Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk :: View topic - How will nicole cooke mess up the olympic rr this time?

Home FAQ Register Usergroups Search Memberlist Gallery StatisticsForum Sponsors •  Photo RequestProfile • Links Log in to check your private messagesLog inBC Eastmidlands

How will nicole cooke mess up the olympic rr this time?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Discussion (Road & General Cycling)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

how will nicole cooke screw up the olympic rr?
geting in the decisive break, towing everyone else to the finish line then getting beaten in the sprint, then moaning that no one would work with her
20%
 20%  [ 8 ]
missing the decisive break, towing the entire field back to it, then getting beaten in the sprint and moaning that no one else would work
32%
 32%  [ 13 ]
does everything right, still gets beaten by marrianne voss
47%
 47%  [ 19 ]
Total Votes : 40

special guest star
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dockeca wrote:
All the analytical hindsight from the combined wisdom of some VRs. Simple fact. A win. Lots of "if" and "but" about tyres, Pooley/Laws, etc., but the essence is that the team tactics worked, and a rider who is correctly regarded as one of the favourites by most of the world WON THE RACE. Personally if there had been a 6 woman team and they all finished battered except for the winner, I wouldn't care, the job is to WIN A GOLD. Which has been effectively done. Next please.....
Can't we just be pleased?

we are pleased - just some post race(match) analysis Wink
AlbertHerring
E, Silver

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be fair to Chiles, he does know a bit more about riding a bike now than he did at the time of last year's SPOTY.
harry g flatters
E, Bronze

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich Hill wrote:
Er ? Whats that I hear?

Quote:
"One large slice of humble pie for 'Flatters"

i wouldn't go that far, it was a win-win situation as far as i was concerned: NC wins and it's a gold for great britain, she looses and i get to say i told you so!

more to the point, i can spend a couple of days laughing at the rank hypocracy of most veloriders posters who think it's ok to smear foreign riders based on the evidence that they won a race once, yet GOD FORBID if someone suggests one of our own might occasionally race like she left her brain in the team bus

thank you, you've all been very entertaining Very Happy
BigRobJef
E, Silver

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

harry g flatters wrote:
Rich Hill wrote:
Er ? Whats that I hear?

Quote:
"One large slice of humble pie for 'Flatters"

i wouldn't go that far, it was a win-win situation as far as i was concerned: NC wins and it's a gold for great britain, she looses and i get to say i told you so!

more to the point, i can spend a couple of days laughing at the rank hypocracy of most veloriders posters who think it's ok to smear foreign riders based on the evidence that they won a race once, yet GOD FORBID if someone suggests one of our own might occasionally race like she left her brain in the team bus

thank you, you've all been very entertaining Very Happy

Come on Harry just suck it up because you were cynic in chief and you were wrong!!
James56038
E, Bronze

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

special guest star wrote:
SueMac wrote:
Gary K wrote:
Vos was one of the casualties off the back after the aging French lady took to the front and started grinding the big gears up the climb. Kristin Armstrong and Judith Arndt were others who suffered.

There was also a crash where Sharon Laws came down and a split happened there too, allowing Cooke and Pooley to go up the road wioth about 12 others. This, for me, was the decisive part of the race.

Nicole took that last corner very, very badly (or carefully) and did mega well to get back to the others in the break. Had any of them have looked back they may have gone for a long one, knowing Cooke was all but dropped, and that *could* have been game over, but fortunately things worked out for girl wonder.

That sprint was awesome. To lead it out from 200m after the effort to get back on coming under the road and up the steepish drag was simply class and raw strength. I thought the Italian might get round her at one point, but she blew badly, allowing Emma Johansson to claim silver.

Fact is, without Pooley and Laws, I reckon I'm safe in saying that Nicole wouldn't have taken gold as she would have had to have done way more work to bring the earlier breakaways back, weakening herself for the finish and probably losing out on a bigger gallop than happened.

It was a great touch to see her seek out both Emma and Sharon at the end and give them BIG hugs and thanks.
A very good team display that should hopefully inspire the rest of the riders in the GB squad. Well done to them.

It was, but body language tells me they weren't that overjoyed...a case of we did our jobs instead of unboundless joy!?!

Maybe that is just me seeing it that way, regardless of that - fantastic stuff!

no - that Emma was definitely non - plussed - looked a bit odd - I think she thought she was in with a good chance herself - but she had dropped off on one of the climbs - but did come back
I think she was just a bit overwhelmed by NC's grabbing, shaking and generally being very excited as well as being a bit knackered....and wet. And I don't know her but she might be quite a reserved person anyway. I'm sure was very pleased with the result and proud of what she did in the race.
dave5n
E, Silver

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dockeca wrote:
All the analytical hindsight from the combined wisdom of some VRs. Simple fact. A win. Lots of "if" and "but" about tyres, Pooley/Laws, etc., but the essence is that the team tactics worked, and a rider who is correctly regarded as one of the favourites by most of the world WON THE RACE. Personally if there had been a 6 woman team and they all finished battered except for the winner, I wouldn't care, the job is to WIN A GOLD. Which has been effectively done. Next please.....
Can't we just be pleased?

I'm pleased Very Happy

The reason I posted the Fotheringham link was because it showed how the planning delivers.
nettie biker
Div 3 Pro

Location: Struggling to keep all the balls in the air.............

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pleased Very Happy
cswebbo
Cat 2 Groupie
Cat 2 Groupie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done Nicole, nice to see her win the biggest event in Cycling after years of near-misses.
A win in the Worlds would be the icing on the cake.
Rosbif
E, Silver

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cswebbo wrote:
Well done Nicole, nice to see her win the biggest event in Cycling after years of near-misses.
A win in the Worlds would be the icing on the cake.

She won the Cragg-vale hill climb as well?
Rich Hill
Tour Winner

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/olympics/cycling/7552339.stm

Why , when I know the outcome do -;

1. I still get excited..
2. I nearly blub... AGAIN!
Stuart

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can see Screech making a guest appearance in this one:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/olympics/cycling/7552544.stm
Tom Butcher
E, Silver

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone know what the course is like for the worlds - would it suit her ?
Wozza
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stuart wrote:
You can see Screech making a guest appearance in this one:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/olympics/cycling/7552544.stm

Laughing he was just getting her autograph then off to the tiddly winks compo round the corner. Either that or Devo were gigging. Wink Laughing Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Discussion (Road & General Cycling) All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: