Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk :: View topic - Crank Length on track

Home FAQ Register Usergroups Search Memberlist Gallery StatisticsForum Sponsors •  Photo RequestProfile • Links Log in to check your private messagesLog inBC Eastmidlands

Crank Length on track
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Discussion (Track Cycling)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What length cranks do you use for track at Manchester or Newport?
165mm
52%
 52%  [ 40 ]
170mm
47%
 47%  [ 36 ]
Total Votes : 76

tauruswho
Cat 1 Groupie
Cat 1 Groupie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:03 am    Post subject: Crank Length on track Reply with quote

I have been using 170mm for years, but have been told I must now change to 165mm or I could be sued if there is an Accident!!!!!

Very Happy Very Happy
legro

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would thave thought the BB height is main factor

Fear leads to anger....Anger leads to Stress......Stress leads to Doobies...and Doobies leads to Twinkies

The spirit of Brian must live on
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Magnier
E, Silver

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im 6'2" and i use 165mm cranks.
Andrew R
E, Silver

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Magnier wrote:

I am 6'3" and I have got 165s too. Mind I haven't ridden my track bike for over 2 years so does that count Question Wink
puma
Cat 2 Groupie
Cat 2 Groupie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: Crank Length on track Reply with quote

tauruswho wrote:

I have been using 170mm for years, but have been told I must now change to 165mm or I could be sued if there is an Accident!!!!!

Very Happy Very Happy

How could you get sued? Does the track specifically state you must ride 165s, like Calshot?

I'm on 170 at Manchester and Meadowbank. I know of one guy who pursuits on 172.5
mattr
World Champ

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: Crank Length on track Reply with quote

puma wrote:
tauruswho wrote:
or I could be sued if there is an Accident!!!!!

Very Happy Very Happy

How could you get sued? Does the track specifically state you must ride 165s, like Calshot?

who told you that? Someone with authority who can show you the documentation that says 'thou shalt use 165s or get thine arse sued'.

Or a bloke you met in the pub (or track centre in this case!)
tob
E, Silver

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:02 am    Post subject: BB height Reply with quote

The keeps coming up every so often.

When the Peugeots were bought for Manchester, the smaller frames (21” and below) had an 11” BB height and were fitted with 165mm cranks. Those above 21” had an 11½” BB height fitted with 170mm cranks to suit longer legs. We have always quoted this as a standard to ensure clearance between the right pedal and the track surface. From memory Peter Jaques (City of Edinburgh) had a Corima with a 12” BB height.

Tony Rominger rode a Colnago with a 10 3/8” BB when he was checking the track out for his attempt on the Hour record. However, it should be said that he would have been on his own throughout and perpendicular to the surface nearly all the time.

What we have now (occasionally) are people bringing none ‘standard’ frames (one in particular) with really low BB height having bought the bike/frame and been told that they are safe on Manchester. Even with 165mm cranks I am fairly certain that the pedals are making contact with the surface and I think I have seen one ridden slowly do just that! Until I have proof I won’t name it but if you look along a string or riders the chain stay angle is steeper than most – which suggests a low BB height. I certainly wouldn’t want to ride below a rider on one of these.

Regardless of whether someone might sue for and accident involving a bike with a low BB height, the mind boggles at the thought of a rider on such a bike making contact and losing the back wheel then sliding into a string below doing 28+ below him / her! A fleet of ambulances arriving comes to mind.

Tony
John McC

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

170mm, unless you are a short 'rse then 165mm.
Adam
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I know which bikes you are talking about. They're 'fixed' road bikes, right?

http://twitter.com/adamtranter
mattr
World Champ

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wouldn't a simple flattened V shaped block long enough for a bike show how much pedal clearance is needed for safety, this would include bottom bracket height, crank length and pedal size/width.

Rather than all this 165/170/175 rubbish.

Shouldn't be too hard to work it out, and 15 minutes to put it together.
SteveO
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: Crank Length on track Reply with quote

puma wrote:
tauruswho wrote:

Very Happy Very Happy

I'm on 170 at Manchester and Meadowbank. I know of one guy who pursuits on 172.5

Does Calshot state that? I ride 170's there. Never been a problem.
legro

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Calshot does specify 165's but I know you can get round on 170's np

Fear leads to anger....Anger leads to Stress......Stress leads to Doobies...and Doobies leads to Twinkies

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
John McC

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me too.
tob
E, Silver

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adam wrote:
I think I know which bikes you are talking about. They're 'fixed' road bikes, right?

Yes.
Adman_Rob
E, Bronze

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Magnier wrote:

Um... not on your new bike unless you specifically asked for 165....

Wink
tob
E, Silver

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattr wrote:
wouldn't a simple flattened V shaped block long enough for a bike show how much pedal clearance is needed for safety, this would include bottom bracket height, crank length and pedal size/width.

Rather than all this 165/170/175 rubbish.

Shouldn't be too hard to work it out, and 15 minutes to put it together.

We tried that a long time ago but it means that you are attempting sort a problem after the frame has been purchased. The standards are there to prevent this and a waste of (probably) well earned money.

T
tob
E, Silver

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

legro wrote:
Calshot does specify 165's but I know you can get round on 170's np

Ok if you know what you're on about but a rider fresh to track riding shouldn't be given duff info when he buys his first frame and then be potentially dangerous from the word "go".

T
legro

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

which is why Calshot specify 165

TBK
Div 3 Pro

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

165mm, on frames with bb height varying from 10 3/4", 11" and 11 1/4" but I'm a 5'6" midget

As has been said Rominger used 10 3/8", I think this was for the Superdrome meet after he had got the hour record when he had a head to head with Boardman over 5K? What wasn't mentioned was his hour record bike had 175mm cranks even with this low bb. He had tried 177.5mm if I recall and occaisionally grounded those on the turns

I know of others who have used 175mm and 172.5mm cranks on Manchester in bunch races, but both these were on fairly high bb height frames, one a Cannondale and the other a custom frame. Both were road cranks using a narrower than usual bb axle and pedals with lots of cornering clearance so the eventual height and "angle of dangle" of the pedal was the same if not higher than say an 11" bb frame with 165's and more standard pedals.

If you have a lower bb there are ways of getting around it and similarly longer cranks can be used with the same methods, you just won't be able to spin and accelerate as well as others with shorter cranks.
tauruswho
Cat 1 Groupie
Cat 1 Groupie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Quote:-

Yes I have had an email from Manchester/BCF, saying that riders must have an 11" BB and 165mm cranks. If an Accident happens I could be sued!!!

I have 170mm but 11.25" BB. But it does not say 170 if 11.25". starts to get a bit Grey......

Will be riding 170mm this Friday Night as I don't have the cash or time to change cranks now..

Very Happy Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Discussion (Track Cycling) All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: