Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk :: View topic - Fractured Fibula

Home FAQ Register Usergroups Search Memberlist Gallery StatisticsForum Sponsors •  Photo RequestProfile • Links Log in to check your private messagesLog inBC Eastmidlands

Fractured Fibula

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Health & Fitness
View previous topic :: View next topic  
McAndrew's
Cat 4 Groupie
Cat 4 Groupie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:03 pm    Post subject: Fractured Fibula Reply with quote

My 13 year old daughter has fractured her fibula close to the ankle in a grass track accident, it is a clean break and she did not need pinnning. What exercise would be beneficial to aid her recovery, or is complete rest the only way until she gets her plaster off? We were thinking of getting her to ride the turbo trainer with her good leg. She broke it on the 1st of Aug and really wants to be fit for cyclo-cross at the end of Sept. Thanks
legro

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rest let it heal she is young she has next year

Fear leads to anger....Anger leads to Stress......Stress leads to Doobies...and Doobies leads to Twinkies

The spirit of Brian must live on
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
John McC

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

legro wrote:

Agreed.
mho
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John McC wrote:
legro wrote:

Agreed.

+1,000
Doc James
E, Bronze

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mho wrote:
John McC wrote:
legro wrote:

Agreed.

+1,000

+1*10^6. It's just not worth taking the risk of a second accident involving the injured leg (falling off while trying to mount the turbo or something) and converting it into a bigger problem. Should only be in POP 8-10/52 I imagine (but I'm not an orthopaedic surgeon).
Tucker
Tour Winner

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not ask the doctor that treated her, rather than relying on a few people who know nothing about medicine and one who does but hasn't seen the x-rays?
legro

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hark at VR's agony Aunt

Fear leads to anger....Anger leads to Stress......Stress leads to Doobies...and Doobies leads to Twinkies

The spirit of Brian must live on
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
JimmyRay
E, Silver

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this is one of those, take a step back and look at the bigger picture moments.

Forget the bike until the leg has healed, however, maybe research what sort of exercises etc may benefit the overall healing of the bone... I'm no expert but I may have read somewhere that mild exercise may speed recovery, due to elevating metabolism.

I've known a few people budding athletes that broke bones when young,a dn being manly or focused on the 'prize' pushed the envelope. They are all living with compromised bodies now, and all would say they'd have taken things slower if given the chance again.
McAndrew's
Cat 4 Groupie
Cat 4 Groupie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:02 pm    Post subject: Help Reply with quote

Hi, we wondered if anyone had first hand knowledge, we are happy to rest our daughter and forget this year's cross, but she would like something to aim for. Just looking on the internet there is so much contradictory information, rest/don't rest, eat less calories / take in more. Last time we went to the fracture clinic they were 1 hr late, and we barely got to sit down, when we started to ask questions, you get given a leaflet. We wondered if doing some light exercise would aid the blood circulation to the damaged bone?
T12OTT
E, Bronze

Location: Floating upto the Roundhouse, before going to Croydon

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Help Reply with quote

McAndrew's wrote:
Hi, we wondered if anyone had first hand knowledge, we are happy to rest our daughter and forget this year's cross, but she would like something to aim for. Just looking on the internet there is so much contradictory information, rest/don't rest, eat less calories / take in more. Last time we went to the fracture clinic they were 1 hr late, and we barely got to sit down, when we started to ask questions, you get given a leaflet. We wondered if doing some light exercise would aid the blood circulation to the damaged bone?

I'd agree with legro, she is young and has plenty of time, so just let her rest and recover

Emma had a similar [same place, clean break but cockscrew] injury (fell off her bike while I was teaching LT to ride!) at the end of (school) year 2.

Was only cycling for fun at the time but she was trampolining regularly/compeditively! Was in plaster all over summer hols and first few weeks of new school year.

Was back on the trampoline after about 16 weeks. Had some very limited exercises to strengthen the muscles initially after the plaster came off, no real physio and no long term damage.
Doc James
E, Bronze

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Help Reply with quote

McAndrew's wrote:

Yep. I definitely would not be worrying about calories at 13 for so many psychosocial reasons but not my position to judge. I understand your frustration with fracture clinic; it's not the best patient experience but unfortunately the sheer number of patients to be "processed" dictates the system. If it's an consolation, you still only get 2 minutes if you're "in the the trade" Rolling Eyes Generally, the shorter the appointment; the less there is to be worried about. My recommendation (from personal experience, NOT professional) would be to continually ask "can she start weight bearing?" and when the answer is "yes", to seek out a recommended private physio. As I say, personal experience only - not professional advice.
Chrissylaa
E, Gold

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time to chill and come back stronger next year IMO.

Car hit me when i was 14,broke all of the bones in my left leg(snapped my femur in half! and spent 3 months in hospital) so i gave it a few months before roller riding(before walking properly),doctors thought i would not walk again.

200 000 miles later i'm 43 and have managed to fit in plenty of riding and racing.
eastway82
Div 3 Pro

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tucker wrote:
Why not ask the doctor that treated her, rather than relying on a few people who know nothing about medicine and one who does but hasn't seen the x-rays?

Because doctors (especially surgeons) tend to have a pretty narrow world-view. Their idea of a perfect outcome is often for the little bit that they've fixed to come out perfectly, sometimes at the expense of other collateral damage such as muscle wastage or calcium build-up in nearby joints (it took over a year before I could straighten my elbow properly after I had my radius and ulna pinned, due to a calcium build-up in the joint which I've since learned could easily have been avoided, partly with gentle targetted exercise). They are also geared to the average couch-potato citizen, and rarely have any experience of athletes' ability and desire to get back to doing some kind of exercise, if only for mental well-being's sake. After Mrs E broke her ankle badly, the surgeon and the physio both told her there was absolutely no way she'd ever run again. She's since done triathlons and a half-marathon, which clearly proves she must have banged her head at the same time and no one noticed...
Tucker
Tour Winner

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eastway82 wrote:
Tucker wrote:

Because doctors (especially surgeons) tend to have a pretty narrow world-view. Their idea of a perfect outcome is often for the little bit that they've fixed to come out perfectly, sometimes at the expense of other collateral damage such as muscle wastage or calcium build-up in nearby joints (it took over a year before I could straighten my elbow properly after I had my radius and ulna pinned, due to a calcium build-up in the joint which I've since learned could easily have been avoided, partly with gentle targetted exercise). They are also geared to the average couch-potato citizen, and rarely have any experience of athletes' ability and desire to get back to doing some kind of exercise, if only for mental well-being's sake. After Mrs E broke her ankle badly, the surgeon and the physio both told her there was absolutely no way she'd ever run again. She's since done triathlons and a half-marathon, which clearly proves she must have banged her head at the same time and no one noticed...

So, surgeons and physios are useless, as are people who know nothing about medicine and doctors who haven't seen the x-rays. Sounds like it's either 1. blind luck to get a sporty surgeon 2. prayer
eastway82
Div 3 Pro

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tucker wrote:

So, surgeons and physios are useless,

Which, of course, is not what I said at all... However you don't have to take everything they say as gospel, even though you may wish to give it a little more weight than you would someone monging around on here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Health & Fitness All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: