Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk :: View topic - Replacing mindset with standard integrated headset

Home FAQ Register Usergroups Search Memberlist Gallery StatisticsForum Sponsors •  Photo RequestProfile • Links Log in to check your private messagesLog inBC Eastmidlands

Replacing mindset with standard integrated headset

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Tips & How To
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DenHaag
E, Gold

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:11 pm    Post subject: Replacing mindset with standard integrated headset Reply with quote

The headset on me Specialized E5 frame needs replacing.

The original Specialized outer races look like standard integrated ones, but with an additional section to make them a press fit into the frame headtube. This means a standard crane creek type race will just drop in.

So, question is: will just using the standard push fit race be OK. Do I need to worry that Specialized felt the need to make it a press fit.

I've done a dry assembly, adjusted & tightened up. It feels very smooth.

I could always use some Loctite stud & bearing fit to be sure, but obviously, would prefer not to.

Cheers.

Last edited by DenHaag on Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
mattr
World Champ

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if they are tapered seats and a fairly smooth fit it should be fine. Compare how much the bearing moves with the *CENSORED* one you took out.

Alternatively, do a bit of digging and see what the headset standard is for that frame, all the manufacturers have pulled together a complete set of standards, some of their homepages have a headset selector. This might help.
DenHaag
E, Gold

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pro-lite one I'm trying is the standard crane creek style which appears to match the one listed on the crane creek site. Do you think the press fit was "belt & braces"? Maybe to make sure the frame isn't damaged if the bearings seize or summert...

Seems an odd thing to do - The taper would normally lets it find its natural postion, but it might as well not be there the way they've done it - a step in diameter is all that's needed Confused

It's the later version of the E5 S-Works (longer headtube). I can't remember if the original version had this.
DenHaag
E, Gold

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh well, I'll just build it up with a standard IS41 headset and keep an eye on it. Hopefully I won't end up with a worn headtube!
Chrissylaa
E, Gold

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DenHaag wrote:
Oh well, I'll just build it up with a standard IS41 headset and keep an eye on it. Hopefully I won't end up with a worn headtube!

I had this frameset and a standard integrated is ok.

I also used Cane Creek(the one with a tall top cap),IS 2 i believe.
DenHaag
E, Gold

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chrissylaa wrote:
DenHaag wrote:

I had this frameset and a standard integrated is ok.

I also used Cane Creek(the one with a tall top cap),IS 2 i believe.

Ta.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Tips & How To All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: