Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk :: View topic - iliotibial band syndrome

Home FAQ Register Usergroups Search Memberlist Gallery StatisticsForum Sponsors •  Photo RequestProfile • Links Log in to check your private messagesLog inBC Eastmidlands

iliotibial band syndrome

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Health & Fitness
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chrissylaa
E, Gold

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:59 am    Post subject: iliotibial band syndrome Reply with quote

Has anyone had this inflammation where it gives pain just down from the hip?

I had it a few years ago but then it gave pain by the side of the knee(like a hot sensation).

This has caused my left leg to be weakened quite a bit.

How long does it last and what's the remedy?
legro

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trapped nerve? muscle firing pattern out of sync?

Fear leads to anger....Anger leads to Stress......Stress leads to Doobies...and Doobies leads to Twinkies

The spirit of Brian must live on
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Terry Tibbs
E, Gold

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't it happen when your saddle is too low?
Chrissylaa
E, Gold

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

legro wrote:
trapped nerve? muscle firing pattern out of sync?

This is more a dull ache that bothers me when i'm in the saddle(pushing hard) but not so much when out of the saddle.

Don't know about the muscle pattern firing,i've never heard of that.

Doesn't bother me too much when off the bike.
Joursans
Div 2 Pro

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mild sciatica?

Remedy = Go see physio.
JONNO
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joursans wrote:
Mild sciatica?

Remedy = Go see physio.

That's what I'm thinking too if it's an ache causing loss of power.
I was being chased by a police dog last week, and made the mistake of trying to escape through a little tunnel, over a see-saw and through a hoop of fire. It finally caught me as I was weaving in and out of some sticks.
stretch armstrong
Div 3 Pro

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it is IT band syndrome a foam roller's great for loosening it off, although the technique does require a bit of practice (and a high tolerance to excruciating pain Laughing ). As with any sports injury though put your hand in your pocket and go see a good sports therapist/physio to have it diagnosed properly.

Putting the dross back in Clay Cross (RT)
cjdjustride
Elite Poster
Elite Poster

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stretch armstrong wrote:
If it is IT band syndrome a foam roller's great for loosening it off, although the technique does require a bit of practice (and a high tolerance to excruciating pain Laughing ). As with any sports injury though put your hand in your pocket and go see a good sports therapist/physio to have it diagnosed properly.

Best piece of advice you're likely to get.
one man army
Div 2 Pro

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stretch armstrong wrote:
If it is IT band syndrome a foam roller's great for loosening it off, although the technique does require a bit of practice (and a high tolerance to excruciating pain)

Wooden rolling pin from your hip to your knee

Sorted me out a TREAT. Like stretch says though, really painful

eightace
Cat 1 Groupie
Cat 1 Groupie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cjdjustride wrote:
stretch armstrong wrote:

The key word here is "good"
I spent time and money and was no better after seeing a "sports therapist" who didn't really make a diagnosis.
Lord Brush
E, Gold

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, horrid it is too Crying or Very sad

I had it a few years back in my right knee. I could almost time it to the mile during that winters off season training. I could ride perfectly fine 'til I got to around 45-50 miles and then *TWANG* it would feel like someone shoved a hot *CENSORED* in the side of my knee. Many a memory of limping back from the other side of Preston to get home.

Turned out it was my legs were a bit odd- one quite a bit longer than t'other. Pilates, stretching pre/mid/post riding, saddle position and cleat stack height all adjusted...

http://www.maxgear.co.uk

http://www.badgerbadgerbadger.com/
cjdjustride
Elite Poster
Elite Poster

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eightace wrote:
cjdjustride wrote:
stretch armstrong wrote:

The key word here is "good"
I spent time and money and was no better after seeing a "sports therapist" who didn't really make a diagnosis.

Absolutely right. Don't get Sports Massage confused with Therapy. They are quite different. Each has it's place but you need to get the right one at the right time. As with any profession you'll get good and not so good. Word of mouth is often the best recommendation and also try to look for a therapist with a particular interest in your sport. If a therapist includes the word 're-hab' in any assessment then that should you give a little more confidence in their ability. Treatment of a problem is usually straightforward. It's the accurate identifying of the cause and prevention of recurrence that takes a little thought and effort and is quite often overlooked through ignorance or lack of professionalism.
AnG
Cat 2 Groupie
Cat 2 Groupie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

+lots

Ask round and find a 'good' physiotherapist. There will be someone but it can sometimes take a little time finding that person. Rolling pin or massage roller may help if a bit of muscle tightness is all that's the problem. But there might be msucular imbalances or another underlying cause in which case the pain will just keep coming back. Or you may even make it worse. So find that physio and get diagnosed, and exercised and stretched accordingly.
ali_clay
Cat 1 Groupie
Cat 1 Groupie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went to the sports injury clinic in Birmingham uni for my lower back. Not cycling specific but he figured out the problem by a theoretical approach, give me some streetches, 2 seesions later I were fixed.

Shame you aren't a student they give discount.
First came Monday - rest day, then Tuesday - training, then Wednesday - recovery ride, then Thursday - training race, then Friday - track or recovery ride, Saturday - mystery tour with cafe stop, Sunday - is meant for racing!
Chrissylaa
E, Gold

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ali_clay wrote:
I went to the sports injury clinic in Birmingham uni for my lower back. Not cycling specific but he figured out the problem by a theoretical approach, give me some streetches, 2 seesions later I were fixed.

Shame you aren't a student they give discount.

Pics Very Happy
olamba
E, Silver

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stretch armstrong wrote:

+1
2 Weeks of serious pain but now it's all ok Very Happy . Get a proper hard foam roller though Wink
one man army
Div 2 Pro

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

olamba wrote:
stretch armstrong wrote:

+1
2 Weeks of serious pain but now it's all ok Very Happy . Get a proper hard foam roller though Wink

Rolling pin avoids the sheer gheyness of popping out to by a foam roller though.

And, when you're done, you can beat your significant other round the head with it before they then use it to roll out the pastry for your pie. Win / win.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Health & Fitness All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: