Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk :: View topic - Those excuses . . . .

Home FAQ Register Usergroups Search Memberlist Gallery StatisticsForum Sponsors •  Photo RequestProfile • Links Log in to check your private messagesLog inBC Eastmidlands

Those excuses . . . .

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Polls
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Top excuses used to avoid/evade/escape a dope enquiry . . . .
It belongs to my mother in law - rumsas
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Its bum cream, it doesn't count - armstrong
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
It might be a masking agent, but its a coincidence - delgado
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
Its for my dog - vandenbroucke
13%
 13%  [ 8 ]
i ate a wild pigeon, it must have been doped. - van der poel
17%
 17%  [ 10 ]
i drank a whiskey - floyd
3%
 3%  [ 2 ]
its my unborn twin foetus - hamilton
32%
 32%  [ 19 ]
it was the ginseng tea - grewal
3%
 3%  [ 2 ]
It wasn't me. They all did, i didn't. - Virenque
12%
 12%  [ 7 ]
My auntie gave me some cocaine laced sweets - simoni
13%
 13%  [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 58

Flap

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 9:31 am    Post subject: Those excuses . . . . Reply with quote

Just a few of the often used excuses . . . .

Pick and vote on the "best" one you heard !!
martin smith
World Champ

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the prize for inventiveness has to be the unborn twin theory Laughing
hed
World Champ

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i thought it was only recently that armstrong realised he needed bum cream Confused
Flap

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Miaow !!!!!
Turismo
E, Silver

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hed wrote:
i thought it was only recently that armstrong realised he needed bum cream :?

Post of the day
Howard Peel
E, Gold

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So many good ones it is hard to choose!

Still there are plenty more you could add. For example,

Landis: I naturally have an unnatural hormone balance. (Don't see how this explains the presence of artifical testosterone though!).

Mark Gorski, Armstrong's manager: Yes, we use Actovegin, but only to treat grazes when the riders fall off.

(Armstrong himself claimed "I will say that the substance on people's minds - activ-o- something - is new to me. Before this ordeal I had never heard of it, nor had my teammates." An odd claim from such a control freak as Armstrong who took a very real interest in everything the team used, even down to dictating what brand of coffee was kept on the Tour bus!).

P.s a page on the 'graze treatment' Actovegin...

http://www.nycomed.com.cn/english/wmdcp/awz/biaoti.html

Quote:
Actovegin® produces an organ-unrelated increase of the cellular energy metabolism. The activity is confirmed by measurement of the increased uptake and of the elevated utilization of glucose and oxygen. These two effe-cts are coupled and they result in a rise of the ATP-turnover and thus in a greater provision of energy in the cell. In deficiency states with impairment of the normal functions of the energy metabolism (hypoxia, substrate deficiency) and in states of increased energy requirement (reparation, regeneration) Actovegin® promotes the energy-dependent processes of the functional metabolism and of the conservation metabolism. An increase of the blood supply is seen as a secondary effect
Flap

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, i included both - but simply posted the "official" instant "without thinking" response, the individual used, or the etam suggested.

If anyone has any i have missed - let me know and I'll add it.
hed
World Champ

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flap wrote:
Well, i included both - but simply posted the "official" instant "without thinking" response, the individual used, or the etam suggested.

see latest basso post Rolling Eyes
Howard Peel
E, Gold

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flap wrote:

No criticism was intended! I was simply pointing out that Armstrong and Landis have been involved with more than one 'excuse'. (In fact Landis can probabaly be associated with at least half a dozen!). In the case of Armstrong, the 'bum cream' excuse was used when he tested positive for sterioids. The Actovegin one related to the time the team was caught dumping the packaging from a batch of the stuff in a bin.

With Landis we have had:

1) 'Naturally unnatural hormone levels'. (In response to a failed T/E ratio test)

2) 'Drinking alcohol'. (Again in response to the failed T/E ratio test).

When a subsequent Mass Spectrometry test revealed that Landis had synthetic testosterone in his body, we have seen a whole new raft of excuses, most of them trying to undermine the credibility of the test, the lab or trying to imply there is some sort of conspiracy against him.

Last edited by Howard Peel on Tue May 08, 2007 1:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Howard Peel
E, Gold

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No post, I just edited a typo and the post duplicated itself!
SteveAS
Elite Poster
Elite Poster

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who was the rider who said his mum was wearing his sandals and cos she was using a cream to cure her corns it got onto the sandals and he transmitted it.

Something like that. It was in the 80s i recall.
Howard Peel
E, Gold

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When looking around for a few more 'excuses' I came across the following, and the title if nothing else made me laugh.

Landis' excuses like 1,000 monkeys with typewriters

http://www.sportsline.com/print/columns/story/9590157

This is good as well...

Quote:
Have you ever wondered why the entire spam mail business is still in operation – like, seriously, who in the world could still be falling for those emails promising lost fortune, dates with 19-year-old Russian blondes or instant magical growth of one part of the anatomy or another?

I think I have the answer.

Cycling fans.

Judging by the feedback that just keeps on coming and coming, these guys will believe anything. Floyd Landis? He is just the victim of a French plot to embarrass America. Or something like that. And there are thousands of these people.

I hereby apologize to San Francisco Giants fans, who, in the past, I had called the nation's dimmest rubes for holding onto the belief that Barry Bonds was clean. At least BALCO Barry never failed two dr-ug tests.

Cycling fans remain believers and aren't happy with anyone (like the rest of the world) that thinks Floyd Landis cheated. Next up, Maurice Clarett is a good dude. I actually think this is heart warming; I had no idea so many villages allowed their idiots to use the computer.

http://sports.yahoo.com/top/news?slug=dw-peoplesvoice081006&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

It's not just cycling of course....

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/indepth/10-doping-excuses.html

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/indepth/*CENSORED*/stories/top10.html
Willi Tarran
E, Silver

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best I have heard was concerning a test in the team time trial stage of an International Stage Race

"I should not have been selected as I crossed the line in 3rd place not second place. I purposely finished in 3rd place because my manager told me to."

The rider didn't turn up and got lobbed off the race and then tried to organise a boycott and go slow the next day.

This was cured by the organiser being encouraged to put a 500 guilder prime after 5 kms. Race started at 50kph (funny speed for a go slow) and the rest of the race passed without incident and nobody else missed the doping .

Strange really

Willi Tarran
Flap

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

for those amongst us, who are somewhat bored. . . try this :

Check out which races - have produced the most number of "positive" tests - and the "Tour" as a whole does not count !!

check out how many riders have ben declared positive on tour stages - as opposed to classics .

re Willi Comment - re ploegen tijdrit , ik ken dat koersen jonger . . .
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Polls All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: