Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk :: View topic - Should d r u g s be l e g a l i s e d?

Home FAQ Register Usergroups Search Memberlist Gallery StatisticsForum Sponsors •  Photo RequestProfile • Links Log in to check your private messagesLog inBC Eastmidlands

Should d r u g s be l e g a l i s e d?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Polls
View previous topic :: View next topic  

make it L E G A L?
yes
20%
 20%  [ 12 ]
no
79%
 79%  [ 47 ]
Total Votes : 59

Des

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the shadowy darkforces wrote:
i dont think that the current reality is -take d r u g s or loose. Are there any facts as too how much these products improve performance

Riis' TdF win
Pantani's TdF win
Ulrichs Palmares
Millar's Worlds TT win
Landis's TDF possible win
Vino's stage wins

Etc...
Festina_Lente
E, Bronze

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The idea would be to monitor them, and prevent them taking things to far.

It is true that those with an objection to d r u g s would be more or less required to use them, however transparency would prevail. Also, what I believe the current sittuation results in, is two races in one. The users up front and the other, equaly talented, but honest riders out the back.

It is possible to race clean, the problem is that not all do, or will do.

No system is perfect, but a system where transparency has to prevail is better in my eyes. Honesty first.
tis
E, Silver

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about a two tier pro cycling system?

One for the people who want to ride clean (UCI) and one for those who want to go use 'help' - (JUCI) Very Happy

Personally even if it were allowed I wouldn't touch them, I don't even like taking paracetemol. So if I were good enough to think about going pro (only in my dreams) I'd be considerably disadvantaged.
Turismo
E, Silver

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ban water. It enhances performance, and it's dangerous if you drink too much of it.
Zeco2
E, Gold

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roy Gardiner wrote:
I'm not going to delete this thread.

- In sport, drugs must not be legalised.

- In real life, drugs must be legalised.

Good 'ere innit?

If it was simply a matter of personal choice, fine, unfortunately the effect that d r u g taking has on the addict's friends and family - not to mention those who suffer at the hands of the same adict's activities - whether (for example) driving under the influence or in the perpetration of crime to fund their adiction.

If it were not those considerations, let the adicts just kill themselves and the traders get rich in the process. Rolling Eyes
Roy Gardiner
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zeco2 wrote:
Roy Gardiner wrote:
If it was simply a matter of personal choice, fine, unfortunately the effect that d r u g taking has on the addict's friends and family - not to mention those who suffer at the hands of the same adict's activities - whether (for example) driving under the influence or in the perpetration of crime to fund their adiction.

If it were not those considerations, let the adicts just kill themselves and the traders get rich in the process. Rolling Eyes
All these things are worsened by the current prohibition regime.

- Traders get very rich. And they are crooks already becoming rich crooks.

- Junkies kill themselves, from taking incorrect unknown doses to re-using needles.

Legalisation improves all these outcomes.

"Everything in war is simple, but the simplest thing is difficult." Carl Von Clausewitz
racyrich2
E, Gold

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same question was posed by an ethics professor in Monday's Telegraph.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/main.jhtml?xml=/sport/2007/07/30/sodr-ug130.xml (Remove hypen)

Personally I'm against it. It's ludicrously unfair on the majority who don't want to endanger their bodies.
david123
E, Silver

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IainW wrote:
what next? Go Ride club enlists the help of modern day Dr Josef Mengele.

I have decided not to use that name as it has unfortunate connatations,instead im going to go with "Mickeyed Mouse" because though altered in such a way as to resemble a cartoon character he can still be trapped and fed to the lines of whatever it is I must take to write this stuff.
Joursans
Div 2 Pro

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would it be fairer to make PED's compulsory?
david123
E, Silver

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roy Gardiner wrote:
Zeco2 wrote:
Roy Gardiner wrote:

If it were not those considerations, let the adicts just kill themselves and the traders get rich in the process. :roll:

- Junkies kill themselves, from taking incorrect unknown doses to re-using needles.

Mother Teresa reused needles on the children with the wonderful byline "whatever gods will is". Obviously it wasnt herself that did it as the shakes brought on by Albanian rocket vodka put paid to that. Soon to be a saint and as reality doesnt interfere with that process I dont think wishing them Gods speed would be helpful as there noses would end up needing a halo.
hed
World Champ

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

david123 wrote:

Mother Teresa reused needles on the children with the wonderful byline "whatever gods will is". Obviously it wasnt herself that did it as the shakes brought on by Albanian rocket vodka put paid to that. Soon to be a saint and as reality doesnt interfere with that process I dont think wishing them Gods speed would be helpful as there noses would end up needing a halo.

Laughing Shocked
DNAse
E, Gold

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roy Gardiner wrote:
Zeco2 wrote:
Roy Gardiner wrote:

At the risk of starting on a different debate, I can't agree.

Probably the most damaging d-rug in our society is alcohol which is legal. The fact that it is legal doesn't stop people from abusing it. There is evidence (I will try and find it) that the late-licencing (relaxation of alcohol controls) has lead to an increase in consumption and the resultant problems (health damage, anti-social behaviour etc). I cannot see how the legalisation of currently prohibited d-rugs will lead to anything other than an increase in consumption which with the health and social implications has to be a bad thing IMO.
sterudsdad
Cat 1 Groupie
Cat 1 Groupie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In body building I think they have solved this problem by having some competitions where it is legal to use and some where it is not. If it is legal then performance is related to how much your doctor is prepared to take a risk with the riders health in order to make a reputation.
tis
E, Silver

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DNAse wrote:

Probably the most damaging d-rug in our society is alcohol which is legal. The fact that it is legal doesn't stop people from abusing it. There is evidence (I will try and find it) that the late-licencing (relaxation of alcohol controls) has lead to an increase in consumption and the resultant problems (health damage, anti-social behaviour etc). I cannot see how the legalisation of currently prohibited d-rugs will lead to anything other than an increase in consumption which with the health and social implications has to be a bad thing IMO.

Debate started Smile

Regarding alcohol I think its more an issue of culture more than any other factor. Quite a large number of British and Irish people drink to get absolutely hammered and I've rarely see this anywhere else. I don't think longer licensing will effect the drinking habit of the nation. Alcohol is freely availible in Spain for example almost whenever you want it but you rarely see people really drunk (unless they're foreign Smile ) Don't get me wrong, they still drink a lot but not 10 pints in a few hours. In most other places people seem to drink to loosen up, here the culture is drink to get plastered. Men and women are 3 and 5 times more likely to binge drink here than in France or Spain.

I'm still getting emails from my friends on Monday mornings detailing just how fooked they got at the weekend and how they're dying now. Most of these people are in their late 20's/early 30's, own property and are all-round nice, respectable people but come the weekend - they get obliterated. Apparently making yourself sick and punishing yourself is a badge of honour to be worn proudly. Personally I don't get it but then again I didn't drink for a very long time which I'm reliably told is 'g ay'. Thats just the drinking culture in this part of the world I think.
DNAse
E, Gold

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tis wrote:
DNAse wrote:

Debate started Smile

Regarding alcohol I think its more an issue of culture more than any other factor. Quite a large number of British and Irish people drink to get absolutely hammered and I've rarely see this anywhere else. I don't think longer licensing will effect the drinking habit of the nation. Alcohol is freely availible in Spain for example almost whenever you want it but you rarely see people really drunk (unless they're foreign Smile ) Don't get me wrong, they still drink a lot but not 10 pints in a few hours. In most other places people seem to drink to loosen up, here the culture is drink to get plastered. Men and women are 3 and 5 times more likely to binge drink here than in France or Spain.

I'm still getting emails from my friends on Monday mornings detailing just how fooked they got at the weekend and how they're dying now. Most of these people are in their late 20's/early 30's, own property and are all-round nice, respectable people but come the weekend - they get obliterated. Apparently making yourself sick and punishing yourself is a badge of honour to be worn proudly. Personally I don't get it but then again I didn't drink for a very long time which I'm reliably told is 'g ay'. Thats just the drinking culture in this part of the world I think.

and moved to here:
http://www.veloriders.co.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=58183
Smile
jump
Cat 2 Groupie
Cat 2 Groupie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sterudsdad wrote:
In body building I think they have solved this problem by having some competitions where it is legal to use and some where it is not. If it is legal then performance is related to how much your doctor is prepared to take a risk with the riders health in order to make a reputation.

Rubbish, they're still juiced in the "natural" comp's. Evil or Very Mad
Tucker
Tour Winner

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tis wrote:
How about a two tier pro cycling system?

One for the people who want to ride clean (UCI) and one for those who want to go use 'help' - (JUCI) Very Happy

Personally even if it were allowed I wouldn't touch them, I don't even like taking paracetemol. So if I were good enough to think about going pro (only in my dreams) I'd be considerably disadvantaged.

Good thinking Irish - and the mediocre pros who finish mid pack in the UCI, and mid pack in the JUCI after investing in a *CENSORED*, would do what exactly? Take drugs and ride in the UCI races I hear someone say? Rolling Eyes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Polls All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: