Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk :: View topic - Elliot should be going to Athens

Home FAQ Register Usergroups Search Memberlist Gallery StatisticsForum Sponsors •  Photo RequestProfile • Links Log in to check your private messagesLog inBC Eastmidlands

Elliot should be going to Athens
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Polls
View previous topic :: View next topic  

MAL 4 Olympics?
Yes
50%
 50%  [ 32 ]
No, he's past it!!!
50%
 50%  [ 32 ]
Total Votes : 64

The bullet
Cat 3 Groupie
Cat 3 Groupie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 11:33 am    Post subject: Elliot should be going to Athens Reply with quote

He is going awsome and can win races... he is going better than winn???
Whippet
E, Gold

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i put yes, but it's a sort of yeah but no really. he does seem to be the strongest road racer in the UK right now, but don't forget Winn's been injured since April, may well be aiming to peak in August (that's a guess...) and was a european pro last year, not 10 years ago.
rwilki
Cat 1 Groupie
Cat 1 Groupie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 12:42 pm    Post subject: hhmmm Reply with quote

Hard call,

From what I can gather is itsnt a climbers course, more of a sprinters course.
It is hard to say that Malcolm Elliott is going better than Winn overall this year because Winn started the year is fantastic form, until his crash at the NEC i would say he was definately the best in the UK, but over the last month or so Malcom Elliott has shown good form, and of course he has a deadly sprint.
Has Elliott been to the olymics before?????

It is a tough choice, aww sod it, send a crap british continental rider, its what they normally do!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Charlie Wigleuis?????????? On a course more for sprinters??? I thought he was more of a climber myself!!!!!!!!
And how about Dangerfield being left out, he is one guy that deserves an olympic spot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Des

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: hhmmm Reply with quote

rwilki wrote:

It is a tough choice, aww sod it, send a crap british continental rider, its what they normally do!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Charlie Wigleuis?????????? On a course more for sprinters??? I thought he was more of a climber myself!!!!!!!!
And how about Dangerfield being left out, he is one guy that deserves an olympic spot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

At least spell his name right if you're going to insult him. So you'd rather send a team of 5 sprinters with no support. I'm glad you're not the one doing the selection Rolling Eyes

And as for DM that been done to death, and if he hasn't attempted satisfiy the qualifing criteria - what can you expect Question
Rob Bishop
E, Silver

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No point to this, teams are picked and thats it.
Birdy
Cat 1 Groupie
Cat 1 Groupie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elliott - No way, what's with the big Malcolm Elliott fanclub at the moment. He didn't even win that crit the other the week and got a bigger mention than James Taylor. I'm sure CW would have had a double page feature on the race if Elliott had won!! how about giving the rest of us some credit some time. The reason he wins big races is because 90% of people riding Premier Calender races have full-time jobs!!

Jon Dayus should go instead of Julian Winn (with no form and a dubious background)
Andrew R
E, Silver

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob Bishop wrote:

Since when did that stop people Rob Question Wink
Trevor Reade
E, Gold

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think there is one reason why Elliott can't go to Athens (but then again Winn is going so I guess he could have got round it if necessary).
Rob Bishop
E, Silver

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andrew R wrote:
Rob Bishop wrote:

Since when did that stop people Rob Question Wink

To true! Laughing
Jesse
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh dear, and I thought you meant Coggy Embarassed (who got my vote, BTW) Wink
Ben H
Cat 2 Groupie
Cat 2 Groupie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: hhmmm Reply with quote

rwilki wrote:
Hard call,

From what I can gather is itsnt a climbers course, more of a sprinters course.
It is hard to say that Malcolm Elliott is going better than Winn overall this year because Winn started the year is fantastic form, until his crash at the NEC i would say he was definately the best in the UK, but over the last month or so Malcom Elliott has shown good form, and of course he has a deadly sprint.
Has Elliott been to the olymics before?????

The GB team already has 2 riders who can sprint well, Hammond and Hunt, although i expect Hunt will be working solely for Hammond, they do not need another sprinter in the team, and i thought it was more of a classic riders course anyway Question Either way i think the slectors have got it right.
Hans Datdodishes
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trevor Reade wrote:
I think there is one reason why Elliott can't go to Athens (but then again Winn is going so I guess he could have got round it if necessary).

Will Paul Sherwin be commentating Trev?
jk_bike
E, Silver

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: hhmmm Reply with quote

rwilki wrote:

Charlie Wigleuis??????????

you can hardly call charlie wegalius a crap european rider Confused Evil or Very Mad
Jonny H
E, Silver

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: hhmmm Reply with quote

jk_bike wrote:
rwilki wrote:

Charlie Wigleuis??????????

you can hardly call charlie wegalius a crap european rider Confused Evil or Very Mad

If you saw him in the Giro this year pulling the group up mountains you wouldn't say he was crap.
Mat Gregory
E, Silver

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you should praise your countrymen (not the footballers though) not slag them off .
TonyJones
Cat 2 Groupie
Cat 2 Groupie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trevor Reade wrote:

I don't think Winn should have gone after his positive, seems double standards from the BOA. When did Elliot get done?
dockeca
Div 2 Pro

Location: halfway up the South Downs - or halfway down the South Ups!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Team selected. No vets being sent. Hardly a surprise. Just because you can win UK races, means nothing in the really big stuff. Example - SD.
And would Malcolm really want to go and take the place of a younger full time proper (riding in major european/world events) rpo? I hope not.

"Any views expressed are entirely my own and not representative of any organisation of which I may or may not be a member. Unless I say otherwise."
"A Libertarian Crackpot" H.Peel
sloathe
E, Gold

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trevor Reade wrote:

Elliott's *CENSORED* test was a farce, we all know it and its an insult to him to even suggest it should prevent him from going
bonger

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sloathe wrote:
Trevor Reade wrote:

Elliott's *CENSORED* test was a farce, we all know it and its an insult to him to even suggest it should prevent him from going
We don't all know it, i presume he has tests because he wins quality races, but that's about as much as i know.
sloathe
E, Gold

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bonger wrote:
sloathe wrote:
Trevor Reade wrote:

We don't all know it, i presume he has tests because he wins quality races, but that's about as much as i know.

Elliot tested positive for a steroid (the name of which escapes me) after winning stage 4 of the 1992 Vuelta. He lost his win and was placed last on the stage. His team released a statement stating that the steroids must have been in eye drops he was given as he wears contact lenses. The team Doctor obtained a constituent list from the makers and of something like 26 elements, in order of quantity, this steroid was 23.
A week after the test (and after the press attention had went away) the lab which was set up for the Barcelona Olympics, under pressure for the team released a statement:
1. That the steroid found was a very old one, and that there existed far less detectable and more efficient steroids for enchancing performance. It also confirmed that the *CENSORED* is virtually soley used in Spain as a preservative in optical wetting agents.
2. The amount of the *CENSORED* in Elliotts sample was consistent with the amount that would be ingested via the tear duct from eye drops.
3. The amount was so small that it would have no beneficial or conversely, no negative effect if the doseage were stopped.

Elliott to my memory then volunteered to offer a sample to a doctor of their recommendation every day for the next month, stating that as the amount found was so small, it could not be administered any other way than by continuing to take the eye drops. If he was injecting or orally taking the usual amounts that someone looking to enchance their performance would take, it would shoot up. On the other had if he had been taking such quantities and stopped, over the month it would drop down gradually.
The lab refused, stating they had done their job.

The incident re-surfaced when the teams were being selected for the Atlanta Olympics when the Times (of all papers) placed the headline in its pages "Why should we include this *CENSORED* Cheat in the British Olympic Team?" Rolling Eyes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Polls All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: