Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk :: View topic - BC: members organisation or governing body?

Home FAQ Register Usergroups Search Memberlist Gallery StatisticsForum Sponsors •  Photo RequestProfile • Links Log in to check your private messagesLog inBC Eastmidlands

BC: members organisation or governing body?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Polls
View previous topic :: View next topic  

BC: members organisation or governing body?
Members organisation
21%
 21%  [ 5 ]
Governing body
26%
 26%  [ 6 ]
Both
52%
 52%  [ 12 ]
Total Votes : 23

Big 'n Daft
E, Silver

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 8:26 am    Post subject: BC: members organisation or governing body? Reply with quote

I ask because the Eastway relocation seems to be a dodgy to me. The only statement I can find on the website is

Dave Cockram, National Facilities Officer for British Cycling, the internationally recognized governing body for cycling in Great Britain, said: ?We are delighted to support the London Development Agency?s proposal of Rammey Marsh as the temporary home of the Eastway Cycle Circuit. British Cycling is currently looking at the option of maintaining the Rammey Marsh cycling facility permanently, in addition to the Eastway circuit when it is reinstated after the Games.?

However I have yet to hear anything from a gras roots BC member that says they are "delighted" with the Rammey Marsh proposal.

My understanding is that my/ your BC membership subs go to fund people like Dave Cockram so why is there a cloak of secrecy over why Rammy Marsh is so great? (if something is on the website please point it out to me) and the alternative so impractical? Or is there some form of "done deal" because of the new velodrome?

Why is there nothing on the BC subs funded website to keep us in touch with BC thinking.

I only race at Eastway once a year but its a great facility, you will never see me at Rammy Marsh and I can see an opportunity being missed due to agendas that are not being shown to the members.

Hence my question BC: members organisation or governing body?
Rich Hill
Tour Winner

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't comment in more depth but I would say more Gov body than membership org.

Rich
Hans Datdodishes
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be fair to BC and Dave Cockram, as a non-land owner BC are unfortunately in a position of little/no legal power when it comes to facilities, and have to rely on the effective goodwill etc of the facility owners.
In some circumstances BC might feel it prudent not to comment on developments until all the legals have been sorted out?
IainW
E, Silver

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Considering the big picture it's not just Eastway that is at stake. The Olympic Games and the development of that area will have many groups of people wanting to have their say in what is happening there, Dave, representing us, is just one of them. It will most probably end up with something not perfect but a compromise. The main priority is the Olympics and having the facilities completed on time. There'll come a time when the talking has to stop and a spade goes in the ground. It's a go-live date that cannot be moved. Everything else will have to fit in with that.

Sometimes you just have to trust people and beleive what they're doing is for the best.

I'd say governing body, but it listens to and looks after the best interests of the membership.
Hans Datdodishes
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And slightly off-topic, we lost a lot of facilities thanks to the lack of a dedicated BC official - Harvey Hadden track being a scandalous example of total incompetence. Since Davids appointment I've seen a lot more good being done with the upgrading/saving of facilities.
Richard Kennedy
Div 3 Pro

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've added a 3rd option to the poll, as I think it's both a membership organisation AND a governing body!
Laughing RK
IainW
E, Silver

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard Kennedy wrote:
I've added a 3rd option to the poll, as I think it's both a membership organisation AND a governing body!
Laughing RK

Can I change my vote?
Big 'n Daft
E, Silver

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to say that I am not directly critising David, the problem is that the BC seems to want to cherry pick what it is. I therefore am looking at the organisational culture which seems to be disfunctional

For example:

to be able to input into the debate on coaching the line seems to be that if you are not a BC member you can not contribute

For Eastway it seems to be BC are the governing body and know best

cyclists are an awkward bunch to represent at the best of times but BC seem to have a wider "sport politics" agenda that might not fit with members views/ desires
KJ
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big 'n Daft wrote:
I have to say that I am not directly critising David, the problem is that the BC seems to want to cherry pick what it is. I therefore am looking at the organisational culture which seems to be disfunctional

For example:

to be able to input into the debate on coaching the line seems to be that if you are not a BC member you can not contribute

For Eastway it seems to be BC are the governing body and know best

cyclists are an awkward bunch to represent at the best of times but BC seem to have a wider "sport politics" agenda that might not fit with members views/ desires

Which can be expressed through a number of channels. Through club/region representation or direct contact via e mail, letter or phone. I've never known BC over the last 25 years or so of quite radical change in the sport not reply to a query of mine, and I've asked a lot of questions in that time. I do think a point came some years ago where the day to day running of the sport necessitated a more business like management that was proactive rather than reactive.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Polls All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: