Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk :: View topic - Can anyone give a toss for procycling any more?

Home FAQ Register Usergroups Search Memberlist Gallery StatisticsForum Sponsors •  Photo RequestProfile • Links Log in to check your private messagesLog inBC Eastmidlands

Can anyone give a toss for procycling any more?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Polls
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Following on from today's annoucement can any of us be bother to care about the pro scene any more?
N0 - irrelvent sport full of cheating gits
28%
 28%  [ 22 ]
Yes - its only entertainment like world wrestling
32%
 32%  [ 25 ]
It deserves yet another chance
39%
 39%  [ 31 ]
Total Votes : 78

Steve T
Cat 2 Groupie
Cat 2 Groupie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hed wrote:
its still the greatest sport on earth.

tehre are doped footballers, athletes, boxers, even snooker players *CENSORED*, its a fact of life within proffesional sport and needs to just be accepted without being condoned.

Agreed. The comparisin to WWF is a bit false as, even if the players are pumped up steroid guzzlers, becasue with cycling the outcome of a race isn't determined in the changing room beforehand.

We should remember that most, and occasionally maybe even all, of the dopers lose in every bike race we see.

Steve.
Des

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve T wrote:
hed wrote:

tehre are doped footballers, athletes, boxers, even snooker players *CENSORED*, its a fact of life within proffesional sport and needs to just be accepted without being condoned.

Agreed. The comparisin to WWF is a bit false as, even if the players are pumped up steroid guzzlers, becasue with cycling the outcome of a race isn't determined in the changing room beforehand.

We should remember that most, and occasionally maybe even all, of the dopers lose in every bike race we see.

Never seen a post tour crit then Confused
Steve T
Cat 2 Groupie
Cat 2 Groupie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Des wrote:
Steve T wrote:
hed wrote:

Ahh, good point. Embarassed Perhaps I should have been more specific and said Pro Tour/ major stage races etc. Wink

Steve.
Zontor the Destroyer
E, Bronze

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are all die hard cycling enthusiasts,

however the tv companies that have now ditched covering the tour,

the sponsors who wont want to be involved,

the general public who want to see sports stars, and not be let down by their sporting heros,

just wont bother.

This years tour had record low roadside spectators anyway after ullrich and basso farse, then this
scoobydoo
Div 3 Pro

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another year another set of doping scandals if you are gonna get to the point where you doubt all pro riders then maybe give it a break for a bit.

But ther are still races out there worth watching womens racing can be just as fun to watch and the fact is as a cycling addict myself don't think this will change anything for me as long as cheats are found out and dealt with. the sport for me will always be interesting and fun.

Yes it is disapointing when *CENSORED* cheats are found but it's been in the sport since before i was born. Just keep giving my support to my favorite sport.
Bob J
E, Silver

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Des wrote:
Steve T wrote:
hed wrote:

Yep, seen loads and the crowds love 'em to bits, and thats all that matters to them, couldn't give a hoot whether it's a fixer or not, it's a chance to see the legends and have a good pi$$ up Wink
Rich Hill
Tour Winner

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i must admit it is getting tedious
John Saysell
Cat 1 Groupie
Cat 1 Groupie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder what this latest series of scandals will do to the British watching public when Le Tour comes here next year.
Dave Wilkes
E, Gold

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Saysell wrote:
I wonder what this latest series of scandals will do to the British watching public when Le Tour comes here next year.

Read todays mail - it doesn't matter whether Landis did or didn't take performance enhancing *CENSORED* as the perception of 'all cyclists take *CENSORED*' has been reinforced by his failed test.
He can claim it was 'naturally high' till the cows come home. The trouble is that he has damaged the sport far more than any other because he won the Tour in a manner that was too good to be believed.

The cynical report today is understandable but it goes deeper than that. ALL cyclists are now going to be tarnished and any competitor that does a good ride will be questioned and any denials treated with contempt. It's a deep hole that the sport will find difficult to get out of.
bonger

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That' the view i thought most people had before Landis failed.
One can't blame him if he did cheat, he had everything to gain and nothing much to lose.
ajay
E, Silver

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still fo the opinion that top-level cycling isn't any more affected than top level athletics, I think that pretty soon the public won't trust any sport. I don't.
E, Silver

Location: Hanging on to Dudley Busser Halfway between Hell and back!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Report in todays Sports section of The Guardian quotes UK Sport as saying that there was no case to answer in 30 of the 45 adverse findings for testosterone in the past five years. Remove weightlifting and powerlifting and there was no case to answer in 24 out of 28 initial findings.

Last Sunday two major sports events finished, one had relatively low prize money and the other, the Golf, had major prize money, one was tested before and throughout the event and the other no tests. A report in the Independent quoted results of testing in Golf events in France, where all sports are subject to testing by law, that over 13% of those tested provided positive samples, thats roughly equivalent to 26 riders testing positive in The Tour.
Cycling gets a poor reputation for going after the dopers while other sports are alright because they do not test as they do not have a problem. Who is kidding who?
sloathe
E, Gold

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What kind of *CENSORED* to they take in Golf?
Amphetamines to keep them awake? Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Polls All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: