Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk :: View topic - Can you continue to support Cookson?

Home FAQ Register Usergroups Search Memberlist Gallery StatisticsForum Sponsors •  Photo RequestProfile • Links Log in to check your private messagesLog inBC Eastmidlands

Can you continue to support Cookson?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Discussion (Road & General Cycling)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Can you continue to support Cookson?
Yes
50%
 50%  [ 26 ]
No
49%
 49%  [ 25 ]
Total Votes : 51

Killer C
E, Silver

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:39 pm    Post subject: Can you continue to support Cookson? Reply with quote

If the following quote from Cookson is true can you continue to support him?

“Yes I’m confident in the current leadership of the UCI. It’s a difficult situation that we’re under at the moment but it’s important that the UCI remains united and the management committee have had some very interesting discussions and we’ve decided to do what we’ve done,” Cookson told Cyclingnews.

Personally, the answer is no. If I could avoid taking out BC membership I would, but then I couldn't ride BC races.

I first became a British Cycling Federation member in 1981. I have never felt this way before.
Big_n_daft
Cat 2 Groupie
Cat 2 Groupie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm no fan but I think there will be more going on than has been said in public.

However I think it's about time he did a proper interview as a member of the UCI management committee rather than as a glib renta-quote when someone gets caught doping.

A Kimmage Walsh double act should make interesting viewing
John McC

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we need to be a bit more intelligent here. Although it would be nice to see McQuiad go, it is not realistic to expect a member of the UCI management cttee (or whatever it is called) to speak out publically against the UCI President whilst still remaining a member of that management cttee. My view is Brian would have to resign at the same time, which would prevent him from doing whatever he may be doing behind the scenes (which may be nothing, for all I know). So the question really ought to be, should Brian resign from his position in the UCI and call for McQuaid's resignation?

Interestingly I didn't realize until know McQuaid was bent as as rider too:

He was banned from entering the 1976 Olympics after being caught racing in South Africa, in contravention of the anti-apartheid sporting boycott. He had entered the race using a false name, but was identified after being photographed by a press photographer

Wikipedia is your friend.
Tom Butcher
E, Silver

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well if he wants to back McQuaid then it's fair to judge him on that.

I think it would be possible for someone in Cookson's position to speak out in such a way that it left us in no doubt that he thought change at the top was needed if that was his view. If the UCI is an organisation where it's required that you toe the party line in order to hold any position of influence within it then perhaps that is part of the problem.
John McC

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Collective responsibility innit. Just like in the Cabinet, if you publically speak out against the PM, you must resign or be sacked after.
Hans Datdodishes
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The whole BC system of lottery funding is built on a house of straw.

I'm a qualified coach.
DenHaag
E, Gold

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John McC wrote:

Interestingly I didn't realize until know McQuaid was bent as as rider too:

He was banned from entering the 1976 Olympics after being caught racing in South Africa, in contravention of the anti-apartheid sporting boycott. He had entered the race using a false name, but was identified after being photographed by a press photographer

Wikipedia is your friend.

I thought it was well known that he went over with S.Kelly. Has been discussed on here, too.
John McC

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well known by you, does not equate to well known by me, or by anyone else for that matter.
Chrissylaa
E, Gold

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John McC wrote:
Collective responsibility innit. Just like in the Cabinet, if you publically speak out against the PM, you must resign or be sacked after.

Agreed.
LocalBoy
E, Bronze

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to think some posters on this forum knew a lot more about what is going on than I will ever know. If they do they have real issues with interpreting that information and in fact know as much as me; which is f*** all.

As I have posted a number of times the doping authorities are using cycling as it is a soft target. There may be an argument for McQuaid standing down; however I have seen nothing that suggests Cookson has behaved incorrectly at all.

On the contrary if he has all the facts to hand and has decided that McQuaid is doing/has done nothing wrong but is a victim of the circumstances that cheats have put the sport in, then I have to recognize his loyalty as a good thing. I'd much prefer that than your typical career sports administrator who is always playing a political game to position themselves for the next big job.
Tom Butcher
E, Silver

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the argument is that publically backing McQuaid is wrong.

The UCI management committee is not the British cabinet and I don't see why that's a good analogy but if you want to stick with it there are plenty of examples of people resigning from cabinet on a point of principle - and plenty of people who just keep quiet and whose lack of overt support for someone or something speaks volumes. Cookson is quite vocal in his support for McQuaid so it's fair to judge him on that - whether you think he is right or wrong.
mattr
World Champ

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John McC wrote:
Just hope he's actually supporting McQuid for the express purpose of being in an ideal position to take over when the axe does drop.
Chrissylaa
E, Gold

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John McC wrote:
Well known by you, does not equate to well known by me, or by anyone else for that matter.

Er,i thought it was well known. Smile
The Rumpo Kid
Cat 2 Groupie
Cat 2 Groupie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chrissylaa wrote:
John McC wrote:

Er,i thought it was well known. Smile

I thought it was well known too. Could be time for a poll; "Did you know that Pat McQuaid is so incapable of telling the truth he picked up an Olympic ban?" Something along those lines.
Megman
Div 2 Pro

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty well known event, nice to see it got him banned from competing in the Olympics, but not administering it and making future decisions about what is right or wrong to do in the name of sport.

IIRC Kelly and one other went over but it was apparently McQuaids idea and organised by him.
Salsiccia
E, Gold

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kelly was only 20 at the time, and the other rider was Kieron McQuaid. (thanks wikipedia for 'confirming' the details)

I thought the whole thing was pretty well-known. Widely documented at least.
nettie biker
Div 3 Pro

Location: Struggling to keep all the balls in the air.............

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As for McQuaid - I didn't know. So, how does that affect your interpretation of it being well known?

No doubt at least 6 opinions will appear in response to this and most of them will be based upon speculation rather than fact! Rolling Eyes
Plurien
E, Silver

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
most of them will be based upon speculation rather than fact

...er, this is Veloriders y'kno.

I started off in this Cookson thing thinking that he needed to be given credit for negotiating a clean path through the sh|t around this whole episode.
Now I'm not so sure, especially in the absence of any answers latterly.
Mind you there was a bit going on recently, so it wouldn't be wise to break ranks;-
During his introduction to the meeting, the UCI President Mr Pat McQuaid reviewed the situation following the decision to disband the Independent Commission and to set up a Truth and Reconciliation Commission.
Mr Artur Lopes (POR, UCI Vice-President) and Mr Daniel Baal (FRA, Member) were selected to represent the Management Committee in discussions on implementing this initiative due to take place between the relevant departments of the UCI and the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA).
- Extract from UCI report on Meeting of its Management Cttee 2 Feb 2013.
Since we know this now, it does seem a good opportunity to break ranks - If you're bothered to put an end to the present issues and the people who've perpetuated them.

And yes, I did know about McQuaid's ban and found it to be completely in keeping with the progress he's made since. His son's involvement as an agent for pro riders also deserves some scrupulous outside examination, since one wonders whether any suspicion would be deflected from riders or supporters where it otherwise could devalue the human assets on the books of that business. Surely anyone with inside information would not hesitate to support the family.

McQuaid's recent claim to have banned anyone with d0ping history from being part of the sport's entourage is also so widely honoured in the breach that he truly is becoming the Marie Antoinette of our days.
Still waiting for the Sans Culottes Brian?
nettie biker
Div 3 Pro

Location: Struggling to keep all the balls in the air.............

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyway, how do the votes cast only produce 99%? What has happened to the missing 1%?
Killer C
E, Silver

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I started this poll I feel I should clarify my reasoning:

1. The UCI's acceptance of money from Lance.
2. The UCI's tactic of tipping off suspected cheats that they were under suspicion.
3. The complete failure to address the doping issue in any serious way and pretend it was just a few rogues.
4. The failure of the UCI to adequately explain any of the above.
5. The setting up of the UCI investigation, failing to hand over documents and then disbanding, to me parallels, Lance's "I'll publish all my blood tests".
6. McQuaid behaving as if none of the above is of any concern to anyone other than the UCI - i.e. you and me.
7. The fact that McQuaid is now so discredited that he was heavily booed at the world CX presentation - can you ever recall that happening?

And yet, Cookson provides unequivocal support. I just don't get it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Discussion (Road & General Cycling) All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: