Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk :: View topic - dolan hercules se £800 frame

Home FAQ Register Usergroups Search Memberlist Gallery StatisticsForum Sponsors •  Photo RequestProfile • Links Log in to check your private messagesLog inBC Eastmidlands

dolan hercules se £800 frame

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Technical
View previous topic :: View next topic  

800 to spend
dolan se
57%
 57%  [ 8 ]
carbon frame
7%
 7%  [ 1 ]
alu/carbon
21%
 21%  [ 3 ]
ti
14%
 14%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 14

Jamesstout
E, Bronze

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:14 pm    Post subject: dolan hercules se £800 frame Reply with quote

the time has come for me to get a new frame - the above looks to be top value - anyone aelse got any tips around the 600-800 quid range? i want something really nice with a short head tube to replicate the position on my dave hinde dedacci frame which i currently have - the new hinde comes in at 850g and its all aluminium - i'm a tad suspicious about that one, it's either going to be really uncomfy or really flexy as it is n't too costly and is very light.

do you guys reckon for this money is houdl go for carbon (the dolan is 3K carbon if that means anything) ro stick to alu/carbon mixes or even go for ti ( i think sunday have a cheap ti bike at 800)
js
16simon
Elite Poster
Elite Poster

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that the same frame as the Dolan Mythos?

I had a Mythos, it looked the part and the price was right, but I never liked it, sold it after a few rides. Compared to the Trek 5500 that it was meant to replace, it just never felt very lively. There wasn't any one thing that was wrong with it, it just didn't feel up for it, even with a Dura Ace groupset and Bontrager XXX lite wheels. I suppose it depends what you want to do on it: it's no race bike though. It put me off cheap carbon; I bought an alu frame instead, not so fashionable but better at that price range.
Jamesstout
E, Bronze

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no the mythos is 2 rungs lower down the range from the looks of things
martin smith
World Champ

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/id36343.html
yorkie
Elite Poster
Elite Poster

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

try ti, you really won't regret it. i've got the model down from this and it's *such* a nice ride

http://www.vannicholas.com/WbmBikeHome.aspx?EncIdName=TO4LQDf9f61uKoioAmVVZcwGB7bgrKdScq6uQg9rvamzbTtLAsiOF5pFfmXI%2b%2fr3XNLFFKv%2f5iw6JE%2bNWjjcNZnhEhgydhrI8ESgZSqHlig%3d
Jamesstout
E, Bronze

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

have reidden ti before - i used to ahve a merlin team bike in venezulea - most comfy bike i ever rode but i gave it back Sad as for the giant im no sure they have any in my size Sad i ride a 57cm top tube.
Jamesstout
E, Bronze

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the chinook looks like the right kind of geometry - does anyone know the exact measurements/ angles dave hinde uses?
yorkie
Elite Poster
Elite Poster

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not sure, but if you're in the area and wanted a test ride, i know this lot stock the van nicholas cos that's where i bought it from http://www.cyclesense.co.uk/
MrB
E, Bronze

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/id35933.html
IanW
Cat 2 Groupie
Cat 2 Groupie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ride a Cervelo Team Soloist frame - all aluminum (6061-t6). I ride around 30 to 40miles every day and it is very comfotable even with a 135 gram saddle. You should be able to find one for 600 to 800 pounds (maybe a 07 model).
The only problem I have is that the seat post rattles in the down tube but disappears when I grease the seat pin 2 o 3 times a year.
Jamesstout
E, Bronze

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

how comfyis the soloist those tubes look harsh!
Star2
Cat 1 Groupie
Cat 1 Groupie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can really comment about the frames that you mention but can say that I have been very happy with the Dolans that I have and would recommend them without hesitation. Very good customer service all round.
I have the mythos carbon and have been quite pleased with it. I would agree that its not quite as lively as some alu frames.
jo_malli
Cat 4 Groupie
Cat 4 Groupie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a dolan hercules and i agree it is not the most liveliest frame ive ridden, thats probably due to the medium frame weighs 1300 gms and the fork has an aluminium steerer and weighs 600gms. Having said that the frame is stiff, handles really well and has fantastic finish for the money.

Not sure what the difference the hercules SE to the original hercules apart from the sloping top tube. Interestingly the same mold is used by prorace and called Moros, while the Dolan Mythos is called Zeus.

What about the px sl pro carbon farme for £550 (which im thinking of purchase myself. The frame is a lot lighter with a full carbon fork?
Jamesstout
E, Bronze

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

im just not taken with the px frame - i think it's important that you really like the way your race bike looks and i don't think the px looks special i think the hercules se is lighter - 1.2kg incl fork - i could easily swap the fork for a lighter model if that is very heavy?
zman
Cat 2 Groupie
Cat 2 Groupie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The prorace frames are at least £850 , there is a flanders frame which looks very similar to the Dolan Aeolus.
Hughjars
E, Bronze

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

www.dolan-bikes.co.uk

www.velodromeshop.org.uk
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Technical All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: