Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk :: View topic - BBC Sports Personality of the Year

Home FAQ Register Usergroups Search Memberlist Gallery StatisticsForum Sponsors •  Photo RequestProfile • Links Log in to check your private messagesLog inBC Eastmidlands

BBC Sports Personality of the Year
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Polls
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who do you think will win this year?
1. Andy Murray
8%
 8%  [ 5 ]
2. Monty Panasar
13%
 13%  [ 8 ]
3. David Walliams
6%
 6%  [ 4 ]
4. Tony Bell
34%
 34%  [ 20 ]
5. Someone else
25%
 25%  [ 15 ]
6. Des
10%
 10%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 58

Lillywhite
E, Silver

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 2:53 pm    Post subject: BBC Sports Personality of the Year Reply with quote

Just a bit of fun.

Note to moderators. Would you please move to Non Cycling topics.

Last edited by Lillywhite on Mon Aug 14, 2006 2:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Richard
World Champ

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David Walliams should win it but it'll be Beckham with the sympathy vote (aaahhh weren't he a good cap'n fer In-Ger-Land?)
Billynobrakes
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard wrote:
David Walliams should win it but it'll be Beckham with the sympathy vote (aaahhh weren't he a good cap'n fer In-Ger-Land?)

If he's allowed into the voting - David Walliams will win it hands down.
Hans Datdodishes
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Des, for knocking PNuT off

I'm a qualified coach.
Badger
E, Gold

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Walliams unfortunately. Great achievement but swimming the channel is not sport is it? You may as well give it to someone doing a sponsored walk. And I bet there are other poeple who have done it this year as well. Will they be recognised?
Lillywhite
E, Silver

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand that both Panasar and Walliams have been reported as early front runners with the bookies for this award. It was a hell of an achievement by Walliams but Monty has a lot of support which will grow if he is successful in the early Ashes matches in Australia this November.

Unfortunately, cycling is a minority sport so I think our hero, Tony, will struggle for national support. Wink
Richard
World Champ

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Badger wrote:
Walliams unfortunately. Great achievement but swimming the channel is not sport is it? You may as well give it to someone doing a sponsored walk. And I bet there are other poeple who have done it this year as well. Will they be recognised?

Less people have swum the Channel than have climbed to the top of Everest - it took him 10hrs *CENSORED*!
What he did is fairly hard-core, it's just that because he's a comedian people haven't taken what he's done seriously.
He retorted to Sean Lock's p1ss taking on 8 out of 10 cats on Channel 4 recently with "is what I'm doing making you feel less of a man?"
Lillywhite
E, Silver

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard wrote:

Less people have swum the Channel than have climbed to the top of Everest - it took him 10hrs *CENSORED*!
What he did is fairly hard-core, it's just that because he's a comedian people haven't taken what he's done seriously.

His time is in the top 50 ever recorded. I don't see how he won't be allowed in the voting. They only do the final short-list of 5-6 nearer the time based on who at that date has received the most votes and he is now well known to most people who watch television.
mr celery
Div 2 Pro

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's just not cricket though, is it? Or sport, for that matter. It was a sponsored swim extraordinaire, nothing more, nothing less.
Badger
E, Gold

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lillywhite wrote:
Richard wrote:

His time is in the top 50 ever recorded. I don't see how he won't be allowed in the voting. They only do the final short-list of 5-6 nearer the time based on who at that date has received the most votes and he is now well known to most people who watch television.

I'm not disputing the scale of his achievement but it's not sport is it. It's a feat of endurance.
Des

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Badger wrote:
Lillywhite wrote:
Richard wrote:

I'm not disputing the scale of his achievement but it's not sport is it. It's a feat of endurance.

Couldn't the same be siad of several cycling events Question
rothers
E, Gold

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still hate the fact that personality and beckham are used in the same sentence.
Lillywhite
E, Silver

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rothers wrote:
I still hate the fact that personality and beckham are used in the same sentence.

That'why I didn't include him in the named options. Wink

I see that Des has used his moderating powers to include himself. Laughing
Rob of the Og
E, Gold

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Badger wrote:
Lillywhite wrote:
Richard wrote:

Walliams will probably have inspired more people than any other sports person in the UK this year. He's not a professional athlete, he looks like a normal guy down the pub, yet has performed an amazing sporting feat, who knows how many people that has made think 'if he can do that, maybe I can [swim a few lengths of the pool]/[jog around the block]/[cycle into work occasionally]/[join the pub football team]' He would be a worthy winner.

But, if we're going to give it to someone for outstanding performance at the elite level of international sport, then the UK only has one person that qualifies, and her father is a member of this very messageboard.
Lillywhite
E, Silver

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Badger wrote:

Of course it's sport. It's not a pastime.

The rules for cross channel swimming attempts are strictly monitored. No wet suits, feeding while holding the boat etc........
van eijden
E, Silver

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Badger wrote:
Lillywhite wrote:
Richard wrote:

So is Gethins end to end not sport, or wilko's 24hr record..............
Billy Boy
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone actually give a t0ss?

"Eating is not for wimps" - coal miner

"most of us don't have your brilliance." - John McC
Richard
World Champ

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy Boy wrote:
Does anyone actually give a t0ss?

pass the pies Wink
Turismo
E, Silver

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't Nicole in it? Christ, the BBC hates us.
Pierre Head
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jensen Button won an F1 race.
Floyd Landis for overseas Sports Personality of the year( because he says he's not guilty)
And de Rosa for the Helen Rollason award for stupidity in doing L'etape off 1500 miles.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Polls All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: