Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk :: View topic - Knee pain

Home FAQ Register Usergroups Search Memberlist Gallery StatisticsForum Sponsors •  Photo RequestProfile • Links Log in to check your private messagesLog inBC Eastmidlands

Knee pain

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Health & Fitness
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Neil_A_S
E, Bronze

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:00 pm    Post subject: Knee pain Reply with quote

My right knee has flared up pretty badly. I don't usually get any knee problems, but after a 3hr cross ride on Friday there was a little bit of tightness behind my knee. Did a 2hr road ride on Saturday no problem, followed by a 3hr road ride on Sunday, again didn't seem to be a problem. A few hours after the ride on Sunday my right knee had tightened up again.

I got up this morning and it's worse. My knee feel swollen, the pain is in the back of the knee and also runs down the back of my calf. I can't lock my knee out or go into a squatting/kneeling position.

Anybody had anything similar to this before? Any recommendations? Will be giving the bike a miss for a few days first, to see if it calms down.
DenHaag
E, Gold

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Knee pain Reply with quote

Neil_A_S wrote:

I got up this morning and it's worse. My knee feel swollen, the pain is in the back of the knee and also runs down the back of my calf. I can't lock my knee out or go into a squatting/kneeling position.

You say it feels swollen but you should be able to see it. If you lie down, relax both legs, and compare do they look the same, less definition on one knee? Don't try and force anything, squats whatever, for the time being.
cjdjustride
Elite Poster
Elite Poster

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Assessment through this medium is always fraught with danger but......you may consider injury to the proximal area (middle to top)of the gastrocnemius or the soleus, the calf muscles. In cycling the soleus muscle works mainly in an isometric state and tension/congestion can build up into an overuse/lack of stretching type injury. Other causes could include excessive pronation and worn/poor shoes.
The usual advice of elevation, compression, ice and, if you're OK with them, NSAIDs such as nurofen. Once the intial swelling has subsided then massage can help in getting muscle fibres back to their correct shape and length as can gentle stretching.
But as always, the advice has to be to go and see a good therapist at the earliest opportunity for a proper assessment, relevant treatment and effective re-hab.
ray stuart
E, Silver

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cannot accept any responsibility whatsoever for any advice I give on this forum. I have, however, found that 1/2 a bottle of Laphroig* works very well for this kind of problem. Some years ago I spent months in agony and followed the advise of various *CENSORED* medical practitioners with no improvement. Then I had a word with an Oncologist who advised medicinal whiskey. The result was fantastic - cured within 1/2 a day!
* Western Isles single malt; tastes of seaweed, steam engines, industrial smoke, iodine, heavily smoked kippers; the most medicinal of single malts
ray stuart
E, Silver

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*CENSORED" word was s p e c i a l i s t !
Billy Boy
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saw your arm off and the pain in your knee will vanish.

"Eating is not for wimps" - coal miner

"most of us don't have your brilliance." - John McC
cjdjustride
Elite Poster
Elite Poster

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ray stuart wrote:
* Western Isles single malt; tastes of seaweed, steam engines, industrial smoke, iodine, heavily smoked kippers; the most medicinal of single malts

Can't vouch for the medicinal properties but it sure is a damn fine dram.
Minoir
Cat 3 Groupie
Cat 3 Groupie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm far from being an expert, but what your describing sounds like a worn/partially torn tendon. I've had all the same symptoms just in my ankles when I twisted my ankle. Do you remember any strange painful motion you made with your knee before the pain began? All the same, I'd suggest limiting your knees range of motion with a bandage or a splint. Even if you'll walk funny, resting it should help. Make sure to get equipment from the likes of http://bikester.co.uk which will not tax your knee as much.รถ

Last edited by Minoir on Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:50 am; edited 1 time in total
Hans Datdodishes
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Play some 5 a side football

I'm a qualified coach.
ray stuart
E, Silver

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cjdjustride wrote:
ray stuart wrote:
"* Western Isles single malt; tastes of seaweed, steam engines, industrial smoke, iodine, heavily smoked kippers; the most medicinal of single malts

Can't vouch for the medicinal properties but it sure is a damn fine dram."

I wasn't referring to the medicinal properties of Laphroig, just the medicinal TASTE.
DenHaag
E, Gold

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ray stuart wrote:
cjdjustride wrote:
ray stuart wrote:
"* Western Isles single malt; tastes of seaweed, steam engines, industrial smoke, iodine, heavily smoked kippers; the most medicinal of single malts

Can't vouch for the medicinal properties but it sure is a damn fine dram."

I wasn't referring to the medicinal properties of Laphroig, just the medicinal TASTE.

I've always enjoyed Laphroaig (a lot). I got my brother a bottle for Christmas a couple of years back and he discreetly mentioned, before the next one, that he'd prefer one of the more mainstream malts? No accounting for taste.
ali_clay
Cat 1 Groupie
Cat 1 Groupie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably should listen to cjdjustride.

1st tackle the swelling, 2nd the injury. The damaged tissue won't heal if there is fluid around it.

Take paracetamol and ibuprofin alternately 3 each per day at regular intervals. The ibuprofin works better with paracetamol to reduce swelling.

Also try some gel as well on the inflamed areas, these aren't neccessarly the same as the pain or injured areas.
First came Monday - rest day, then Tuesday - training, then Wednesday - recovery ride, then Thursday - training race, then Friday - track or recovery ride, Saturday - mystery tour with cafe stop, Sunday - is meant for racing!
cjdjustride
Elite Poster
Elite Poster

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Comparative effect of paracetamol, NSAIDs or their combination in postoperative pain management: a qualitative review.
Hyllested M, Jones S, Pedersen JL, Kehlet H.

Department of Surgical Gastroenterology, Hvidovre University Hospital, Denmark.

Combining NSAID's and Paracetemol may provide enhanced analgesic effects but will have precious little additional effect on inflammation
over NSAID's on their own.
JimmyRay
E, Silver

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I 'did' my soleus back in '99... I was living at home at the time, which is basically at the end of a 500metre private dirt track. When I used to *CENSORED*, I'd drive the old car down teh track adn catch a taxi from the end of our road.

Returning drunk from a night out, I drove the car to vigorously up my track, 'sumped' it, the engine seized adn I had to get out to push the car off the track.

In doing so I slipped and heavily bashed my tib/fib head from behind (where all the tendons and all insert) and it was pretty sore and swollen.

Carried on training however, which was a big mistake as the swelling clearly put a lot of pressure on the soleus and it let go in a big way. I was out for months.

my advise is to avoid doing what I did, give in to the injury and give it what it needs to heal... follow the advice of a good therapist, but the key one for me would be to avoid 'testing' the injury. You mention things that cause pain... stop doing these things and avoid any movement or action you are tempted to do to 'see if it still hurts'
Minoir
Cat 3 Groupie
Cat 3 Groupie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JimmyRay wrote:
follow the advice of a good therapist

Essential advice. Look into physio as well, sometimes even a message can help the healing process. Let professionals deal with your injury. Don't take chances or your meniscus or acl might end up getting damaged.
KJ
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minoir wrote:
JimmyRay wrote:
follow the advice of a good therapist

Essential advice. Look into physio as well, sometimes even a message can help the healing process. Let professionals deal with your injury. Don't take chances or your meniscus or acl might end up getting damaged.

What sort of message would work.

'Hi I hope you feel better soon'.? Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Health & Fitness All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: