Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk :: View topic - Should we have a seperate area for EUG discussions?

Home FAQ Register Usergroups Search Memberlist Gallery StatisticsForum Sponsors •  Photo RequestProfile • Links Log in to check your private messagesLog inBC Eastmidlands

Should we have a seperate area for EUG discussions?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Polls
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Seperate area for EUG nonsense?
Yes please
72%
 72%  [ 21 ]
Go on then!
3%
 3%  [ 1 ]
Good idea Tucker
24%
 24%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 29

Ingatestonian
Cat 1 Groupie
Cat 1 Groupie

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patrick wrote:
Jesus, when will this *CENSORED* end.

In autumn of 2012 perhaps? Very Happy
Brian Cookson
E, Silver

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plurien wrote:
Is boredom your only reason for not answering?

No. Boredom with your abusive approach is only one reason.

Others include the fact that your pathetic smears and misinformation have been clearly rumbled by most people on here, so there is no need to repeat myself. According to you and one or two other EUG chums, BC's professional staff are fools, our regional o f f i c i a l s are lackeys (except when they agree with you), our legal adviser is incompetent, and I am suffering from some form of mental aberration. All this from a man who has been forced into admitting spreading false information about British Cycling.

I have better things to do with my time than keep responding to this absurd tirade.

Meanwhile anyone who really cares about the future of cycling in London can be assured that British Cycling's objective in all of this is that after the Olympics there will be a far better range of facilities for all disciplines than there were before. That's what we'll continue working towards, professionally and competently, with none of the histrionics favoured by certain others.

Brian.
Plurien
E, Silver

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KJ - British Cycling and the ODA should be prepared to come and find out if I'm representing the wide consensus round 'ere don't you think?
They've been invited. What's the reluctance? And no, I don't mean come and meet just the BC of fi cers, though they would be welcome to attend the meeting too.

Trevor R - 1-2-3 All of the velodrome, BMX and Speedway are in the Book of New Eastway we published in 2004 and are to be welcomed as additions. We suggested speedway, we made contact with the leading E End club and it went from there. We made contact with Phil at Royston for BMX. We had contribution from the manager of HH for track. Obviously the velodrome was fixed in the plan from 2003-on, as was the BMX as soon as it was confirmed as an Olympic sport. The nature of BMX legacy is 'indeterminate', but it's definitely reduced as it wouldn't be sensible to retain so much seating, so then it's been moved to make the velopark what the ODA terms more 'compact'.
Whether it's sensible and in the interests of our sport to have a 6,000-seat capacity velodrome is debatable - The seats do nothing for those who would actually ride and could lead to less track availability as other events - rock concerts, mass meetings etc - push for an indoor arena. Certainly these would bring more revenue to the operator.

None of the above were available on the site in the period prior to closure. - agreed (but there is little benefit in losing the site first...)

4 - There is a temporary venue being made available at Hog Hill (newts permitting) which will be at least as good as Eastway - although in a different location. - agreed, and very hard-fought.
5 - The Hog Hill site may be available for use after the Games subject to funding - Complete kite-flying, but you mustn't forget this is a relocation pending the legacy. The uncertainty is very much greater than many would expect, and there are very specific reasons to say this.
6 - There will be a road circuit of some sort on the Games Park after 2012
There will be no off-road competition facility. The road circuit is of dubious quality, especially when compared to Eastway's for which a proper replacement was promised in legacy. Get the land for both of these facilities - the ones that were lost - and we will be able to plan the space properly.
If in doubt of the benefit of a proper space, funding and vision for the facility, you should read this summary of the last plan known to users;-
http://www.london2012.com/en/news/archive/2005/february/2005-02-15-17-15.htm.
Hans Datdodishes
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plurien wrote:
KJ - British Cycling and the ODA should be prepared to come and find out if I'm representing the wide consensus round 'ere don't you think?
They've been invited. What's the reluctance? And no, I don't mean come and meet just the BC of fi cers, though they would be welcome to attend the meeting too.

Trevor R - 1-2-3 All of the velodrome, BMX and Speedway are in the Book of New Eastway we published in 2004 and are to be welcomed as additions. We suggested speedway, we made contact with the leading E End club and it went from there. We made contact with Phil at Royston for BMX. We had contribution from the manager of HH for track. Obviously the velodrome was fixed in the plan from 2003-on, as was the BMX as soon as it was confirmed as an Olympic sport. The nature of BMX legacy is 'indeterminate', but it's definitely reduced as it wouldn't be sensible to retain so much seating, so then it's been moved to make the velopark what the ODA terms more 'compact'.
Whether it's sensible and in the interests of our sport to have a 6,000-seat capacity velodrome is debatable - The seats do nothing for those who would actually ride and could lead to less track availability as other events - rock concerts, mass meetings etc - push for an indoor arena. Certainly these would bring more revenue to the operator.

None of the above were available on the site in the period prior to closure. - agreed (but there is little benefit in losing the site first...)

4 - There is a temporary venue being made available at Hog Hill (newts permitting) which will be at least as good as Eastway - although in a different location. - agreed, and very hard-fought.
5 - The Hog Hill site may be available for use after the Games subject to funding - Complete kite-flying, but you mustn't forget this is a relocation pending the legacy. The uncertainty is very much greater than many would expect, and there are very specific reasons to say this.
6 - There will be a road circuit of some sort on the Games Park after 2012
There will be no off-road competition facility. The road circuit is of dubious quality, especially when compared to Eastway's for which a proper replacement was promised in legacy. Get the land for both of these facilities - the ones that were lost - and we will be able to plan the space properly.
If in doubt of the benefit of a proper space, funding and vision for the facility, you should read this summary of the last plan known to users;-
http://www.london2012.com/en/news/archive/2005/february/2005-02-15-17-15.htm.

Are you going to lay claim for the Northern Ireland peace process as well?

I'm a qualified coach.
KJ
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plurien. Really do you ever really read anyone elses posts?
You represent a small informal group of people.

Listen to yourself. 'British Cycling and the ODA should be prepared to come and find out if I'm representing the wide consensus round' ere...'

You are not the ringmaster in this process, just a noisy sometimes ill informed bit player in the whole Olympic process.

I applaud the fact that faced with the loss of facilities you have made as much noise as possible to highlight the problem but now you should work with the NGB to ensure the best possible outcome. It may not be exactly what you want but the continuation of these hostile tactics are going to be counter productive.
Hans Datdodishes
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KJ wrote:
Plurien. Really do you ever really read anyone elses posts?
You represent a small informal group of people

He's a cult leader Wink

I'm a qualified coach.
Plurien
E, Silver

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hans - har har. Though it does look a bit like that, agreed.

There's progress made and there are current issues.
We have to keep concentrating on legacy now, since the ODA went for planning permissions stretching out to 2019.
It is the progress made, and the reasons why it came about which have made the users wonder about the way in which BC is representing their interests. Much of the progress - in fact almost all of it - has been made with the developer and the BC in flagrant opposition to what users utlimately have won.
- We can't explain that, and we would like it to be understood.
- But we can't let slip on the legacy, since that's forever. So when people are exasperated about the 'debate' they have to realise the very positive history and the great deal that's riding on how the future provision can best be secured.
VR has agreed that users would be best served by opposing the present application in conjunction with BC, but BC won't do this. Brian's reply above is more 'ad hominem' which sadly lacks in content or response to the very real issue of how BC can best inform its stance and strengthen the negotiating position of cycling as a whole. It hasn't talked with users (or didn't listen/act when it did) and it isn't retaining a planning *CENSORED* lawyer for its advice. (He's definitely not 'incompetent' and I didn't say that, Brian. Athletes1.co.uk is a leading firm).

So yeah, stop bleating and get results.
- How best to get them?
- Should EUG be prepared to settle only for what's been won, when it knows how to keep on winning more, and can see that BC is again obstructing that route?
No interim, no legacy for road and off-road?
Rammey Marsh or Hog Hill?
Legacy as offered or legacy as promised?

Hmmmm
George Gilbert
Div 3 Pro

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plurien wrote:
VR has agreed that users would be best served by opposing the present application in conjunction with BC, but BC won't do this.

VR has absolutely, definitely, categorically not decided anything of the sort.

Apart from the fact that VR has no authority to agree on anything (it's an internet forum, not some kind of constituted body with a system of selecting a single opinion on a subject), even if we did there has never been anything more than a tiny minority that believe in what you have just said.

Yet again, you make up facts to suit your cause. Because these "facts" are so blatently false people see straight through them and don't trust anything you say (if so many statements are proven false, how are we to believe those that we can't verify).

To mix metaphors, it's like the boy who cried wolf. If you lie so much, we won't believe you should you ever happen to tell the truth.

As I said in one of my first posts about this subject ( http://www.veloriders.co.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=53453 ), if you stuck to writing about only the facts, only what you're doing you might gain some support. However, you conveniently ignored it and continue to damage the case for Eastway. The longer you keep posting such misleading information and attacking BC, the more it will be that, if better facilities are won for Eastway, they will be *despite* the EUG, rather than because of it.

Plurien wrote:
So yeah, stop bleating and get results.

Couldn't put it better myself. I trust therefore this will be your last post about Eastway?
Brian Cookson
E, Silver

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeez, Michael, you really don't know when to stop with the misinformation and drivel do you?

Plurien wrote:
Much of the progress - in fact almost all of it - has been made with the developer and the BC in flagrant opposition to what users utlimately have won.

Not true. We must either agree 100% with you or we are on the side of "the opposition"? Rubbish. Interesting that you keep using the phrase "the developer" - presumably to try and cast the ODA as big, bad profiteers intent on grabbing vast sums of money and laying waste to the humble ambitions of the poor cycling community. And you accuse me of spin!?

Plurien wrote:
It hasn't talked with users (or didn't listen/act when it did) and it isn't retaining a planning *CENSORED* lawyer for its advice. (He's definitely not 'incompetent' and I didn't say that, Brian. Athletes1.co.uk is a leading firm).

More economy with the truth. Either we have or we haven't talked to users, it can't be both. Again what you mean is that we either agree 100% with you or we are totally against you.

As regards our legal advice, you certainly stated (and do it again above) that we are not sourcing it from a company that is competent in the right field. In fact our lawyer on this matter has more than one string to his bow and is a senior figure in Bates Wells and Braithwaites, a major firm of city-based lawyers with a huge range of expertise across relevant fields. have a look at their website;
http://www.bateswells.co.uk/

For those who haven't got the time here's an extract;

BWB is a commercial law firm servicing a wide range of commercial, statutory, charity and social enterprises (and their owners and managers). We are ranked joint first in three areas of the Legal 500 and recognised by them or Chambers UK in the following areas:

Administrative & Public Law
Charity & Social Enterprise
Company commercial
Employment
Film
Immigration:Business
Immigration:Personal
International
Litigation
Media & Entertainment:Film & TV Production
Media & Entertainment:Theatre
Partnership
Property
Public Sector
Theatre

With 135 staff and partners we are large enough to provide a complete range of commercial services but small enough to provide a personal service to every client.

Our mission statement is given below:

Our purpose is to do worthwhile work to the best of our ability, for clients we respect, recognising that we do so in a highly competitive environment. We will, at all times, seek to value everyone in the firm and provide secure and enjoyable employment. We will strive to preserve a balance between work and home.

We will encourage a diverse and open culture which fosters trust and loyalty amongst all within the firm and with clients. All this we undertake in the context of making a reasonable living and always with a commitment to justice and the public interest.

Crikey, they even have a mission statement! But I'll tell them Michael Humphreys thinks they are incapable of giving BC appropriate legal advice, shall I? Sure they'll be delighted.

Meanwhile, I'd be obliged if you'd stop publishing misleading and incorrect information about BC on this and other websites.

Brian.
ldncycle
Elite Poster
Elite Poster

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian, get a grip.
Plurien did NOTsay your lawyer was incapable of giving legal advice.
The point was that the area of law that is most applicable to the legacy is fairly spe cia list. Is the lawyer you took to the meeting a spe cia list in that area? The lawyer you use is clearly very good at the specific areas you've needed in the past.
Lets ease up on the mudslinging.... everyone.
JohnC
E, Bronze

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.britishcycling.org.uk/web/site/BC/bcf/News2007/20070510_blog.asp
From "Brian's Blog" regarding ODA meeting where BC fielded 11 rep's, most of whom were never seen at Eastway and certainly had nothing to do with organising there, and where Eastway users were restricted to 1 rep, and leading organisers/sponsors such as ourselves were prevented from attending:

"It was good that several of our elected regional representatives and some of our key partners were able to get together and hear about the situation first hand. If you are a member in Eastern, South East, or Central Region, I urge you to contact those representatives and find out how they saw things. I think you will find that not many of them agree with some of the more alarmist and negative views that have been put about."

From Dee Doocey - Chair of the London Assembly Economic Development, Culture, Sport & Tourism Committee and Scrutineer of the London 2012 Olympics Project:

"I was shocked at the disdain shown to local cycling groups"

"I distinctly recalled ODA CEO saying that the workshop would be a consultative meeting"

"At the start of the meeting Micheal Humpreys of the EUG asked to have clarified that is was a consultation meeting. He was told that it was not a consultative meeting but an informal meeting to keep you informed."

“It seems to me that if you are on the inside of the ODA tent, life is rosy. If on the other hand you are outside, you are treated as if you are troublesome"

"I have never seen such a shambolic meeting in my life. It was appalling."
Brian Cookson
E, Silver

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couldn't agree more John.

But as with all mudslinging, some sticks if you don't wipe it off, and Michael has clearly stated on here and on your website londoncyclesport.com that BC hasn't got the right legal advisors on this matter. A simple error of confusing the point of entry with the source of the advice. Oddly enough though, the correct identity of the lawyers we are using for this matter was clearly there in the BC website statement. Surely Michael wouldn't deliberately avoid mentioning something that he knew to be the truth because it didn't suit his argument, would he?

Brian.
Ingatestonian
Cat 1 Groupie
Cat 1 Groupie

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hans Datdodishes wrote:
Are you going to lay claim for the Northern Ireland peace process as well?

I can't say that 'peace making' is the first thing that would spring to mind as having been demonstrated here! Very Happy
Ingatestonian
Cat 1 Groupie
Cat 1 Groupie

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plurien wrote:
Should EUG be prepared to settle only for what's been won, when it knows how to keep on winning more, and can see that BC is again obstructing that route?

Sorry Plurien - whatever your past differences, I can't see how BC is supposed to be 'obstructing' things now. Other than not complaining quite as loudly as you'd like.
JohnC
E, Bronze

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian Cookson wrote:
Couldn't agree more John.

But as with all mudslinging, some sticks if you don't wipe it off, and Michael has clearly stated on here and on your website londoncyclesport.com that BC hasn't got the right legal advisors on this matter. A simple error of confusing the point of entry with the source of the advice. Oddly enough though, the correct identity of the lawyers we are using for this matter was clearly there in the BC website statement. Surely Michael wouldn't deliberately avoid mentioning something that he knew to be the truth because it didn't suit his argument, would he?

Brian.

I had previously looked at the lawyer's website; Mike Townley is not mentioned anywhere, although all active lawyers have substantial CV's. He may have a family member still with the firm and be less active with them. None of the partners/lawyers have a track record in planning.

Mike Townley appears to have now his own special_ist sport law business - nothing on that website about planning. He represented Tony Doyle years ago, so perhaps that's where you had the contact.

Peter King sounded me out to come in with BC rather than brief our own special_ist planning lawyers. Michael went to the meeting with Mike Townley and Peter King, he found that Mike Townley seem unaware of key legal issue surrounding the Olympics that our special_ist planning lawyers found to be critical to the case and that BC had been unable to brief Mike Townley properly, understandable as I am fully aware, as a key member of EUG, the time and breadth of knowledge that it takes to do so.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Polls All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7

Jump to: