Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk :: View topic - Mallory Park Handicaping

Home FAQ Register Usergroups Search Memberlist Gallery StatisticsForum Sponsors •  Photo RequestProfile • Links Log in to check your private messagesLog inBC Eastmidlands

Mallory Park Handicaping

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Polls
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Mallory Park Handicaped or Not
Yes
33%
 33%  [ 2 ]
No
33%
 33%  [ 2 ]
Maybe
33%
 33%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 6

pieman
Cat 1 Groupie
Cat 1 Groupie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2002 6:35 am    Post subject: Mallory Park Handicaping Reply with quote

Any one ride the Thursday Mallory park, what do we think to the handicaping . Question

May be a few more laps need, say 10, I think the times were just about right, that is as long as there is more than 10 good (E , 1) cats to chase the other two groups.

What would happen if there were only 5, (E , 1) and 30-40 (2,3,4) Confused would they still be able to bring the other groups back.

Any thoughts...........

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2002 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't ride last night myself, how many did?

How many laps was the race and how much a lead did the 2,3,4 have, 1 lap?

Surely handicapping on a Thursday at Mallory is a good thing if it gets more riding.

Don't shoot me if I'm wrong, because I invariable am, the E's & 1's are only riding Thurdays as training anyway, giving them something to chase from the off must be meat & drink to them.

And the 3's & 4's are happy because they have a race and aren't getting shelled out the back from the off.
GaryH
Cat 1 Groupie
Cat 1 Groupie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2002 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That previous post was me, got logged out somehow.
SMB

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2002 8:39 pm    Post subject: m Reply with quote

Is there any points up for grabs on a Handicapped Thursday race?

If not I can't see the theory of getting more riders will work, because most of the Elites and firsts won't bother to travel, if they are local they will still ride though, perhaps.

If there is points, then handicapping is an excellent race format to boost the numbers.

Points are the only incentive for riders like myself who has to travel 60 miles to get there.

I say the only incentive 'cause the overall league is not an option for me being so far away and working shifts, I can't get there every week, with there being no prize money on the night, points are the only bonus.

A good league though I must say, just wish It was closer to me and I would ride more.
Dave Wilkes
E, Gold

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2002 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I couldn't get there this Thursday, but heard there were plenty of riders. Talking to a few people the opinion seems to be that though it's a good idea, the time gaps need to be made carefully (as I'm sure they will as the weeks go by). The reason being is that some 10 or 12 E/1's rode flat out for most of the race to catch a group of fresh legged 2/3 rd riders Shocked . the inexperience of some then led to some dangerous riding - and ended up in a lairy bunch sprint Rolling Eyes . Now, I know the idea was to dumb down the race for the second cats who complained it was too hard, but, really, they need to do a bit of racing on a thursday! - so - opinion, yes it brings in the riders, but if it carries on making it hard for elites then they'll stop coming (by the way, Hugh Prichard won it I believe. Wink
Larry Hickmott
E, Silver

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2002 10:42 am    Post subject: http://www.britishcycling.org.uk/ Reply with quote

Results as always on British Cycling website... Very Happy

(nearly always... some organisers disaapear into black holes after the event has been run)...

Larry Hickmott
http://www.britishcycling.org.uk/
Paul Mills
E, Silver

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2002 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dave,

You say that the E/1 had to ride flat out, well isn't that the whole idea, as i presume they ride as training and isn't their "highlight of the week."

Also, to keep the e/1 at bay, the 2nd cats must have been riding hard as well Confused , and you say it all came together at the end, so wasn't that good handicapping Question Confused

Just some thoughts

Paul Wink
Dave Wilkes
E, Gold

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2002 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Paul, you're quite right on all points bar one - the 3rds group only chased down anyone who tried to escape (as is the norm) Rolling Eyes - but - and these were riders observations not mine Razz - because the 3rds were caught with a couple of laps to go, there wasn't time to shake out the crazies who had fresher legs - hence a very hairy bunch sprint in which many E/1's don't like to risk. Sad
I do understand that they only did 25 laps, so maybe with another 10 tagged on (as previously remarked on), things should get better, but as it was, the racing became negative from the 2nd cat and 3rd cat groups. Riders opinions please Question Laughing Laughing
pieman
Cat 1 Groupie
Cat 1 Groupie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2002 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with the current setup is any good 2nd or 3rd cat sprinter could sit in and wait for the finish, Confused most of the E 1 would be too tied after chasing to contest the sprint. Surprised

Why dont the organisers make both Tueday and Thursday handicaped Question

Also make the time caps from 4 cats to 2 & 3,s say 2 mins and then set the E,1 1min 30 secs after, as you say Dave add 10 or more extra laps. Wink

Lets see what happens this Thursday. Rolling Eyes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Polls All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: