Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk :: View topic - Cycling and chemo - rider aged 67

Home FAQ Register Usergroups Search Memberlist Gallery StatisticsForum Sponsors •  Photo RequestProfile • Links Log in to check your private messagesLog inBC Eastmidlands

Cycling and chemo - rider aged 67

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Health & Fitness
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ebcc61
Cat 4 Groupie
Cat 4 Groupie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:31 pm    Post subject: Cycling and chemo - rider aged 67 Reply with quote

My consultant expects me to start treatment with the chemo Chlorambucil (possibly combined with other chemo types) shortly as my Non Hodgkins Lymphoma has reduced my haemoglobin-which strangely does not seem to effect my riding which is pleasure only typically about 50 miles in about 3hrs. Has anyone experience of continuing to ride when under this treatment and how were they effected. Thanks.
Rich Hill
Tour Winner

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firstly very sorry to hear about your diagnosis.

2ndly have you spoken to your *CENSORED* about just this?
Rich Hill
Tour Winner

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evil or Very Mad CENSOR IS A PILE OF Evil or Very Mad.....
Chrissylaa
E, Gold

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

50 miles in 3 hours on chemo?

Respect is most definitely due.

Keep at as long as poss.

Stay positive and if you weaken -start watching some great racing dvds and you will soon be back.

Never ever give in.

Chris.
varno
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: Cycling and chemo - rider aged 67 Reply with quote

ebcc61 wrote:
My consultant expects me to start treatment with the chemo Chlorambucil (possibly combined with other chemo types) shortly as my Non Hodgkins Lymphoma has reduced my haemoglobin-which strangely does not seem to effect my riding which is pleasure only typically about 50 miles in about 3hrs. Has anyone experience of continuing to ride when under this treatment and how were they effected. Thanks.

Hi mate....

Be very careful....I had 6 months of ABVD regime chemo a few years ago so have first hand experience of this. Hodgkins Lymphoma.

I fully understand that you will want to keep riding and keep in shape but i would suggest that recovery between sessions is more critical, depending on the regime of treatment.

After time you will recover increasingly slower (from the chemo) and the blood levels will take longer to get back to a place where you can take the next session. If you ride "hard" through these times you could delay you next treatment, which im sure you will agree isnt recomended.

We are all different of course but my suggestion would be to just enjoy your bike for a few months and just tap out a few miles with your mates at a steady pace.Once you are through the treatment you will be back to 110% and back into "ripping their legs off" im sure...

Feel free to PM me or email v-sprint@live.co.uk at any time if you fancy a chat etc.

Go get em!!

Jim.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=182745114790&ref=mf

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjCZGQ3rMG0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Health & Fitness All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: