Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk :: View topic - Professional bike fitting

Home FAQ Register Usergroups Search Memberlist Gallery StatisticsForum Sponsors •  Photo RequestProfile • Links Log in to check your private messagesLog inBC Eastmidlands

Professional bike fitting

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Health & Fitness
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gains
E, Bronze

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:19 am    Post subject: Professional bike fitting Reply with quote

Anyone had one, and if so what did you reckon?

I can't say I've got any reason to question the fit of my bike as it is, but who knows...maybe a few minor tweaks would suddenly unleash another 200W of FTP and instantly catapult me into the ranks of the cycling elite. Maybe.
Ed2001
E, Silver

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless you are having problems on your bike I personally wouldn't bother. I had one last year and it was very thorough but in the end they changed virtually nothing apart from moving my seat back a few mm.
ali_clay
Cat 1 Groupie
Cat 1 Groupie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

was thinking about this the other day. Unless you're prepared to buy new bits to suit the optimum then what can they change? Saddle height, saddle position, handlebar height and cleats. I could see a benefit for tt though
First came Monday - rest day, then Tuesday - training, then Wednesday - recovery ride, then Thursday - training race, then Friday - track or recovery ride, Saturday - mystery tour with cafe stop, Sunday - is meant for racing!
Chrissylaa
E, Gold

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ali_clay wrote:
was thinking about this the other day. Unless you're prepared to buy new bits to suit the optimum then what can they change? Saddle height, saddle position, handlebar height and cleats. I could see a benefit for tt though

Winter time is the time to improve style/aerodynamics etc.

Riding on a turbo will probably let you know if your position is uncomfortable.

I reckon if you could improve your aerodynamics(Ali) you would batter most of your peers after seeing your power figures.
Gains
E, Bronze

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Despite me being happy with my position on the bike, I ended up going to see Adrian Timmis @ Cadence Sport for a fitting back in August just to make sure.

I'm really glad that I did, as he made some big adjustments to saddle height, saddle setback and the position of the bars as well as tweaking cleat position slightly.
6 weeks on and it's made a big difference not only to comfort on the bike, but also to my power figures. I won't be doing my next FTP test until the end of October but judging by the ride data I've seen so far, it's looking like it'll be up by almost 15% Very Happy
JONNO
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ali_clay wrote:

So apart from maybe a new stem and a couple of spacers what else would you need to buy as the rest is adjustable? I am of course assuming that your frame will be the correct size - ie S,M,or L, as seems to be the fashion these days.
I was being chased by a police dog last week, and made the mistake of trying to escape through a little tunnel, over a see-saw and through a hoop of fire. It finally caught me as I was weaving in and out of some sticks.
bushman
E, Silver

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shape and reach of handlebars can make a big difference. People fret over 10mm either way on stem length or 5mm of spacer under the stem but forget that the reach to the hoods can vary by 20-30mm with a different shape bar. Crank length can be a factor though in reality the range available does not match the range of riders so less scope for change here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Health & Fitness All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: