Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk :: View topic - Should I ride the national hill climb?

Home FAQ Register Usergroups Search Memberlist Gallery StatisticsForum Sponsors •  Photo RequestProfile • Links Log in to check your private messagesLog inBC Eastmidlands

Should I ride the national hill climb?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Polls
View previous topic :: View next topic  

should i ridwe nat HC?
yes
26%
 26%  [ 6 ]
no
73%
 73%  [ 17 ]
Total Votes : 23

Pierre Head
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jk_bike wrote:
Pierre Head wrote:
jk_bike wrote:
i dont think its gonna set me back weeks as its only about 900metres

Pack the season in now and recover. There's plenty of time before next season.
I'm not advising you here, I'm telling you. Don't even go near the Rake unless you are in tip-top condition. I used to live near there and have been up it hundreds of times. It not only hurts your legs with lactic, it tears your lungs to pieces as well.

whatever iv got it doesnt show many signs of leaving but if i stop training im just going to get less and less fit. but i aint going to do the nat HC. i think that 'the rake' is a bit overrated tho. what is its average gradient? i ride a lot in mid wales and there quite a few 900 metre hills up tiny lanes to farms n stuff there that are 20% average. what makes it so special? :S

Cobbles, oxygen cylinders everwhere, and so called climbers and trackmen having their Dugast tubs shredded by the flints between the cobbles. I know how to ride it, and with what tyres and pressures. Go a few days early and suss it out. If you are on the meat 2.45 might get you somewhere.
Matt Clinton
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pierre Head wrote:
jk_bike wrote:
Pierre Head wrote:
jk_bike wrote:

I'm not advising you here, I'm telling you. Don't even go near the Rake unless you are in tip-top condition. I used to live near there and have been up it hundreds of times. It not only hurts your legs with lactic, it tears your lungs to pieces as well.

whatever iv got it doesnt show many signs of leaving but if i stop training im just going to get less and less fit. but i aint going to do the nat HC. i think that 'the rake' is a bit overrated tho. what is its average gradient? i ride a lot in mid wales and there quite a few 900 metre hills up tiny lanes to farms n stuff there that are 20% average. what makes it so special? :S

Cobbles, oxygen cylinders everwhere, and so called climbers and trackmen having their Dugast tubs shredded by the flints between the cobbles. I know how to ride it, and with what tyres and pressures. Go a few days early and suss it out. If you are on the meat 2.45 might get you somewhere.

Is a few hours ok? I dont really have time between now and Sunday to check it out! Rolling Eyes

Avatar by Techno (http://techno.smugmug.com)
BigRobJef
E, Silver

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes ride it.
cakeathon
E, Silver

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yer ride it, stop being soft.

A good hacking cough, sore throat, and aching joints are a sign that youre coming into some good form.

"what are you talking about !" - Edna Mode
Pierre Head
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matclinton wrote:
Pierre Head wrote:
jk_bike wrote:
Pierre Head wrote:
jk_bike wrote:

Is a few hours ok? I dont really have time between now and Sunday to check it out! Rolling Eyes

The only reason you might go early is to book a table in the Pub.
hellosunshine
Cat 4 Groupie
Cat 4 Groupie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

give it a go!

i am...broke me arm and collar bone 8 weeks ago and still cant put me elbow in me ear.......thought the rake might kill or cure.ignorance is bliss
Gary K
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JK - if you are asking on here then there is enough doubt in your mind telling you not to ride.

Riding something like this isn't a walk in the park.

The crowds are enormous and closed right in on you as it is quite narrow and high sided on the right, from what I remember.

You'll not ride it easy. You'll get carried away, like everyone else, and go 100% eyeballs out.

You'll do more damage than good, trust me.

The last National on it, I rode and needed oxygen at the top to stop me passing out and I came only half way up the field but still gave it 100%!!! Shocked
bissell
E, Bronze

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellosunshine wrote:
give it a go!

i am...broke me arm and collar bone 8 weeks ago and still cant put me elbow in me ear.......thought the rake might kill or cure.ignorance is bliss

blimey ive never broke my collarbone and still cant put me elbow in me ear Shocked dont think im gonna ride now Laughing
Coggy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I drove to Ramsbottom to walk up the rake once. It isn't as steep as some hills, but is relentless from start to finish. As you are light and strong you should do well, you will have an excellent power-to-weight ratio. But if you have, or recently had, a viral infection, don't ride it.
(btw I voted for you to ride before I read about your illness).
skinnylegs05
Cat 2 Groupie
Cat 2 Groupie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i agree... its relentless until you hit the flat bit in the middle Confused
TW@

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As its Jack - douse yourself in cold water, then ride it. And start smoking. Do it.

Haven't seen you down the West Bromwich LAGS for a while, have you gone off us?
Rich Hill
Tour Winner

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great ride in Belgium.... but I think you would be one dumb boy to ride the National HC...

HC's are one of the most intensive events you can ride - doing so ill is not going to make you ANY better...

Insist on getting to the bottom of what is wrong -however frustrating you find it... get another opinion - research it yourself (use t'internet for reference)

Get that sorted first and worry about a poxy HC for the future - when you are well..

Thrillster.
duffy
Cat 1 Groupie
Cat 1 Groupie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

probably not worth it and from personal experience its so fine cut to perform 100 - 95%
Rolling Eyes
PNuT

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GO GO GO

http://www.pedalrevolution.co.uk
TW@

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WBLAGS say Go Jack Very Happy
legro

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PNuT wrote:
GO GO GO

....... GO GO go go go slowing slowing stop

Fear leads to anger....Anger leads to Stress......Stress leads to Doobies...and Doobies leads to Twinkies

The spirit of Brian must live on
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Matt Clinton
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plonker! Rolling Eyes

Avatar by Techno (http://techno.smugmug.com)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Polls All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: