Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk :: View topic - Coaching

Home FAQ Register Usergroups Search Memberlist Gallery StatisticsForum Sponsors •  Photo RequestProfile • Links Log in to check your private messagesLog inBC Eastmidlands

Coaching

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Training
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Si Blythe
E, Bronze

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:44 am    Post subject: Coaching Reply with quote

I am due to leave the military in the next 12 months and as part of my transition to civilian life I was planning on doing the BC L2/3 coaching courses.
My question is, how well regarded are these courses and do people employ them successfully to coach riders straight out or do they "attach" themselves to other coaches to learn the ropes so to speak?
cjdjustride
Elite Poster
Elite Poster

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's no doubt that you'll get some negative views on here. But the BC qualifications are the only ones nowadays that are aligned with UK Sport standards. Level 2 is really about learning how to coach more than what to coach and there are a number of restrictions in terms of one to one coaching under its auspices.
Shadowing an established coach with a good reputation is worth the time investment but isn't an absolute requirement and, of course, people will come to the Level 2 with disparate levels of knowledge and cycling experience (if you get on a course you'll see what I mean!).
So, just having a Level 2 or Level 3 certificate doesn't automatically make a good coach, but it's a good start and importantly, gives you insurance cover.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Training All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: