Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk :: View topic - World Champs winner 2007 ??

Home FAQ Register Usergroups Search Memberlist Gallery StatisticsForum Sponsors •  Photo RequestProfile • Links Log in to check your private messagesLog inBC Eastmidlands

World Champs winner 2007 ??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Polls
View previous topic :: View next topic  

World champs winner 2007?
UCI
75%
 75%  [ 12 ]
Valverde/Spanish Fed/Spanish Sports minister
25%
 25%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 16

Richard Lodge
E, Bronze

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 2:36 pm    Post subject: World Champs winner 2007 ?? Reply with quote

Looks like the UCI Vs Valverde issue could engulf much of the championship. The Spanish Federation and Sports Minister seem to be saying there is nothing new raised by UCI, and UCI don't seem to be pointing to anything specific in the 6,000 page document to explain their request for further action. Could run and run. I think Valverde is now written threatening legal action against UCI as well ....

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id=news/2007/sep07/sep11news2
George Gilbert
Div 3 Pro

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: World Champs winner 2007 ?? Reply with quote

cyclingnews wrote:
The International Cycling Union (UCI) reiterated it will not allow that Alejandro Valverde (Caisse d'Epargne) to participate in the World Championships in Stuttgart. "The rider can't be in Stuttgart, and that is final," affirmed the UCI.

Valverde sent a letter to the UCI yesterday to inform it that he will undertake legal actions if it does not allow him to work as a professional cyclist.

I really can't see how this will help his case.

The fact that Valverde is banned from the World Championships by the UCI in no way stops him from working as a professional cyclist - if he's banned from other events then it does, but not the Worlds where he is representing his country in a sport (as distinct from being employed to do a day job for which they are paid as would be the case for most other events).

The World Championships is organised and run by the UCI - it's their private party and they can choose who rides and who does not. It's nothing to do with restriction of trade or any such arguments.
Stuart

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this will finally be Kelly's year!
Turismo
E, Silver

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: World Champs winner 2007 ?? Reply with quote

George Gilbert wrote:
cyclingnews wrote:
The International Cycling Union (UCI) reiterated it will not allow that Alejandro Valverde (Caisse d'Epargne) to participate in the World Championships in Stuttgart. "The rider can't be in Stuttgart, and that is final," affirmed the UCI.

Valverde sent a letter to the UCI yesterday to inform it that he will undertake legal actions if it does not allow him to work as a professional cyclist.

I really can't see how this will help his case.

The fact that Valverde is banned from the World Championships by the UCI in no way stops him from working as a professional cyclist - if he's banned from other events then it does, but not the Worlds where he is representing his country in a sport (as distinct from being employed to do a day job for which they are paid as would be the case for most other events).

The World Championships is organised and run by the UCI - it's their private party and they can choose who rides and who does not. It's nothing to do with restriction of trade or any such arguments.

Although it could restrict his value to his employers, perhaps? There's also the indirect restrictions that the UCI banning him out of the blue could pose -- by focusing his training around a particular event, it has essentially prevented him from being competitive in other events.

Does he have a case? Probably not. Are the UCI right to enforce his exclusion? Definitely not.
Des

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the Unibet riders could in theory sue Unipublic and ASO etc.?
irishdave
E, Silver

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh no.....i can feel my BP rising with anger / confusion etc etc.

i better not start on this cos i ll bore everyone with my *CENSORED*-ness regarding poor aul Unibet and the rest of the poor sods
George Gilbert
Div 3 Pro

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: World Champs winner 2007 ?? Reply with quote

Turismo wrote:
Are the UCI right to enforce his exclusion? Definitely not.

Genuine question - Why not?

Why is this case any different to if I decided to enter, say, the British National Championships? In both cases the organiser selects the field for their race from the entries they have received - legal issues don't come in to it (assuming they don't select on the basis of ethnicity etc!); it's their race, they can do what they want.

- If the organiser decides to exclude a rider on the basis of them not being very good and so including them would detract from the credibility of the event so be it.

- If the organiser decides to exclude a rider on the basis of them being implicated in an ongoing doping case and so including them would detract from the credibility of the event so be it.
smudge100
E, Silver

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:29 am    Post subject: UNION OF CHIMPS Reply with quote

Hello dudes

I think the UCI are completely incompetent. Who are their legal advisors? Surely you can't ban a rider becuase his pets name is on a piece of paper.

Either suspend him and investigate or keep quiet and gather further evidence but you cna't just ban him cause you suspect him!!!

Just a bloody joke

Euro. It's not an origin or place of manufacturing. It's a style or an essence." S.A.H
Des

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: UNION OF CHIMPS Reply with quote

smudge100 wrote:
Hello dudes

I think the UCI are completely incompetent. Who are their legal advisors? Surely you can't ban a rider becuase his pets name is on a piece of paper.

Either suspend him and investigate or keep quiet and gather further evidence but you cna't just ban him cause you suspect him!!!

Just a bloody joke

Its there ball, same as the TdF's is ASO's and Unipublic own the Vuelta Rolling Eyes Yet they pick and choose who can ride yet using even more arbitrary standards and you don't seem to condemn them?
Festina_Lente
E, Bronze

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a wierd feeling rebellin will take it.

In the other world championships, I think ASO, Unipublic and RCS will break away early, arriving with a great advantage over the chasing group, ASO out muscling the other two to take it by 10-15 secs.
In the first chase group, the fighting for 4th between RFEC and the UCI, UCI will win by a tire, while Valverde will be several bike lengths back behind WADA. The IOC will have a quiet showing, prefering to concentrate on 2008, where it it plans to substitute the mens road race with boules. The BDR will be shot out the back on the first climb, come dead last, as a summer "cleaning house" will have taken its toll.

The race will hit by scandal.
Turismo
E, Silver

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: World Champs winner 2007 ?? Reply with quote

George Gilbert wrote:
Turismo wrote:

Why is this case any different to if I decided to enter, say, the British National Championships? In both cases the organiser selects the field for their race from the entries they have received - legal issues don't come in to it (assuming they don't select on the basis of ethnicity etc!); it's their race, they can do what they want.

- If the organiser decides to exclude a rider on the basis of them not being very good and so including them would detract from the credibility of the event so be it.

- If the organiser decides to exclude a rider on the basis of them being implicated in an ongoing doping case and so including them would detract from the credibility of the event so be it.

Ill thought out stream of conciousness follows, so don't pick on me too much over it:

I suppose it's because if they decided out of the blue to assume guilt on the riders that, by definition, they should be protecting, it doesn't seem "right". Nothing has changed with Valverde's situation since... well, last year's World Championships.

As far as I'm aware, the only people implicating Valverde in any ongoing doping case are a handful of the media. By excluding him, the UCI are essentially strengthening the belief that the rider is guilty, something that is much more capable of detracting from the credibility of the sport. There are plenty of other riders that are able to take the start line who bring with them a similar level of suspicion.

They can exclude riders at their discretion, and that's a basic perogative of the event organisers. Nevertheless, their choice to exclude Valverde isn't right for the rider or the sport.

He doesn't have a case, but nor it is necessarily the right decision of the UCI to bully him out of the race. Riders sacrificed as part of the fight against doping -- like Marco Pantani -- are bad enough, but to do so with a rider against whom there is still only suspicion as evidence of his guilt doesn't seem like something that a governing body should be involved with.

Now how about Bettini to retain his rainbow jersey, huh?
DNAse
E, Gold

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: World Champs winner 2007 ?? Reply with quote

George Gilbert wrote:
Turismo wrote:

Not really the same but I have heard that a rider featuring in another thread has been "not welcome" at any race in Wales after an incident in the British champs of 2001.
Flabio Chubbolinni
E, Silver

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought that all the riders who rode the TDF signed an agreement that said they had no involvement in any doping case and would if asked give blood samples for DNA comparison if required. Why have the UCI not asked for Valverde to clear his name with DNA?

Oh and how many riders a given back a years salary yet?

Dean Tranter
Dastardly
E, Silver

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Di Luca or Schumacer

Sam Sanchez as an outside bet.
May I present to you, the greatest breakthrough in travel since Sir Rodney Tricycle thought to himself, 'I'm bored of walking, i think i'll invent something with three wheels and a bell, and name it after myself.'
:The time machine.
Festina_Lente
E, Bronze

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:39 am    Post subject: You heard it here first! Reply with quote

Didn't I tell ya? Wink

Quote:
I have a wierd feeling rebellin will take it.

In the other world championships, I think ASO, Unipublic and RCS will break away early, arriving with a great advantage over the chasing group, ASO out muscling the other two to take it by 10-15 secs.
In the first chase group, the fighting for 4th between RFEC and the UCI, UCI will win by a tire, while Valverde will be several bike lengths back behind WADA. The IOC will have a quiet showing, prefering to concentrate on 2008, where it it plans to substitute the mens road race with boules. The BDR will be shot out the back on the first climb, come dead last, as a summer "cleaning house" will have taken its toll.

The race will hit by scandal.

Clairvoiant- or maybe not Confused
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Polls All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: