Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk :: View topic - Can you lose too much weight

Home FAQ Register Usergroups Search Memberlist Gallery StatisticsForum Sponsors •  Photo RequestProfile • Links Log in to check your private messagesLog inBC Eastmidlands

Can you lose too much weight

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Health & Fitness
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stuart chatting
Cat 2 Groupie
Cat 2 Groupie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:15 pm    Post subject: Can you lose too much weight Reply with quote

I have lost about 1/2 a stone in the last month. Iam 6foot4 and now under13stone and wondered if I loose any more I will loose strength
Hans Datdodishes
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. For every ounce loss from your weight now, based on your BMI, you will lose 9 watts from your maximum power output. There is a formula, but I can't remember it

I'm a qualified coach.
JONNO
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hans Datdodishes wrote:
Yes. For every ounce loss from your weight now, based on your BMI, you will lose 9 watts from your maximum power output. There is a formula, but I can't remember it

Don't have a tug before you race then, could be 20 watts if your a spurter..
I was being chased by a police dog last week, and made the mistake of trying to escape through a little tunnel, over a see-saw and through a hoop of fire. It finally caught me as I was weaving in and out of some sticks.
pete1001
E, Silver

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Can you loose to much weight Reply with quote

stuart chatting wrote:
I have lost about 1/2 a stone in the last month. Iam 6foot4 and now under13stone and wondered if I loose any more I will loose strength

you need to be careful with that. Consistent weight loss means a constant calorie deficit- ergo you're not eating enough. You can't expect your body to keep performing on limited fuel. 6ft 4 and under 13 stone sounds low enough to me, for the advantages of a bit of weight loss you can run yourself way down and get all kinds of infections. I got some kind of glandular fever style yuk when I tried the same last year, 77kg at 6ft 3. Looked like s*** and had to skip an entire season Embarassed
stuart chatting
Cat 2 Groupie
Cat 2 Groupie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So do I drink more recovery drink ? Or eat more
pete1001
E, Silver

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it all depends on what you're doing. I'm no expert on it, by any means- all I'm saying is try not to get caught up in the "If I get down to 5% body fat then I'll be flying and win loads of races" syndrome. Don't starve yourself, essentially.
Rich Hill
Tour Winner

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stuart chatting wrote:
So do I drink more recovery drink ? Or eat more

Dude - it DOESN'T matter - just boil it down to Calories and go from there. If anything I'd focus on burning off the fat - do you have scales that can give you a rough idea of this?
Magnier
E, Silver

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Id comment that half a stone in a month isnt majorly significant.

Are u loosing that every month or just this one?

How hard are u training?
stuart chatting
Cat 2 Groupie
Cat 2 Groupie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I now live in Geneva so training is up hill a lot!!! So I need to be light but how light before it's too much .
Dogma Dave
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Can you lose too much weight Reply with quote

stuart chatting wrote:

I would worry more about loose stools.
JONNO
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Magnier wrote:
Id comment that half a stone in a month isnt majorly significant.

Are u loosing that every month or just this one?

How hard are u training?

Great Kelly impression there Magnier. Wink
I was being chased by a police dog last week, and made the mistake of trying to escape through a little tunnel, over a see-saw and through a hoop of fire. It finally caught me as I was weaving in and out of some sticks.
olamba
E, Silver

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My problem is the opposite, i need to put weight on. My previous life was in horse racing where being light was essential. Eating habits from when i was 16 are hard to break & i'm now officially a MAMIL
Any ideas on gaining a little weight? Healthy would be preferable! Wink
Roy Gardiner
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

olamba wrote:
My problem is the opposite, i need to put weight on. My previous life was in horse racing where being light was essential. Eating habits from when i was 16 are hard to break & i'm now officially a MAMIL Any ideas on gaining a little weight? Healthy would be preferable! Wink
I don't suppose you need to be told what healthy food is!

I presume as a jockey(?) you are not too tall and very slim/skinny. Presume (2) you want to be less skinny for your more weight, not fatter -- but fatter is what you'll be if all you do is eat more. Presume (3) that as you're on here you ride a bike. So, heart, lungs & legs sorted. I suggest starting a strength-based upper body exercise programme plus a high-protein diet.

Just suggestions; I'm unqualified, I'd check with someone who is...!

"Everything in war is simple, but the simplest thing is difficult." Carl Von Clausewitz
olamba
E, Silver

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roy Gardiner wrote:

I presume as a jockey(?) you are not too tall and very slim/skinny. Presume (2) you want to be less skinny for your more weight, not fatter -- but fatter is what you'll be if all you do is eat more. Presume (3) that as you're on here you ride a bike. So, heart, lungs & legs sorted. I suggest starting a strength-based upper body exercise programme plus a high-protein diet.

Just suggestions; I'm unqualified, I'd check with someone who is...!

6' & 10st.5lbs now! left school at 16 to be a jockey was 5'4" & 6 stone then. That career choice didn't quite work out Sad but carried on riding the bloody things.

i think half the battle is getting into a habit of eating regularly, that might sound really obvious. I try to eat a more substantial lunch now as i was finding i didn't have enough energy for my bike sessions, tend to turbo in the evening & long rides on the w/e. Have also upped my protein as my diet didn't have enough.

Thanks Roy.
Magnier
E, Silver

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

olamba wrote:
My problem is the opposite, i need to put weight on. My previous life was in horse racing where being light was essential. Eating habits from when i was 16 are hard to break & i'm now officially a MAMIL
Any ideas on gaining a little weight? Healthy would be preferable! Wink

Eat Bread! lots of!
ali_clay
Cat 1 Groupie
Cat 1 Groupie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just eat when you're hungry, drink when you're thirsty. Eat what your body asks for and consider the amount of energy you need before training and eat/drink accordingly. If you're exercising regular you don't need to *CENSORED* - that's just silly, unless you have a team of people who can monitor your state of health.
First came Monday - rest day, then Tuesday - training, then Wednesday - recovery ride, then Thursday - training race, then Friday - track or recovery ride, Saturday - mystery tour with cafe stop, Sunday - is meant for racing!
Chrissylaa
E, Gold

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is an optimum intake ratio that differs a little between people but is about:60% carbs/30%protein and 10% fat.

Or summat like that.

Legro probably knows best.
Magnier
E, Silver

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ali_clay wrote:
Just eat when you're hungry, drink when you're thirsty. Eat what your body asks for and consider the amount of energy you need before training and eat/drink accordingly. If you're exercising regular you don't need to *CENSORED* - that's just silly, unless you have a team of people who can monitor your state of health.

Really? Id say if ur hungry or thirsty its too late. Eat and drink little but regular.
cjdjustride
Elite Poster
Elite Poster

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Magnier wrote:
ali_clay wrote:

Really? Id say if ur hungry or thirsty its too late. Eat and drink little but regular.

Cake in large quantities is OK then. That's good news!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Health & Fitness All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: