Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk :: View topic - Position help please

Home FAQ Register Usergroups Search Memberlist Gallery StatisticsForum Sponsors •  Photo RequestProfile • Links Log in to check your private messagesLog inBC Eastmidlands

Position help please
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Tips & How To
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chrissylaa
E, Gold

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JONNO wrote:
On a simple 'style and street cred' point I have just checked the worlds top 25 best bike riders ever, out. None of them seem to have 'flipped their stem' as you put it. http://www.cyclinghalloffame.com/riders/alltime25.asp

This could be because there's only about three of 'em that used aheadset systems. Very Happy and they probably didn't cut the fork column right down like our friend has.
Steve McGinty
Div 2 Pro

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JONNO wrote:
On a simple 'style and street cred' point I have just checked the worlds top 25 best bike riders ever, out. None of them seem to have 'flipped their stem' as you put it. http://www.cyclinghalloffame.com/riders/alltime25.asp

At the risk of creating the usual VR thread-drift - can I just say that the inclusion of someone who won less than a dozen significant races during his career in third place completely invalidates that list...

Thank you.
Billy Boy
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve McGinty wrote:
JONNO wrote:

At the risk of creating the usual VR thread-drift - can I just say that the inclusion of someone who won less than a dozen significant races during his career in third place completely invalidates that list...

Thank you.

Yes you can say that.

Also, people seem to forget that Big Mig won 7 Grand Tours, plus a World title and an Olympic title, plus he broke the hour record which makes him more betterer than wot That Lance woz.

"Eating is not for wimps" - coal miner

"most of us don't have your brilliance." - John McC
JONNO
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chrissylaa wrote:
JONNO wrote:

This could be because there's only about three of 'em that used aheadset systems. Very Happy and they probably didn't cut the fork column right down like our friend has.

He did right, anyone who has steerer (or fork column for those who prefer the English version) sticking out above their stem lacks style.
I was being chased by a police dog last week, and made the mistake of trying to escape through a little tunnel, over a see-saw and through a hoop of fire. It finally caught me as I was weaving in and out of some sticks.
Chrissylaa
E, Gold

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JONNO wrote:
Chrissylaa wrote:
JONNO wrote:

He did right, anyone who has steerer (or fork column for those who prefer the English version) sticking out above their stem lacks style.

Wouldn't have any above the stem but the odd spacer is acceptable under the stem.

Our friend has neither.
JONNO
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chrissylaa wrote:
JONNO wrote:
Chrissylaa wrote:
JONNO wrote:

Wouldn't have any above the stem but the odd spacer is acceptable under the stem.

Our friend has neither.

Agreed. Wouldn't flip me stem either. Looking at the third photo the whole bike looks too small tbh, but having said that photo's are always misleading so ignore that.
I was being chased by a police dog last week, and made the mistake of trying to escape through a little tunnel, over a see-saw and through a hoop of fire. It finally caught me as I was weaving in and out of some sticks.
Davey C
Div 2 Pro

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JimmyRay wrote:
Until teh third picture Iw as umming and ahhing. But that to me looks horribly stretched.

To be fair, your back in all three shots looks natural and happy, but your arms look like they are being asked big questions.

More than anything, I'd say it would affect handling more than anything else. Shorter and higher stem is what I'd be looking at.

As mentioned, flip your stem over, or even better, buy a stem 20mm shorter and flip it. Yeah, you'll feel like a dick to start with, but actually, over a short amount of time, you'll realise its all the others trying to contort their bodies into unrealistic positions that are the dicks.

A bit of a beef in my bonnet... when ahead headset systems came into existence and use on the road, suddenly roadies front ends dropped 40mm. Before ahead systems, everyone was happy and arrow, using a longer stem to get a more aero position... the thought of replicating taht position and having 40mm of ugly spacers didn't sit well, so suddenly everyone was super flexible.

I don't buy into it

Look at the third phot, the guy in front of you IMO has good angle in his arms for the position and effort. I'd try and replicate that.

+1 to this about your position. Looked fine until I saw the third picture. When on the drops you want a little bit of a bend in the elbow like the guy you are chasing in the third pic. I don't know about how you achieve it, shorter stem maybe.

I'm not even going to START to comment on your Euro points however. Rolling Eyes
mattr
World Champ

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JONNO wrote:
But is significantly reducing the chances of a split/failed steerer.
DenHaag
E, Gold

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattr wrote:
JONNO wrote:
But is significantly reducing the chances of a split/failed steerer.

Good point. The larger clamping area the better, never thought of it like that.
Tucker
Tour Winner

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JONNO wrote:
Tucker wrote:
prince wrote:
JONNO wrote:
Looks like the guy behind you out of the Merc has a bigger problem. Anyhow if you are worried find a decent coach rather than knackering yourself and wasting time experimenting. Wink

find a decent coach and throw your money away hand over fist so you can listen to his experience no matter how limited it might be and in the end learn nothing

listen to your own body Rolling Eyes

+1

Sorry to disillusion you but you get used to riding in a crap position after a few days. Go to any Sportive if you don't believe me. Maybe if you already have a good position (Like Tucker obv) then you will be able to tell straight away if it is wrong, but the same might not apply to a newcomer. A few quid spent on a DECENT frame fit could save months of messing around and wasted effort. Coks. Wink

Fine. Here's a three step plan:

1. Set bike up
2. Get someone to take a photo of you.
3. Do you look pro? If not, go to step 1.

And before you all start, I don't care about injuries, most effective position or even aero. Looking awesome must take priority.
Davey C
Div 2 Pro

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

True dat. Cool
JONNO
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tucker wrote:
JONNO wrote:
Tucker wrote:
prince wrote:
JONNO wrote:
Looks like the guy behind you out of the Merc has a bigger problem. Anyhow if you are worried find a decent coach rather than knackering yourself and wasting time experimenting. Wink

find a decent coach and throw your money away hand over fist so you can listen to his experience no matter how limited it might be and in the end learn nothing

listen to your own body Rolling Eyes

+1

Sorry to disillusion you but you get used to riding in a crap position after a few days. Go to any Sportive if you don't believe me. Maybe if you already have a good position (Like Tucker obv) then you will be able to tell straight away if it is wrong, but the same might not apply to a newcomer. A few quid spent on a DECENT frame fit could save months of messing around and wasted effort. Coks. Wink

Fine. Here's a three step plan:

1. Set bike up

And before you all start, I don't care about injuries, most effective position or even aero. Looking awesome must take priority.

Excellent Smile
JimmyRay
E, Silver

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being overly serious for a second... what is the 'pro-look'? If you actually look at the pros, especially the higher up teh food chain you go, you see a huge variety of positions and strange biomechanical wizardry, its mainly in teh wannabe class that you see 130mm stems slammed down on reduced stack headsets, saddles rammed as far back as they'll go on 40mm setback seat posts.

Looking at picture of those top 25 riders, can nobody else see how high their bars are compared to what you'll see down at the local race circuit?

As a disclaimer, if you ride a colnago, you will in all likelihood need to ride with your stem as low as it'll go, as they have quiet long headtubes and dropped bottom bracket.... now thats proper euro-stylin' consideration there!
Chrissylaa
E, Gold

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember Hinault in particular having quite a high stem.

In the 90s it did seem that mainly the french started to adopt very stretched positions.
SteveO
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chrissylaa wrote:
I remember Hinault in particular having quite a high stem.

In the 90s it did seem that mainly the french started to adopt very stretched positions.

Cos, as history has taught us, the French are spineless. Wink
mattr
World Champ

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JimmyRay wrote:
Being overly serious for a second... what is the 'pro-look'? If you actually look at the pros, especially the higher up teh food chain you go, you see a huge variety of positions and strange biomechanical wizardry, its mainly in teh wannabe class that you see 130mm stems slammed down on reduced stack headsets, saddles rammed as far back as they'll go on 40mm setback seat posts.
You mean weightweenies, don't you.......... Wink
BackInMyDay
Cat 2 Groupie
Cat 2 Groupie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't look too low to me, maybe a little too long in the drops, which will be more extreme on the hoods. Maybe try a shorter stem, only 1cm shorter and try having your palms facing the ground not in front of you, this will probably stop you pushing your shoulders forwards also. A pair of round bend bars would be best but not necessary.
Tucker
Tour Winner

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JimmyRay wrote:
Being overly serious for a second... what is the 'pro-look'?

It's not prescriptive - as you say, there are a wide variety of positions which are employed by pros. However, you will know when you see it. Like mine, for example.
Roy Gardiner
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://tinyurl.com/39h8lko
Tucker wrote:

1. Set bike up

Davey C wrote:
Looked fine until I saw the third picture. When on the drops you want a little bit of a bend in the elbow like the guy you are chasing in the third pic.
I think it's a combination of things. The front guy has co-ordinated kit and bike, shades, number not forming a sail (!), arms bent as has been pointed out. All this contributes to looking relaxed on the bike.
Quote:
I'm not even going to START to comment on your Euro points however.
Wot...?

"Everything in war is simple, but the simplest thing is difficult." Carl Von Clausewitz
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Tips & How To All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: