 'avin it'

In racing though - pointless.

And pointless for me. As soon as I get remotely scientific about it I find the whole game a complete waste of effort.

If it helps people then that's good, but just don't be a slave to it.

Tucker
Tour Winner

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andrew Jackson wrote:
Davey C wrote:
Andrew Jackson wrote:
Eat more protein and less carbs. Pasta and bread full of empty cals. Go out and just enjoy riding, throw away the HRM. Eat less, eat smart - paleo is the future.

Legs/muscles hurt less after exercise if they are fed protein. In a previous post there was a comment that his legs hurts a few days after training. More protein helps recovery and weight loss.

Nah, this is bolleaux. Science will back me up.
pheonix
Cat 3 Groupie
Cat 3 Groupie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pheonix wrote:
I think I understand carbs and proteins a little (I have read things on the internet about the HR zones, cycling etc. That is how I found VeloRiders), but don't feel that am into it that specifically. I'll eat my usual meals, go out and ride, get back and have my tea and download the HRM. In fact I am hoping to go out tonight for 2.5 hours if it isn't wet. I think I will try and ride at a level where I am breathing hardish and pushing a bit but will ignore the HRM and see what the numbers say and what sort of zone I was in when I get back home. I'll let you know how I get on if it's not too boring.

If anybody is interested, I went out last night and rode 42.7 miles. I ignored the HRM and rode a hard pace that I thought I could last. It was OK until the last 5 miles where my legs were very tired and hurting. I struggled over every rise at the end.
I don't intend to ride like this again, it was a case of staring at the road in front of me and not seeing the scenery at all. I might just do short hard stints within a ride in future.
Here are the stats:
42.7 miles
2 hours 18 minutes.
Average speed = 18.56mph
149bpm average = 85.6% HRmax.
Calories = 1236.
This now brings my total miles to 321 miles.
As I don't intend to ride in the wet, would I be likely to have a higher average speed if I removed the mudguards? That way I could ride more miles in the given time.
Hopefully I will especially, if I lose some weight.
Thanks for your interest.
Terry Tibbs
E, Gold

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andrew Jackson wrote:
Davey C wrote:
Andrew Jackson wrote:

Could have bloody fooled me. Was chops off on the Beta A/ Caffeine compound on Monday night for inter alia 6 sets of Squats. Ingested shyteloads of protein afterwards (shake straight away and a pretty hefty steak when I got home) and I'm still bloody hurting.
Billy Boy
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pheonix wrote:
pheonix wrote:

If anybody is interested, I went out last night and rode 42.7 miles. I ignored the HRM and rode a hard pace that I thought I could last. It was OK until the last 5 miles where my legs were very tired and hurting. I struggled over every rise at the end.
I don't intend to ride like this again, it was a case of staring at the road in front of me and not seeing the scenery at all. I might just do short hard stints within a ride in future.
Here are the stats:
42.7 miles
2 hours 18 minutes.
Average speed = 18.56mph
Calories = 1236.
As I don't intend to ride in the wet, would I be likely to have a higher average speed if I removed the mudguards? That way I could ride more miles in the given time.

Just ride a bit slower then.

Roy Gardiner
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Davey C wrote:
Andrew Jackson wrote:
Phoenix, you may infer from this that it's an old topic on here. There has been ill-mannered argument over it.

But you won't have seen that. So at the risk of boring other VRs, my experience is that cutting right down on bread, rice, pasta and potatoes caused me to lose weight. I used to change from 85kg at Christmas to 80kg in July; now it's 79kg-76kg variation.

"Everything in war is simple, but the simplest thing is difficult." Carl Von Clausewitz
Chrissylaa
E, Gold

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pheonix wrote:
pheonix wrote:

Here are the stats:
42.7 miles
2 hours 18 minutes.
Average speed = 18.56mph
Calories = 1236.

Good ride.

Pointless taking the guards off though.
Terry Tibbs
E, Gold

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roy Gardiner wrote:
Davey C wrote:
Andrew Jackson wrote:
Phoenix, you may infer from this that it's an old topic on here. There has been ill-mannered argument over it.

But you won't have seen that. So at the risk of boring other VRs, my experience is that cutting right down on bread, rice, pasta and potatoes caused me to lose weight. I used to change from 85kg at Christmas to 80kg in July; now it's 79kg-76kg variation.

Where was this ill mannered argument? I like a laugh.
Dave Griffiths
E, Silver

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2 hours 18 minutes.
Average speed = 18.56mph
Calories = 1236.

Phoenix .... 321 miles is like 'nothing' and to progress to those stats seems very good, to me.
I don't think the cals figures are likely to be accurate but it would be interesting to see your max HR.
As Billy Boy said, 'you can just ride a little bit easier' and yet are likely to exceed that average speed in the near future (lucky you!)
pheonix
Cat 3 Groupie
Cat 3 Groupie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that is what I am going to do, ride easier like Billy Boy wrote, but may do some faster bits in a ride if I feel like it.
I'm pretty sure my max HR is about 173-175bpm. I can't see myself exceeding that average speed as it was so hard to do but it will sort of be a high end base line for me to compare with.
Roy Gardiner says cutting down on bread, rice, pasta and potoatoes is good to lose weight. Trouble is they are probably my favourite staples, so I just make sure I don't load my plate up too much. I also have plenty of protein like Tuna steaks and other meats.
16mm
E, Silver

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pheonix wrote:
Yes, that is what I am going to do, ride easier like Billy Boy wrote, but may do some faster bits in a ride if I feel like it.
I'm pretty sure my max HR is about 173-175bpm. I can't see myself exceeding that average speed as it was so hard to do but it will sort of be a high end base line for me to compare with.
Roy Gardiner says cutting down on bread, rice, pasta and potoatoes is good to lose weight. Trouble is they are probably my favourite staples, so I just make sure I don't load my plate up too much. I also have plenty of protein like Tuna steaks and other meats.

I too love the carbs, but managed to lose 10kg (95 to 85) by just eating a few less. I used to have toast snacks twice a day. I just stopped, and had toast only after a ride, and smaller portions of other carbs.

Don't over do it, but make the smaller portions become your standard portion. Don't go back to the bigger portions, ever.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Health & Fitness All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: