Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk :: View topic - Knee problem??

Home FAQ Register Usergroups Search Memberlist Gallery StatisticsForum Sponsors •  Photo RequestProfile • Links Log in to check your private messagesLog inBC Eastmidlands

Knee problem??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Health & Fitness
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bikeit
Elite Poster
Elite Poster

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:05 pm    Post subject: Knee problem?? Reply with quote

I have been having knee pain this past few weeks, but nothing to keep me from cycling, play 5 a side football and going to work.
But last night after a game of football the knee pain got so bad i could not go to work today, so i went to see the doctor who informed me that he is almost certain that i have torn the cartilage, he sent me for an xray and has also arranged for me to have an MIR scan,
what i would like to know is there anyway that i can strap the knee or buy some sort of support to ease the pain so i can return to work?
DenHaag
E, Gold

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Knee problem?? Reply with quote

bikeit wrote:

what i would like to know is there anyway that i can strap the knee or buy some sort of support to ease the pain so i can return to work?

Well what did the doc say? Sounds like he's taking it seriously, he must have had a thought on whether you're fit to go to work or not. Can you do your job sitting down?
bikeit
Elite Poster
Elite Poster

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When i asked the Doc about getting some type of strapping / support so i could return to work he said speak to a Physio who deals with sports injuries and KT strapping.
I really don't have a spare £45 to go to a physio.
I am on my feet all day at work.
Roy Gardiner
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suggest that you have this fully investigated as soon as possible. Don't let it go, even if the pain diminishes.

"Everything in war is simple, but the simplest thing is difficult." Carl Von Clausewitz
bikeit
Elite Poster
Elite Poster

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i went to a physio on Wednesday and she is almost certain that i have not torn the cartilage but i have torn the medial ligament on the inside of the knee, she done a lot of twisting and turning of my leg and knee and said that if i had cartilage damage i would not have been able to let her do that as the pain would be too much, so she done some light massage work and ultrasound,
she also told me to keep icing it and gave me some light exercises to do at home, she did not recommend strapping the knee or using a support as she felt this would slow down the recovery process, there is more movement in the knee now and i have to return to the physio on Tuesday, fingers crossed, football days are certainly over will stick to the bike.
Roy Gardiner
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please, go to your quack and get referred for X-ray and MRI. Then you should know what's wrong. And in either case you may need corrective surgery.

"Everything in war is simple, but the simplest thing is difficult." Carl Von Clausewitz
bikeit
Elite Poster
Elite Poster

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did go to the quack, he sent me for an xray but the results wont be back for four weeks, he will decide after that if he is going to send me for an MIR scan
bikeit
Elite Poster
Elite Poster

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update
Doc rang me yesterday to go in for a chat about the xrays, there is a v small tear in the cartilage and bits of arthritis, so he has arranged for me to go for an MIR scan, still attending the physio as well she has upped my exercises and the stiffness is not as bad.
special guest star
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bikeit wrote:
Update
Doc rang me yesterday to go in for a chat about the xrays, there is a v small tear in the cartilage and bits of arthritis, so he has arranged for me to go for an MIR scan, still attending the physio as well she has upped my exercises and the stiffness is not as bad.

sounds like a good doc - stick with him!!
Chrissylaa
E, Gold

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bikeit wrote:
Update

I think all cyclists get knee problems at some stage but you're going about it in the right way and you will be ok in due course.
bikeit
Elite Poster
Elite Poster

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update:
I went to see the surgeon last week who also *CENSORED* in sports injury's and he informed me that there was a very small tear to the cartilage but he felt the tear was not sufficient enough to operate,
so he give me a cortisone injection to try and get rid of the pain and also advised me to take up cycling as he said cycling was very good for anyone who had knee problems.
so i told him i had been cycling for the past 15 years or so he said that i might need my bike set up looked at, so as money is very tight at the moment i done a lot of online reading and after i digested all the information i moved my seat-post up a few millimeters
So after nine weeks off the bike i returned this morning and went out for a leisurely 25 miles, back home now about three hours and no pain what so ever so i will gradually build back up to where i was before the injury in the coming months before i rejoin my cycling buddies as there is nothing leisurely when we are out on the bikes.
brinter
Cat 3 Groupie
Cat 3 Groupie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good luck with it. I hope you used the summer to come back to your state!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Health & Fitness All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: