Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk :: View topic - How about this for a carbon frame!?

Home FAQ Register Usergroups Search Memberlist Gallery StatisticsForum Sponsors •  Photo RequestProfile • Links Log in to check your private messagesLog inBC Eastmidlands

How about this for a carbon frame!?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Technical
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What do you think??
Interested, i'll pm/email you for more info.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Naa...
100%
 100%  [ 11 ]
Total Votes : 11

dan.cave
Cat 1 Groupie
Cat 1 Groupie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 6:45 pm    Post subject: How about this for a carbon frame!? Reply with quote

Hi All.

Before anyone gets the wrong idea, im not a trader, or in the trade per-se.

I've a good friend who works in Taiwan who's offered me a couple of carbon monocoque frames, like this one. (they're not stolen or dodgy either)

I'm expecting to get one before xmas, and he's said, if i want any more then he'll be able to do me a good deal on a few more, for around £600 frame, forks and headset (integrated, monocoque, and all standard fittings.. UK/European specs and postage to uk/europe) They in 49,52,55,58 c-top, horizontal geometry, so if you think they look *CENSORED* and it sounds like your thing, drop me an email so I can guage if it's worth getting a few more.

I'm gonna be putting campag centaur on mine Very Happy

Dan.

it's abit chicken and egg really?!
hed
World Champ

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

only my personal opinion but whats the point of the bulges in the top tube and down tube?

Last edited by hed on Mon Oct 16, 2006 11:15 am; edited 1 time in total
canon dale
E, Gold

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks a bit pregnant if you ask me (which you did, indirectly) Confused
Des

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hed wrote:
only my personal opinion but whats the point of the bulges in the top tube and down tube?

Possibly the same as the "Cantiflex" frames in the 1950's Idea
hed
World Champ

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Des wrote:
hed wrote:

Possibly the same as the "Cantiflex" frames in the 1950's Idea

well before my time i'm afraid
Adam
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hed wrote:

You can ask the same for lots of things, De Rosa springs to mind for designs like that.

http://twitter.com/adamtranter
De Rosa
World Champ

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adam wrote:
hed wrote:

You can ask the same for lots of things, De Rosa springs to mind for designs like that.

Leave my bulges out of this if you dont mind you young sprog! Wink
hed
World Champ

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adam wrote:
hed wrote:

so do they have a point then or are they just there to "look different"?
they are not aero, don't seem to offer anything structurally, and must add a small amount of weight if anything. and they look silly.
mattr
World Champ

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hed wrote:
Adam wrote:
hed wrote:

they are not aero, don't seem to offer anything structurally, and must add a small amount of weight if anything. and they look silly.

they do change the stiffness of the tube, without seeing the FE, there is no way to tell by how much tho.

Also, it could be due to thinning of the tube wall at that point, for a given weight a big diameter thin tube is stiffer than a small diameter thick walled tube, but a thin walled tube is harder to manipulate and join to other tubes.
RichL
Cat 1 Groupie
Cat 1 Groupie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattr wrote:
hed wrote:
Adam wrote:
hed wrote:

they do change the stiffness of the tube, without seeing the FE, there is no way to tell by how much tho.

Also, it could be due to thinning of the tube wall at that point, for a given weight a big diameter thin tube is stiffer than a small diameter thick walled tube, but a thin walled tube is harder to manipulate and join to other tubes.

i think there is a bit of the De Rosa Tango effect in there, they made that frame look like that "because they could" (allegedly)
mattr
World Champ

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RichL wrote:
i think there is a bit of the De Rosa Tango effect in there, they made that frame look like that "because they could" (allegedly)

well, of course, there is always the "we can, you can't" bit of the equation Very Happy

or why would so many 'prestige' frame builders be able to charge so much for distinctly average frames....... Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Technical All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: