Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk :: View topic - Best time to train

Home FAQ Register Usergroups Search Memberlist Gallery StatisticsForum Sponsors •  Photo RequestProfile • Links Log in to check your private messagesLog inBC Eastmidlands

Best time to train
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Polls
View previous topic :: View next topic  

The safest time to train during the week in winter is:
before work
42%
 42%  [ 12 ]
after work
57%
 57%  [ 16 ]
Total Votes : 28

Rob of the Og
E, Gold

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Graham Webb wrote:
Tucker wrote:
Nope - the question was "when is the safest"? Im plumping for morning for no particular reason.

If you have time in the morning then that is always best, even in the summer.

I'd go along with that. The early morning is a great time to be out on the roads, there have been days when I've got up at 5, done a 3hr ride and been in work for 8. Until about 7am, the traffic is very quiet whereas in the evenings it can still be quite heavy at 8 or 9pm. Plus even in mid winter it's getting light by 8am, whereas it's dark at 4.30pm so the whole ride in the evening is in the dark.

The only problem is that it when it's icey this is obviously worse in the morning than the evening. Also, my commute/training ride is primarily downhill on the way into work so if I have a really hard session to do I'll do it in the evenings so that the majority of the ride is uphill. It's definitely safer to be doing ~300w on an uphill drag than on a downhill while you weave through traffic.
Graham Webb
E, Bronze

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the 50's, at any time of the day, there was very little traffic on the roads. If I didn't have to go to school I would often be out at 3 am, wonderful time of the day, as I couldn't satisfy my thirst with anything less than 100 miles and needed the time! But I guess they don't make em like me anymore; Laughing (or do they just lock em away at birth?)

Ps Talking of ice on the roads. In the late 50's, I was about 14 years old, I set off in November from Brum at midnight to go and see the cycle show at Earl’s Court. In the night it started to rain and immediately froze in black ice, I had to ride most of the way on the grass verge as I couldn't stay upright on the roads. I arrived that morning at the cycle show in time for the opening!

Last edited by Graham Webb on Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Billy Boy
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Graham Webb wrote:
In the 50's, at any time of the day, there was very little traffic on the roads. If I didn't have to go to school I would often be out at 3 am, wonderful time of the day, as I couldn't satisfy my thirst with anything less than 100 miles and needed the time! But I guess they don't make em like me anymore; Laughing (or do they just lock em away at birth?)

Yeah but where did that get you!? Laughing Wink

"Eating is not for wimps" - coal miner

"most of us don't have your brilliance." - John McC
Stuart

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy Boy wrote:
Graham Webb wrote:

Yeah but where did that get you!? Laughing Wink

100 miles from his house.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Polls All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: