Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk :: View topic - Pat McQuaid

Home FAQ Register Usergroups Search Memberlist Gallery StatisticsForum Sponsors •  Photo RequestProfile • Links Log in to check your private messagesLog inBC Eastmidlands

Pat McQuaid

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Polls
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should Pat McQuaid hand in his notice to the UCI
Yes
77%
 77%  [ 46 ]
No
22%
 22%  [ 13 ]
Total Votes : 59

Cheshire Cat
E, Bronze

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 11:19 am    Post subject: Pat McQuaid Reply with quote

Enough has been said on this matter, so lets have a Poll.

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/Cancellara_criticises_ASO_and_UCI_article_196825.html

Last edited by Cheshire Cat on Sat Mar 08, 2008 5:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
david123
E, Silver

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Pat McQuaid Reply with quote

Cheshire Cat wrote:
Enough has been said on this matter, so lets have a Poll.

would anybody
Flap

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"should Pat McQuaid hand his notice in?"

he 's not allowed.
Hein Verbruggen won't let him . . . .
Howard Peel
E, Gold

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cancellara seems to have the right idea...

Cancellara called on ASO and UCI to find a solution to the dispute and questioned if Pat McQuaid should remain at the head of the UCI.

“The solution would be to make a peace agreement. It's not up to us to find the solution. If the UCI can't find a solution, I think the UCI has to go.”

“If a person works for a major company and doesn't know how to run things, I think they're in the wrong place. The boss of a sport has to work for the good of the sport, not against it. They shouldn't say that a rider has to be banned for six months. We haven't done anything wrong and just want to race.”

“I don't know if Pat McQuaid has to resign but how long has been in power, a year or two? He hasn't done much...”

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/Cancellara_criticises_ASO_and_UCI_article_196825.html

Also...

He was not particularly pleased with UCI's president, Irishman Pat McQuaid. "ASO is the greatest organiser, and the UCI does not want to give rights to them. ... If one is the head of business, how can he say that we will be suspended if we race an important race. We want to race, not talk." The UCI had threatened riders who start "The Race to the Sun" with a six month suspension and possible sanctions against their teams.

"The UCI is making a mistake. Strike? The teams have pressure to race." He was asked if McQuaid should step down as president of the UCI, "I don't think it would change much. However, if one can not manage a company, then he should not spend much time there."

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id=news/2008/mar08/mar09news

Perhaps the wind really is blowing in a 'different' way in cycling, and about time too! Wink
Cheshire Cat
E, Bronze

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should Pat McQuaid hand in his notice to the UCI
Yes
79%

No
20%

As he wrote it out yet Question
Des

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't that a bit like asking Platini to resign as head of UEFA because Rio Ferdinand and group of small group of footie supporters think he should.

I still have yet to read a convincing argument why the world governing body should kow tow to a self serving commercial group, that want to arbitrally impose their own rules on the sport.
Cary de Weigh
E, Silver

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Des wrote:
Isn't that a bit like asking Platini to resign as head of UEFA because Rio Ferdinand and group of small group of footie supporters think he should.

I still have yet to read a convincing argument why the world governing body should kow tow to a self serving commercial group, that want to arbitrally impose their own rules on the sport.

I think it's a more like the Premier League and Serie A opting out of UEFA - i.e. where all the money is.

I have some sympathy with McQuaid, but I think the only way that the rift in cycling can be healed now is if he resigns. The reality is that ASO have all the cards, and they're never going to give in to McQuaid.
Festina_Lente
E, Bronze

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the ciclists have all the cards, but their union is too weak or stupid to blind side the uci and aso, ans steal control of the sport themselves, like it should be.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Polls All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: