Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk :: View topic - David Millar Appeal

Home FAQ Register Usergroups Search Memberlist Gallery StatisticsForum Sponsors •  Photo RequestProfile • Links Log in to check your private messagesLog inBC Eastmidlands

David Millar Appeal
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Polls
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should David Millar have his ban reduced?
Yes - Date of ban brought foward
28%
 28%  [ 24 ]
Yes - Reduced in time
10%
 10%  [ 9 ]
No - No change to original ban
61%
 61%  [ 52 ]
Total Votes : 85

Old git
Cat 3 Groupie
Cat 3 Groupie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 8:45 pm    Post subject: simpletons Reply with quote

He got caught!! From big money to no money - tough. Rolling Eyes
Mossy
E, Silver

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see in the comic that BC are going to spend around £16 000 fighting his appeal. I pressume that is money that could otherwise be spent on members benefits, or race promotion and stuff. He cheated and a 2yr ban is very light IMO, he should just accept it and get a proper job.
rghit pclae.
Brian Cookson
E, Silver

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Point of information.

When BC is the governing body that imposes a sanction on a rider, then it inevitably follows that when that rider appeals to the CAS (Court for Arbitration in Sport), we have to explain our side of the case, why the rider was given the sanction he was given and so on. That has to be done in a certain way, and that requires appropriate legal advice and representation to ensure it is done properly. Hence the likely cost mentioned in this case.

On behalf of its members, BC engages legal representation and seeks advice on all sorts of matters on a regular basis. This is a symptom of the modern world, and part of the unavoidable duties of being a responsible national governing body.

Brian.
AndyB
E, Gold

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian Cookson wrote:
Point of information.

When BC is the governing body that imposes a sanction on a rider, then it inevitably follows that when that rider appeals to the CAS (Court for Arbitration in Sport), we have to explain our side of the case, why the rider was given the sanction he was given and so on. That has to be done in a certain way, and that requires appropriate legal advice and representation to ensure it is done properly. Hence the likely cost mentioned in this case.

On behalf of its members, BC engages legal representation and seeks advice on all sorts of matters on a regular basis. This is a symptom of the modern world, and part of the unavoidable duties of being a responsible national governing body.

Brian.

why is it though, alot of members of BC staff are supporting Millar! Not mentioning any names (and wont do either - even the whips and chains wont help), but there does seem to be a large amount of people that are taking the "he was under pressure stance, his sentence should be reduced, blah blah blah. etc etc etc Shouldnt those kind of people, who are in effect condoning his actions, be removed from an anti-doping governing body ? I know it may seem draconian, but surely he should be told to go and fornicate with himself and never darken the steps of british cycling again - maybe, just maybe he might learn not to lie and cheat ?
Brian Cookson
E, Silver

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I'm sure you will understand that it is not appropriate for me to comment on this case whilst the appeal is in progress.
Mossy
E, Silver

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian Cookson wrote:
Point of information.

Brian.

I agree, it was millar I was having a go at. knowing that BC'c costs come from it's members he should either shut up and serve his ban or, if he thinks it's worth while financialy to try and get the sentance reduced, make it clear he will pay BC cost's no matter what the outcome.

does anyone know if there is any chance of of BC being awarded cost's?

I think this highlights that professional sport should be separated from the grass roots, then the ruleing body for the pros can be paid for by the pro's.
rghit pclae.
dockeca
Div 2 Pro

Location: halfway up the South Downs - or halfway down the South Ups!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wise words from Brian Cookson. Whilst i do not condone what the allegations are, it is Miller's RIGHT to appeal to CAS. It is also BC's job to defend their position in the court. However, if the court find against DM, will he be required to pay BC's costs? That's how it seems to work in normal civil law. Or if they find partly for DM (shift the dates back to offence not confession), does each sidepay for themselves?
I think we should be told - can't see how this could affect any sub-judice issues - but some of the money BC have to spend on legal matters comes from us, the members.
I think we should be told.

"Any views expressed are entirely my own and not representative of any organisation of which I may or may not be a member. Unless I say otherwise."
"A Libertarian Crackpot" H.Peel
kylie
World Champ

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also a BC member but feel that this is just one of those things. BC can publish accounts after the event but can't see a need to know in advance. Millar will have to justify his appeal to himself, I am sure that from his point of view it is very important to get back out there again and he is quite within his rights to appeal. Not condoning his actions, it is a shame he hasn't been more out in the open but who knows what we would do in that position.

http://www.lupusuk.com/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Polls All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: