Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk :: View topic - Commentary comparison

Home FAQ Register Usergroups Search Memberlist Gallery StatisticsForum Sponsors •  Photo RequestProfile • Links Log in to check your private messagesLog inBC Eastmidlands

Commentary comparison

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Le Tour
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Killer C
E, Silver

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 2:58 pm    Post subject: Commentary comparison Reply with quote

I watched the Grand Prix today and it struck me the difference in styles between Harmon/Kell/Kirby and Blundel (Brundle?)/Coulthard.

The big difference to me is that there is quite a comaraderie between H/K/K and absolutely none between B/C.

Brundel just picks wholes in how Coulthard pronounces Vettel, quote "Vettel with one L". He comes across as quite a bitter person.

By comparison H/K/K appear very respectful of one another and have got the balance between banter, humour and action just about right. Some of the Kirby stuff just makes me laugh.

Once again an excellent all round performance by the Eurosport International team. Thanks chaps.
De Rosa
World Champ

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1. Great commentary. Plus when the stage finishes I then switched over to ITV 4 where they do good interviews
Scruffy Dog
Cat 2 Groupie
Cat 2 Groupie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Commentary comparison Reply with quote

Killer C wrote:
I watched the Grand Prix today and it struck me the difference in styles between Harmon/Kell/Kirby and Blundel (Brundle?)/Coulthard.

The big difference to me is that there is quite a comaraderie between H/K/K and absolutely none between B/C.

Brundel just picks wholes in how Coulthard pronounces Vettel, quote "Vettel with one L". He comes across as quite a bitter person.

By comparison H/K/K appear very respectful of one another and have got the balance between banter, humour and action just about right. Some of the Kirby stuff just makes me laugh.

Once again an excellent all round performance by the Eurosport International team. Thanks chaps.

According to a Dutch guest here yesterday, Vettel is pronounced Vettel not Vet-ell.
Neil_A_S
E, Bronze

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never noticed Kelly joining in with the Harmon/kirby banter, he seems to go silent.
Killer C
E, Silver

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neil_A_S wrote:
I've never noticed Kelly joining in with the Harmon/kirby banter, he seems to go silent.

He does sometimes. It's very subtle.
blimpyboy
E, Silver

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Brundle and Coulthard are good friends. Brundle actually worked as Coulthard's manager for a few years.

IMHO the little digs at each other are a friendly rivalry from the days when they used to race each other, two competitive ex F1 drivers in a commentary box, always going to be a little spark! Great commentary team, again IMHO.

Agree that the Eurosport commentary team was as excellent as always.

Some muppet tweeted that Harmon was an "apologist for dopers". Has that person ever heard him commentate when a doper wins? You can plainly hear the disappointment and frustration in his voice. He has to walk a line between saying "FFS" and giving an informative and entertaining description of events, I think he does it very well.
Hans Datdodishes
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't listen to the ITV4 mongers once this tour. I think a CTC bloke and a has-been journeyman 'pro' who made Steve Barnsley look good just don't cut it any more.
Well done Eurosport

I'm a qualified coach.
DenHaag
E, Gold

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harmon occasionally talks absolute bollox. On the whole though, it's pretty good. ITV 4 is just complete bollox.
Killer C
E, Silver

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hans Datdodishes wrote:
I didn't listen to the ITV4 mongers once this tour. I think a CTC bloke and a has-been journeyman 'pro' who made Steve Barnsley look good just don't cut it any more.
Well done Eurosport

Who is the journeyman 'pro'?
mho
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Killer C wrote:
Hans Datdodishes wrote:
Well done Eurosport

I think he's trying to say Liggett is involved with the CTC and Sherwen was a journeyman pro. Mind I'd like to have 15th in Paris-Roubaix and 11th in Milan San Remo on my cycling CV.
Big_n_daft
Cat 2 Groupie
Cat 2 Groupie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Liggett and Sherwin are well past their sell by dates, come out with over hyped dross and repeat their catch phrases ad-nauseum. Liggett says something and Sherwin just repeats it "suitcase of courage!" "job of work" wtf are they on?

Imlach, Boulting and Boardman save the show for ITV4

they just need to be merged with the Eurosport commentary team for brilliant coverage, commentary and analysis
Hans Datdodishes
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mho wrote:
Killer C wrote:
Hans Datdodishes wrote:
Well done Eurosport

I think he's trying to say Liggett is involved with the CTC and Sherwen was a journeyman pro. Mind I'd like to have 15th in Paris-Roubaix and 11th in Milan San Remo on my cycling CV.

I can answer for myself thanks, you pube

I'm a qualified coach.
Roy Gardiner
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hans Datdodishes wrote:
mho wrote:
Killer C wrote:
Hans Datdodishes wrote:
Well done Eurosport
I can answer for myself thanks
That's why he said 'I think' at the beginning.

And no name-calling, please.

"Everything in war is simple, but the simplest thing is difficult." Carl Von Clausewitz
Hans Datdodishes
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roy Gardiner wrote:
Hans Datdodishes wrote:
mho wrote:
Killer C wrote:
Hans Datdodishes wrote:
Well done Eurosport
I can answer for myself thanks
That's why he said 'I think' at the beginning.

And no name-calling, please.

But he is a pube

I'm a qualified coach.
Billy Boy
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big_n_daft wrote:
Liggett and Sherwin are well past their sell by dates, come out with over hyped dross and repeat their catch phrases ad-nauseum. Liggett says something and Sherwin just repeats it "suitcase of courage!" "job of work" wtf are they on?

they just need to be merged with the Eurosport commentary team for brilliant coverage, commentary and analysis

All well and good but Liggett and Sherwen are the best double act, they're right up there with Cannon and Ball in my book.

"Eating is not for wimps" - coal miner

"most of us don't have your brilliance." - John McC
Hans Datdodishes
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy Boy wrote:
Big_n_daft wrote:

All well and good but Liggett and Sherwen are the best double act, they're right up there with Cannon and Ball in my book.

Yeah but your book is a pop-up with three words per page

I'm a qualified coach.
Billy Boy
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hans Datdodishes wrote:
Billy Boy wrote:
Big_n_daft wrote:

Yeah but your book is a pop-up with three words per page

Don't let the big heads of state hear you say that

"Eating is not for wimps" - coal miner

"most of us don't have your brilliance." - John McC
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Le Tour All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: