Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk :: View topic - Cycling Weekly Set New Standards!

Home FAQ Register Usergroups Search Memberlist Gallery StatisticsForum Sponsors •  Photo RequestProfile • Links Log in to check your private messagesLog inBC Eastmidlands

Cycling Weekly Set New Standards!
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Polls
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should CW continue to put themselves on the front cover or start putting our stars up there?
Lame CW Staffers
12%
 12%  [ 7 ]
The stars of British and World cycling
87%
 87%  [ 51 ]
Total Votes : 58

R6Stew
Cat 2 Groupie
Cat 2 Groupie

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 12:48 pm    Post subject: Cycling Weekly Set New Standards! Reply with quote

How totally cr4p are CW getting. This week Cav has won 2 stages of Dunkirk, Hoy takes over a second of the 500m world record and whats the front cover?

A pair a lame ponces who I'm not the least bit interested in.

I'm cancelling my subscription it's gone too far!
tommo
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It takes me 20 seconds to read it in WHSmiths Wink ...bag of shiiiitte Confused
Sir Lord Tommo of Clay cross
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
R6Stew
Cat 2 Groupie
Cat 2 Groupie

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I'll start doing the same Wink
David Perry
E, Bronze

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

try reading the whats on page. it gave me a headache having to strain my eyes to read it
I have emailed to complain but they have had my money again so there not bothered
R6Stew
Cat 2 Groupie
Cat 2 Groupie

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats the problem with subscribing, I kn4ckered until August Mad
van eijden
E, Silver

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think who ever designs that tat aka CW must have worked on some grim womens gossip magazine or TV listings mag previously. Not even worth flicking through in WHSmiths anymore!
Richard
World Champ

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Cycling Weekly Set New Standards! Reply with quote

R6Stew wrote:
How totally cr4p are CW getting. This week Cav has won 2 stages of Dunkirk, Hoy takes over a second of the 500m world record and whats the front cover?

A pair a lame ponces who I'm not the least bit interested in.

I'm cancelling my subscription it's gone too far!

they have consistently NOT made a big front cover picture of the following:

Hunt winning GP MArsellaise
Millar winning P-R prologue and wearing leader's jersey
Cavendish's wins
Wiggins' World Champs and Dunkirk prologue win
Track Champs win

Now they have made (from what I've been told) a big deal of this on the inside, but they never give the main cover picture to the stars yet they are apparently proclaiming that we Brits are doing so well. So why don't they promote them then?
Surely a national weekly magazine should be promoting the Great British stars?

And yes I am now logged onto the CW forum and have asked these questions yet have received no feedback from any staff member explaining why this is the case.
Richard
World Champ

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

R6Stew wrote:
Thats the problem with subscribing, I kn4ckered until August Mad

why? ring up and cancel your subs, you're not tied in to any contract are you? I cancelled mine a couple of years ago before the renewal date without any probs
R6Stew
Cat 2 Groupie
Cat 2 Groupie

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've mailed them asking if it's just vanity! A bunch of nobodies who can only get on the front of a magazine by working for it?

It's really wound me up this week. Could you imagine being Wiggins, Millar, Cav, Hammond, Hunt or Cooke what on earth do they need to do to make front page headlines for their sponsors.

The idiots running CW don't seem to realise that for cycling to survive as a sport sponsors need to see their name on the front not on page 5. That only preaches to the converted, sponsor want the guy buying Max Power to see T-Mobile winning!

I can't beleive how stupid they are being.
R6Stew
Cat 2 Groupie
Cat 2 Groupie

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

will I get a refund?
Richard
World Champ

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

R6Stew wrote:
will I get a refund?

yes I did, no probs. The subs dept of the publishers are v switched on and are really good
George Gilbert
Div 3 Pro

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

R6Stew wrote:
The idiots running CW don't seem to realise that for cycling to survive as a sport sponsors need to see their name on the front not on page 5.

I think that this is where the misunderstanding lies. CW isn't run for the benefit of cycling, it's a business, it's being run to make money for the publishers.

Whilst we here on VR might be only interested in racing, we don't make up the bulk of their readership (and, judging by the number of posts people make saying they're cancelling their subscriptions, the proportion is dropping all the time). It's no more worth complaining that there's no coverage of racing cycling in CW than it is complaining that there's no coverage of racing cycling in knitting weekly - it doesn't interest their core readership, so what's in it for them to take space up that could be otherwise used to generate more money?

CW can't compete with the likes of cyclingnews (or, dare I say it, VR) in terms of getting information to the punters, so why bother trying.

Ho hum - isn't capitalism and the free market economy great... Rolling Eyes
R6Stew
Cat 2 Groupie
Cat 2 Groupie

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll give that some thought then Wink
R6Stew
Cat 2 Groupie
Cat 2 Groupie

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats a valid point, but if that is the case who is the bulk of their readership?
David Perry
E, Bronze

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whats the front page all about Question
This weeks front page should of been of either Dean Downing winning the Lincoln or Ian Wilkinson winning a Round in the Mountain Bike series. Dosent take much to find that information for them to publish. The publisher etc are to busy testing and coming up with conclusion to fill around twenty pages of pure $hit in the middle of the magazine.
Richard
World Champ

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

R6Stew wrote:
Thats a valid point, but if that is the case who is the bulk of their readership?

NOT club cyclists - when I worked in a LBS the vast majority of people buying bikes and kit were non-club cyclists who would regard going out with a club as the worst thing ever. Yes we had plenty of club cyclists (as does every shop) but don't think for one minute that club cyclists are responsible for keeping the business afloat....

People getting into cycling based on the rise of the sportive market - look at today's cover and see what the biggest type face is reserved for
http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/currentissue/

"sportive bike test"

get the picture? club cyclists are just a sideline these days, as is local racing of all kinds
hed
World Champ

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if they didn't want to put a pro on the front cover, or a race, why not put a picture of lewis craven breaking the fred whitton challenge record on sunday, on the cover?
R6Stew
Cat 2 Groupie
Cat 2 Groupie

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All of that is true, but I suspect that the profile of CW readers is more like

buys it every week - Races road/TT/ cross or is a club member
buys it occaisionally - recreational rider, sportif rider looking for events or reviews
buys it for the TDF - joe public

I don't have an issue with CW promoting other aspects of cycling, I know it's more than just the continental pro scene. But who buys the mag in nov/dec/jan and feb - you can bet your 4ss it's not some bloke wanting to ride the Etape!

And we've got 2012 coming, if 14/15 year old kids that need to be inspired to race not 40something to ride the Cat & Fiddle, *CENSORED* or Dragon Rides.

G0d I'm getting old and grumpy! Confused
hed
World Champ

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

R6Stew wrote:

buys it occaisionally - recreational rider, sportif rider looking for events or reviews

I don't have an issue with CW promoting other aspects of cycling, I know it's more than just the continental pro scene. But who buys the mag in nov/dec/jan and feb - you can bet your 4ss it's not some bloke wanting to ride the Etape!

And we've got 2012 coming, if 14/15 year old kids that need to be inspired to race not 40something to ride the Cat & Fiddle, *CENSORED* or Dragon Rides.

G0d I'm getting old and grumpy! Confused

i agree with what you say. its expensive and doesn't cover anything particularly well.
Richard
World Champ

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

R6Stew wrote:

these two represent the biggest market for them and their advertisers so that;s where they will concentrate their resources on.

The journos on the payroll also produce Cycle Sport which I do still subscribe to because it covers the pro scene the way I would like to read about it. I stopped my subs 2 years ago for CW and haven't missed it one bit
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Polls All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: