Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk :: View topic - Yet another TT fatality...

Home FAQ Register Usergroups Search Memberlist Gallery StatisticsForum Sponsors •  Photo RequestProfile • Links Log in to check your private messagesLog inBC Eastmidlands

Yet another TT fatality...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Discussion (Time Trials/Hill Climbs)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John McC

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hans Datdodishes wrote:
Dobby wrote:
can we all stop having a go at others sports, i belive it is a free choice as to what you ride RR ,TT ,CX ,MTB and track all have risks so if you decide not to do one as you think its to dangerous dont have a go at those that do,
all you will do is drive a bigger wedge between the sport and we will all lose to the motorists and be off the roads.

Stop talking shit. The sooner time trials on dual carriageways are outlawed and the stupid standard distances are dropped the better.
"All have risks"? - you'd better look at how many riders have died per year over the last 10 years in each branch of the sport. Head in the sand cretins chasing artificial times by being sucked along by close passing traffic. Idiots.

Because a time trial is held on a dual carriageway, doesn't mean it is by definition, unsafe, and very often quite the opposite. Just think about it, an island separating traffic of opposite directions aint such a bad thing, is it?
Hans Datdodishes
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John McC wrote:
Hans Datdodishes wrote:
Dobby wrote:
can we all stop having a go at others sports, i belive it is a free choice as to what you ride RR ,TT ,CX ,MTB and track all have risks so if you decide not to do one as you think its to dangerous dont have a go at those that do,
all you will do is drive a bigger wedge between the sport and we will all lose to the motorists and be off the roads.

Stop talking shit. The sooner time trials on dual carriageways are outlawed and the stupid standard distances are dropped the better.
"All have risks"? - you'd better look at how many riders have died per year over the last 10 years in each branch of the sport. Head in the sand cretins chasing artificial times by being sucked along by close passing traffic. Idiots.

Because a time trial is held on a dual carriageway, doesn't mean it is by definition, unsafe, and very often quite the opposite. Just think about it, an island separating traffic of opposite directions aint such a bad thing, is it?

Tell it to the families of the dead riders, see if you can convince them

I'm a qualified coach.
DenHaag
E, Gold

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hans Datdodishes wrote:

Helmets?
Hans Datdodishes
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DenHaag wrote:
Hans Datdodishes wrote:

Helmets?

yes they are

I'm a qualified coach.
officer bob
E, Gold

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DenHaag wrote:
Hans Datdodishes wrote:

Helmets?

but them helmets that offer any protection against 44 tons are a bit heavy Rolling Eyes

'Because a time trial is held on a dual carriageway, doesn't mean it is by definition, unsafe, and very often quite the opposite. Just think about it, an island separating traffic of opposite directions aint such a bad thing, is it?'

I thought about it for about half a second, cyclist at 25miles per hour little/no protection, on a road where large volumes of traffic are doing 50- 90+mph.
A1, roundabout in Bedfordshire, next roundabout northbound is in North Yorkshire, even an overloaded LGV could get a fair whack on between those roundabouts Rolling Eyes

A46 Newark / Widmerpool dual carriageway, designed to speed up traffic now open, bet them course measurers have courses planned already. Sad

Advice given to drivers, " when joining a multi carriageway road build up your speed to match that of the traffic " . So CTTC think it is a good idea to have courses that pass such intersections !

only Careless Thoughtless Thick Cyclists would put false times before their responsibilities to their families
Megman
Div 2 Pro

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So your advocating that all cycles should be banned from dual carriageways?
Hans Datdodishes
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Megman wrote:

YES, unless the traffic has been stopped or is being controlled by race marshals.
Would you let your 12 year old child cycle on the A1?

I'm a qualified coach.
officer bob
E, Gold

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Megman wrote:

NO,

A1/ A62, roads that continue straight off the end of a motorway (ie, no junction) yes,
'testing' most, if it involves passing an intersection,

personally, i'd have thought the riders themselves would ha.................. oh silly me Rolling Eyes
Dogma Dave
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hans Datdodishes wrote:
DenHaag wrote:
Hans Datdodishes wrote:

Helmets?

yes they are

Cool
DenHaag
E, Gold

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

officer bob wrote:

only Careless Thoughtless Thick Cyclists would put false times before their responsibilities to their families

I always wondered what that column was for.
dugpal
Cat 3 Groupie
Cat 3 Groupie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right..

Why are people saying 'I want racing on duel carriageways banned?' when racing on Duel Carriageways is entirely up to the rider entering the race?

Everyone is aware, unless your are completely stupid that cars drive 70+mph down them and on a bike you are racing at around 30mph. This is a risk but is a risk the rider has took when entering the race???

If you think its dangerous to race on them, don't race on them!

I would also say if you are the ones shouting about racing on duel carriageways and don't do it yourself then you may as well be trying to stop the Isle of Mann TT for being dangerous, people enjoy doing dangerous things and if people wish to take a risk racing down a duel carriageway then let them!

I will also add, I feel fairly safe riding down a duel carriageway in comparison to some of the A-roads I've raced down where cars/lorries come from both directions and cyclists on both sides! This is just as dangerous if not more so!!!
DenHaag
E, Gold

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dugpal wrote:
Right..

I would also say if you are the ones shouting about racing on duel carriageways and don't do it yourself then you may as well be trying to stop the Isle of Mann TT for being dangerous, people enjoy doing dangerous things and if people wish to take a risk racing down a duel carriageway then let them!

So err people tt on dual carriageways 'cos they enjoy the danger. What a load of bollox!

Laughing
John McC

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dugpal wrote:

I will also add, I feel fairly safe riding down a duel carriageway in comparison to some of the A-roads I've raced down where cars/lorries come from both directions and cyclists on both sides! This is just as dangerous if not more so!!!

Quite.
Hans Datdodishes
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John McC wrote:
dugpal wrote:

Quite.

Utter utter boll.ocks. Remind me again of the death/fatalities on DCs compared to single carriageways?
Helmets

I'm a qualified coach.
Salsiccia
E, Gold

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dugpal wrote:
Why are people saying 'I want racing on duel carriageways banned?' when racing on Duel Carriageways is entirely up to the rider entering the race?

Everyone is aware, unless your are completely stupid that cars drive 70+mph down them and on a bike you are racing at around 30mph. This is a risk but is a risk the rider has took when entering the race???

If you think its dangerous to race on them, don't race on them!

Sometimes competitive people, especially if they're in with a shout of winning something, might not be best placed to make rational decisions like that. Especially amongst peers with the same mindset. Sometimes people need saving from themselves.

dugpal wrote:

The TT is a completely different kettle of fish. When things go wrong in a closed road motorbike race it is very likely only the rider at fault, and that is part of the buzz - to take risks and push yourself. Risk is an inherent part of that sport. If part of the appeal of time trialling is inordinately risking your life, then forgive my lack of understanding, but I thought the aim of the sport was to push yourself physically and give your best effort. That aim can be achieved whilst limiting risks to yourselves and others and without making yourself look insane to the public at large.
tipper
Cat 2 Groupie
Cat 2 Groupie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I reckon you could do some proper quick times if they let you do TT's in the hard shoulder of motorways.

It's a lane with no other traffic (maybe the odd broken down car you could squeeze past)

And if you ride close to the inside lane you can get the drag from all the lorries coming past

Rolling Eyes
mattr
World Champ

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Salsiccia wrote:
dugpal wrote:

The TT is a completely different kettle of fish. When things go wrong in a closed road motorbike race it is very likely only the rider at fault, and that is part of the buzz - to take risks and push yourself.
I'm sure the TT would be banned instantly if there was no provision for a closed road.
And i'd happily race on any motorway/dual carriageway/runway/motor racing circuit you care to mention, if it was closed.
Wouldn't be so happy if i had 747s coming in overhead whilst i was trying to get a PB, and finish in 97th place, 5 minutes off the pace.
Rolling Eyes
Roy Gardiner
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hans Datdodishes wrote:
John McC wrote:
dugpal wrote:

Quite.
Utter utter boll.ocks. Remind me again of the death/fatalities on DCs compared to single carriageways?
Yes, why not? It wouldn't surprise me if the advocates of DC TTs had one set of numbers, the opponents a different set.

So, the statistics anyone?

"Everything in war is simple, but the simplest thing is difficult." Carl Von Clausewitz
martin smith
World Champ

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not the dcs themselves that are dangerous, it's the lack of concentration required to drive along one without hitting something 99.999% of the time. Drivers just switch off. You can't do that as easily on a single carriageway. Riding your bike along a road with a rep hurtling towards you on his phone and using a laptop isn't a great idea. Now this isn't the fault of the cyclists but it's just what is happening.

I've no statistics but googling time trial cycle fatality only brings up DC incidents as far as I can see.
officer bob
E, Gold

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right..

"Duel carriageway", I thought it was dodgy, but a 'duel' ? Shocked Rolling Eyes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Discussion (Time Trials/Hill Climbs) All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: