Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk :: View topic - Cross organisers' take on new regs

Home FAQ Register Usergroups Search Memberlist Gallery StatisticsForum Sponsors •  Photo RequestProfile • Links Log in to check your private messagesLog inBC Eastmidlands

Cross organisers' take on new regs
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Discussion (Off Road Cycling)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Disc brakes are...
Not safe, but will use them
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Not safe, won't use them
26%
 26%  [ 5 ]
safe and I will use them
31%
 31%  [ 6 ]
safe but I won't use them
42%
 42%  [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 19

Plurien
E, Silver

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:12 am    Post subject: Cross organisers' take on new regs Reply with quote

Linked over to the UCI regs from the story on BC website*
Quote:

For events where large crowds are expected, on technical parts of the course, a safety area must be provided between the spectators and the course,

The use of dangerous items along the course, such as fencing wire (barbed or otherwise) and metal stakes (including those used for advertising banners) is forbidden. The course must also be routed
away from any item which presents danger to the riders.

5.1.011 The organiser must provide riders with a heated room, showers with hot and cold water and a water supply for cleaning of equipment. These installations must be no more than 2 km from the finish line.

5.1.012 A cyclo-cross course shall include road, country and forest paths and meadowland alternating in such a way as to ensure changes in the pace of the race and allowing riders to recuperate after difficult
sections.

5.1.023 The course may include no more than six man made obstacles. Obstacle shall mean any part of the course which is likely to require riders to dismount.
The length of an obstacle may not exceed 80 metres and the height may not exceed 40 cm. The total length of obstacles may not exceed 10% of the course.
Non-natural sand pits should be minimum 40 metres, maximum 80 metres long and minimum 6 metres wide. The sand pit hould be located on a straight section and requests a level entrance and exit.

5.1.024 The course may include a single section of planks. This obstacle must consist of two planks placed minimum 4 metres and maximum 6 metres apart. The planks must be solid for their entire height and not made of metal. They must have a maximum height of 40 cm and extend the entire width of the course.
In the event that the course is abnormally slippery, the plank section must be removed on the decision of the president of the commissaires' panel in consultation with the organiser and, should he be present, the UCI technical delegate or the cyclo-cross sport coordinator.

5.1.025 The course may pass over bridges or footbridges as long as they are at least 3 metres wide and have protective barriers on both sides. Bridges or footbridges shall be covered with an anti-slip surface (matting, mesh or anti-slip paint).
In addition a separate footbridge for spectators must be provided.

5.1.028 The double pit area (see Appendix 2) is compulsory for UCI world championships, UCI world cup events, continental championships, national championships and events in class 1.
If it is not possible to design a course such that a double pit area as per article 5.1.029 can be set up, the event may only be organised with the prior consent of the cyclo-cross commission to set up two single pits

5.1.034 In double pit areas provision must be made for a water supply for cleaning of equipment. For single pit areas the water supply must be in the immediate proximity such that mechanics do not have to cross the course to access it.

Quite a few things for the Trophy and Cat A organisers to account for there - bridges, washing, no restriction to include tarmac, extra line of barriers to separate crowd from course.
Possibly the biggest change for riders, since not many run on now banned 35mm tyres, is to allow disc brakes again. I had thought the move to ban discs was very sensible because those discs get hot enough to burn and are sharp on the edge...?
Quote:
1.3.025 ... Disc brakes are allowed in cyclo-cross training and competition.

What's your view? What else could be changed for better or worse?
Billy Boy
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can we have the short version, and then I'll vote? Ta

"Eating is not for wimps" - coal miner

"most of us don't have your brilliance." - John McC
kingkongsfinger
E, Silver

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: Cross organisers' take on new regs Reply with quote

Plurien wrote:
Linked over to the UCI regs from the story on BC website*
Possibly the biggest change for riders, since not many run on now banned 35mm tyres, is to allow disc brakes again. I had thought the move to ban discs was very sensible because those discs get hot enough to burn and are sharp on the edge...?
Quote:
1.3.025 ... Disc brakes are allowed in cyclo-cross training and competition.

What's your view? What else could be changed for better or worse?

You going to ban spectators with flasks of hot water as well !! Get a grip man brake discs do get hot but what are the chances of you burning or cutting yourself on them........Oh loads that why they are banned in all UCI and BCF MTB races/enduros/sportives etc !! Rolling Eyes

Are you a 'elf and safety executive ? Shocked
Des

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rim brakes get pretty hot on mountain descents - are we going to ban them?
mattr
World Champ

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: Cross organisers' take on new regs Reply with quote

kingkongsfinger wrote:
You going to ban spectators with flasks of hot water as well !! Get a grip man brake discs do get hot but what are the chances of you burning or cutting yourself on them........Oh loads that why they are banned in all UCI and BCF MTB races/enduros/sportives etc !! Rolling Eyes

The issue with discs in CX is the fact thats its close quarters racing, with dismounts, runs ups and so on. I've been smacked by people waving their bikes around like someone in the final throes of St Vitus dance, add a nice sharp cutting disc (usually nice and hot as you've had to slow for the obstacle) then it starts to get really painful.

(FWIW, Hot water = 100 degs C (max), hot Disc = 250+ deg C. hot enough to get steel to discolour)

And you other examples are (basically) böllöcks, how many times do you get 20 riders getting off for an obstacle in an MTB race, at the same time?
Happens fairly regularly in cross. Like, erm, most laps.

I can only see one reason for allowing discs, one or more of the manufacturers (either bike or component) has been pressurising the UCI.

Either that, of they've heard of too many f**kwits who can't set up cantis.
Plurien
E, Silver

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Er, these are the UCI reg changes, not mine.
If you would care to come round ours I will get the boy to come to a stop in the road on rim brakes and then on discs. You are then warmly invited to touch the metal braking surfaces to see which is the hottest.
We will then spin the wheels up and invite you to press your body against the moving parts in a way which would mimic stumbling into another rider carrying the bike. Up to you which appropriate part of the body you want to 'fess up for said test. (pun intended)
It is quite a change to allow discs again, when they were so promptly banned before.
Other rule changes may or may not be significant. If you don't want to give a view, or don't have one please don't feel obliged to post anything.
mattr
World Champ

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Des wrote:
no, you dont tend to dismount at the bottom. And go for a run.
Des

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattr wrote:
Des wrote:

Good pint, although Jase (Voodoo) does tend to dismount halfway down. Wink
Hans Datdodishes
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Des wrote:
mattr wrote:
Des wrote:

Boddingtons

I'm a qualified coach.
Des

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hans Datdodishes wrote:
Des wrote:
mattr wrote:
Des wrote:

Boddingtons

I mistyped it Embarassed , but since when has Boddington's been a good pint?
kingkongsfinger
E, Silver

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: Cross organisers' take on new regs Reply with quote

mattr wrote:
kingkongsfinger wrote:

The issue with discs in CX is the fact thats its close quarters racing, with dismounts, runs ups and so on. I've been smacked by people waving their bikes around like someone in the final throes of St Vitus dance, add a nice sharp cutting disc (usually nice and hot as you've had to slow for the obstacle) then it starts to get really painful.

(FWIW, Hot water = 100 degs C (max), hot Disc = 250+ deg C. hot enough to get steel to discolour)

And you other examples are (basically) böllöcks, how many times do you get 20 riders getting off for an obstacle in an MTB race, at the same time?

I can only see one reason for allowing discs, one or more of the manufacturers (either bike or component) has been pressurising the UCI.

Some good points there, I have done a few cross races on a rigid MTB and usually rode up most stuff except steps, never experianced any one shouldering a bike and hitting me with it, although I always end up finishing in the 'teens will do a few more this year on my rigid MTB with discs Twisted Evil so WATCH OUT Very Happy
mattr
World Champ

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Des wrote:
I mistyped it Embarassed , but since when has Boddington's been a good pint?
It probably is to closet lager shandy drinkers.
SMB

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: Cross organisers' take on new regs Reply with quote

mattr wrote:
kingkongsfinger wrote:

Can't see discs getting overly hot in a Cross, not much sustained braking goes on, no long descents, usually a quick scrub off of top end is needed...it's all about maintaing your momentum not stop starting..
mattr
World Champ

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: Cross organisers' take on new regs Reply with quote

SMB wrote:
Can't see discs getting overly hot in a Cross, not much sustained braking goes on, no long descents, usually a quick scrub off of top end is needed...it's all about maintaing your momentum not stop starting..
Yes, at the top end, what about the *CENSORED*öcks who can barely ride a bike, you know, those flailing around with their bikes at the back of the field, getting lapped.

Front of the field = don't need discs
Back of the field = shouldn't be allowed to have discs.
kingkongsfinger
E, Silver

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: Cross organisers' take on new regs Reply with quote

mattr wrote:
SMB wrote:
Yes, at the top end, what about the *CENSORED*öcks who can barely ride a bike, you know, those flailing around with their bikes at the back of the field, getting lapped.

Front of the field = don't need discs
Back of the field = shouldn't be allowed to have discs.

Middle of the field = Ok with discs on MTB (as only using it has training, and would not be at the front on a MTB unless called Lars) Very Happy
Pete Mooney
E, Silver

Location: Hanging on to Dudley Busser Halfway between Hell and back!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Changes not a problem Cool not interested in putting extra weight on my bikes with discs.
Billy Boy
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wouldn't you only really be able to use cable discs anyway with STIs / Ergos?

"Eating is not for wimps" - coal miner

"most of us don't have your brilliance." - John McC
Plurien
E, Silver

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MTB STis were supposed to be the way forwards once, but it didn't work out that way so there are lots of hydraulic brake STis £available but they are for flat-bars.
Don't suppose it will be long before the usual brands come up with cross-specific offerings on their STis...
Di2 buttons on a hydraulic lever, for instance - That should be cheap as chips - Not!
mattr
World Champ

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fatboys dont fly wrote:
Has anyone actually had an injury from banging into a disc brake during a mtb race?
There have been a (small) handful, but its not generally congested close bunch racing, i wouldn't expect there to be many. (FWIW I touched one lightly in a race last year left a nice burn mark and a couple of scrapes, i wouldn't even call it an injury)

As for levers, just use cable discs.

The weight will be the killer, need bigger forks, stronger wheels, upgraded frame (thicker stays + mounts) plus the cable discs aren't exactly light.
Plurien
E, Silver

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anyone's interested in doing a disc build, what am I bid for a Crosslight Pro with disc mounts F + R ? !
Silver w the orangey lettering out of black in a 52cm C-C. Lightly used, nothing in the way of chainscrape or wheel rub. BB is out and shell is clean. Mech hanger is A1.
While I'm on, I also have 2 Trek Alpha XO1s, the blue ones with sensible rear stays, not the boxy black ones that were awful. Small/med frames come with both the original Al forks and carbon 'Muddy' ones for both. These frames ridden to more national podiums than you could imagine and still going strong. proof that you don't have to have this year's model to be competitive (but being smaller than 5'7" will help you get along with these ones...)
This is a busy time for cross bike builds. Join the frenzy!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Discussion (Off Road Cycling) All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: