Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk :: View topic - Wiggins says helmets should be compulsory...

Home FAQ Register Usergroups Search Memberlist Gallery StatisticsForum Sponsors •  Photo RequestProfile • Links Log in to check your private messagesLog inBC Eastmidlands

Wiggins says helmets should be compulsory...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Discussion (Road & General Cycling)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Shoulfd helmet wearing be made compulsory to help prove driver liability?
Yes
18%
 18%  [ 12 ]
No
81%
 81%  [ 54 ]
Total Votes : 66

DenHaag
E, Gold

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DenHaag wrote:
ColT wrote:
I've been blogging a bit about cyclists' safety recently and have just sat down to write this:

http://fiftyyearsandcounting.wordpress.com/2012/08/02/wiggins-speaks-out-27-2/

Would be interested in any comments and feedback on this (or any other of the posts).

Colin

Your 6 Music post makes no mention of Tom Ravenscroft. Why?

or the excellent Don Letts, Craig Charles ... Cool
16mm
E, Silver

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DenHaag wrote:
DenHaag wrote:
ColT wrote:
I've been blogging a bit about cyclists' safety recently and have just sat down to write this:

Would be interested in any comments and feedback on this (or any other of the posts).

Colin

Or middle age shout outs, and lauren laverne....
DenHaag
E, Gold

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: helmets Reply with quote

Martin Booth wrote:
...........as an aside to this thread.Is it just me or has anyone else noticed that they are being given more room and time by motorists since last w/e.Or have I just had a lucky week,or even more likely.Am i going mad!!!

I'll let you know once me shoulder heals enough for me to get out on the bike. Nice weather we're having. Crying or Very sad

Last edited by DenHaag on Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:52 am; edited 2 times in total
Des

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: helmets Reply with quote

Martin Booth wrote:
...........as an aside to this thread.Is it just me or has anyone else noticed that they are being given more room and time by motorists since last w/e.Or have I just had a lucky week,or even more likely.Am i going mad!!!

Almost got taken out by on 3 separate occasions riding back from the TT on Wednesday, by cars driving straight out of side junctions as I was approaching. Then again I was going through Southall Rolling Eyes
Hans Datdodishes
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Times have been running a massive campaign for cycling safety and more road awareness by drivers.... to quote from their Editorial piece today: "Wiggins is quite right to have noted, when asked, that cyclists have some responsibility for their own safety. Cycling without a helmet is foolish, and cycling while plugged into headphones, as terrifying numbers still do, is something closer to imbecilic."

Its commonsense, you'd have to be a stubborn idiot(*) not to wear one, so why not make it the law?

(*) my degree course included some law. Our lecturer used to quote the 'stubborn idiot' case a lot, basically some bloke who'd been negligent despite having being told what he was doing was a danger. His response - and why it became known to our lecturer as the 'stubborn idiot' case - was "nobody fkng tells ME what to do". Those six words ultimately saw him found guilty

I'm a qualified coach.
Bally
Div 2 Pro

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John McC wrote:

But, according to the CTC's research, those wearing helmets are many times more likely to hit their head than those without, due to risk compensation and the simple fact that your head is twice as big with a lid on. So, perhaps the helmeted should provide their own private health cover?

Good wind up as always, Timothy Rolling Eyes

But then they don't actually hit their head, they hit their helmet which takes the impact!
"real class" - George Gilbert"
ColT
E, Gold

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

16mm wrote:
DenHaag wrote:
DenHaag wrote:
ColT wrote:

Colin

Or middle age shout outs, and lauren laverne....

Sorry about that. Embarassed I have a soft spot for Ravenscroft and Letts, but just don't get to hear them too often. Enjoy the MASOs and Murray Lachlan Young's input on a Friday. Laverne has yet to earn her stripes. Wink

http://fiftyyearsandcounting.wordpress.com/
Chrissylaa
E, Gold

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Head injuries in car crashes.

If the figures showed that there are a lot of head injuries to drivers and passengers in accidents then will we have to wear helmets in our cars aswell?

Not forgetting pedestrians of course as anyone walking about will need a helmet.(lampposts etc)

I have also hit my head on kitchen cabinets so we will need to wear them around the house aswell.
Des

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chrissylaa wrote:

If the figures showed that there are a lot of head injuries to drivers and passengers in accidents then will we have to wear helmets in our cars aswell?

Not forgetting pedestrians of course as anyone walking about will need a helmet.(lampposts etc)

I have also hit my head on kitchen cabinets so we will need to wear them around the house aswell.

You left out on-line forums, I frequently feel the need to hit my head on a brick wall when foolishly opening threads on cycle helmets Rolling Eyes
Chrissylaa
E, Gold

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Des wrote:
Chrissylaa wrote:

You left out on-line forums, I frequently feel the need to hit my head on a brick wall when foolishly opening threads on cycle helmets Rolling Eyes

True dat!! Very Happy
Tom Butcher
E, Silver

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hans Datdodishes wrote:
The Times have been running a massive campaign for cycling safety and more road awareness by drivers.... to quote from their Editorial piece today: "Wiggins is quite right to have noted, when asked, that cyclists have some responsibility for their own safety. Cycling without a helmet is foolish, and cycling while plugged into headphones, as terrifying numbers still do, is something closer to imbecilic."

At most a helmet makes a very slight improvement to your safety whilst cycling - if it's foolish to ride a bike without one then it can't be that sensible to ride one full stop.

Personally I couldn't give a flying one if people wear one or not - most of the time I don't - I suppose I might pay for that one day but who spends the whole of their life avoiding such tiny risks to their health - so tiny that they can't even be proven to exist with any real certainty.

Most people could probably improve their life expectancy more by giving up beer - bet that one's not quite so popular.
Captain Coe
Elite Poster
Elite Poster

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might be a solution if all new cars were designed so that the driver's seat was positioned over the front bumper. In fact, I'm sure I've got an old photo of one just like it. Cool

Circuit of the Fens GP Sportive

Sunday 26th July

09h00 Benwick Kermesse (2/3) 57m
12h00 Circuit of the Fens Pro-Elite Classic, 135m
12h05 Circuit of the Fens (2/3) 75m

www.angliacycling.org.uk
www.circuitoffens.co.uk
Zarate
E, Silver

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Used a crash hat for racing, a few years back. Never owned a plastic helmet, never will. If the compulsion idiots get their way, I'll get errested, OK. And carry on riding. I think that my fit body is less of a drain on the NHS than people who don't ride and can still have the nerve to tell me what to do. My choice, my head, thanks very much. And switch off the life support if the worst happens because I have no wish to "live" as a vegetable. Helmet never stopped anyone getting squashed by an idiot with several tons of metal "losing control", and don't work over 12 mph. So only any use uphill!
All compulsion campaigners, please just shut the French Connection UK up. End.
Hans Datdodishes
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zarate wrote:
Used a crash hat for racing, a few years back. Never owned a plastic helmet, never will. If the compulsion idiots get their way, I'll get errested, OK. And carry on riding. I think that my fit body is less of a drain on the NHS than people who don't ride and can still have the nerve to tell me what to do. My choice, my head, thanks very much. And switch off the life support if the worst happens because I have no wish to "live" as a vegetable. Helmet never stopped anyone getting squashed by an idiot with several tons of metal "losing control", and don't work over 12 mph. So only any use uphill!

Nobody tells Zarate what to fkin do

I'm a qualified coach.
Zarate
E, Silver

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hans Datdodishes wrote:
Zarate wrote:

Nobody tells Zarate what to fkin do

Except for the (present) Mrs Z.....
nedsoldman
E, Silver

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

giropaul wrote:
Hans Datdodishes wrote:
I'd be more pro choice if the people who chose not to wear a helmet had private health cover

I don't follow your logic. If. as helmet supporters claim, you are more likely to survive WITH a helmet, then that will be a bigger, and potentially ongoing, cost to the NHS.

Since when does the private sector deal with emergency head injuries? Thats what we in the NHS do!
Chrissylaa
E, Gold

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nedsoldman wrote:
giropaul wrote:
Hans Datdodishes wrote:
I'd be more pro choice if the people who chose not to wear a helmet had private health cover

I don't follow your logic. If. as helmet supporters claim, you are more likely to survive WITH a helmet, then that will be a bigger, and potentially ongoing, cost to the NHS.

Since when does the private sector deal with emergency head injuries? Thats what we in the NHS do!

+1
sloathe
E, Gold

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hans Datdodishes wrote:
Wearing a helmet never killed anyone. Compulsion is commonsense, but probably wouldn't have made any difference to last nights outcome

Not actually true.
Many years ago a Police Officer was riding along the Wolsington Bypass, next to Newcastle Airport. He was hit a glancing blow from the side by a car and fell sideways. The Coroner confirmed that as the Officers head hit the ground, the helmet absorbed the impact, but then expanded again, causing his head to swing violently to the right, breaking his neck. He was not willing to speculate if the Officer would not have received fatal injuries to the left side of his head had he not been wearing a helmet, but in this case, he could definitely say it did.
aaron22
Cat 3 Groupie
Cat 3 Groupie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

helmet must be compulsory on highway only.
John McC

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aaron22 wrote:
helmet must be compulsory on highway only.

No.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Discussion (Road & General Cycling) All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: